Work question

Years ago I had a choice of sticking with an easy job and very limited upward mobility … or a tougher job with tremendous growth potential … Been worth it …
If these worksites do not have great potential … take the one that’s convenient because you are “just passing through“
Besides, when you are working and still looking ? That’s good for you and a better image for your next potential boss.

Last edited:
Been there, done that, similar to Rmay635703, only the weekend job was part-time. It takes a toll on you anyway, and what happens if you're told you *have* to be at Job 1 or else, and that's when you're supposed to be at Job 2?

One other thing to consider, would either company have an issue with you working for the other one, and this is an awkward question to ask before you're working for either place. My main employer has a policy on which industries you can/can't take another job at because they don't want us working for the competition. Even though neither of my jobs had any possibility of a conflict in that way, I still had to jump the hoops with HR to prove it.

Simple is your friend. Life is stressful enough as it is..

Reactions: JC1
I am having difficulty figuring out what is being said here lol.

He meant that that place is likely to drop you from consideration since you can't organize your thoughts and write clearly.

If it was the agency in a town an hour away. it's no loss. Be more careful next time.

He meant that that place is likely to drop you from consideration since you can't organize your thoughts and write clearly.

If it was the agency in a town an hour away. it's no loss. Be more careful next time.

I may need to clarify maybe tomorrow what Job 1 is (I have,) what Job 2 is (possible weekend opportunity, would be accommodating me, they have one weekend position,) more information etc maybe tomorrow.

It sounds like you're looking for full time, second shift, operating a forklift, particularly the reach type, since you have quite a bit of experience with that machine. Be specific in asking for that.

And never use emojis in business communication. Ever.

I’d just work one job, I’d only take the further job if they offered significantly more money and better benefits over the closer place.

If you need/want to supplement your income door dash or something similar is always an option.

For this new job I would ask what type of advancement opportunities are available later on as well as training etc. Show that you are interested in growing with the company.

As others have said, don't talk about the other job. If this job is better, then it's time to move on. Leave the current job on good terms and if the new job doesn't work out, you can go back to the the current job if you left on good terms. Be polite and thank your current employer for the opportunity, and say this is a good opportunity that I cannot pass up.

It sounds like you're looking for full time, second shift, operating a forklift, particularly the reach type, since you have quite a bit of experience with that machine. Be specific in asking for that.

And never use emojis in business communication. Ever.

Oh. That.

Your assessment is more or less correct. I seem to get into trouble with too much free time. ("Free time" is my own personal life, on the weekends, with no work, no schedule... hilarity ensues.)

Work would take care of that.

Ms. Damaris was very nice, the emoji was simply an attempt at keeping everything lighthearted.. these postings or positions, there's no background check or anything and if I pass the Practical test (I will. Skills assessment, on site) I'm in.

I think I'm going to be truthful. I am going to tell them I work a 2nd shift closer to home; not sure I should disclose my rate. The job I presently have DOESN'T CARRY TEMPS THROUGH THE SLOW SEASON, but they want to just hire me on to fill 1 of 4 positions they just can't seem to fill, so, the end result is I should be staying.
Well your current job loves you and that's great for stability. I'd stay with them.

Interviewing with someone else won't hurt, though, and you can wait for the job offer. When the offer comes in then you can counter with "well my existing job just promoted me to full time with benefits but if you can pay $xx.xx I'll switch to you."

Would your existing job schedule be M-F 2nd shifts or something all-over-the-place?

For this new job I would ask what type of advancement opportunities are available later on as well as training etc. Show that you are interested in growing with the company.

As others have said, don't talk about the other job. If this job is better, then it's time to move on. Leave the current job on good terms and if the new job doesn't work out, you can go back to the the current job if you left on good terms. Be polite and thank your current employer for the opportunity, and say this is a good opportunity that I cannot pass up.

Very quickly while I am on break, I am on a roll tonight (if there is a way to "do this right." Fine. Let's do that then.)

I think eljefino put it correctly, "My job loves me." They do. Honestly, they are struggling to keep the doors open two days of the week and they are NOT a publicly traded company.. so they get to do what they want with their $. 7 days after I started as a temp, they gave everyone a bonus I think it was about $3000-$4000 I don't know but I heard. I had to be the uneasy comedian and just state.. "Okay this is my 7th day so I already know I'm not getting that."

This job COULD maybe take me to Texas. I have to prove myself. We are in "Show me your worth" mode. But they DO like me.

Again. I was told.. a few small adjustments to my work (believe it or not, nothing to do with a cell phone. We are allowed to budget our time.. Okay moving on) and I WILL be hired.

This is very good news.

Now, one of the tricks in the Corporate Playbook is there is nothing stopping them from hiring you away from the temp agency and then laying you off.

But it seems like this company doesn't roll like that.

The weekend gig.. well we need to wait for them to interview me, that agency already did. The final decision rests with the client.

Company A already told me they could have let me go. Just call 📞 up the agency and say they don't need a temp anymore. Done.

But, as mentioned. Yes they do like me.

I'm in the "Low skill, high ambition" on the square chart.

Low skill, low ambition = motivate to leave the company.
Low skill, high ambition = Work with, to teach skills.
High skill, low ambition= worse than the above.
High skill, high ambition = Me at previous work.

So it's more about what - if anything, really,- happens with the weekend.. and the two days of 12 hour shifts.

Sure is better than.. oh, discussing.. tows. ;)

Reactions: JC1
Very quickly while I am on break, I am on a roll tonight (if there is a way to "do this right." Fine. Let's do that then.)

I think eljefino put it correctly, "My job loves me." They do. Honestly, they are struggling to keep the doors open two days of the week and they are NOT a publicly traded company.. so they get to do what they want with their $. 7 days after I started as a temp, they gave everyone a bonus I think it was about $3000-$4000 I don't know but I heard. I had to be the uneasy comedian and just state.. "Okay this is my 7th day so I already know I'm not getting that."

This job COULD maybe take me to Texas. I have to prove myself. We are in "Show me your worth" mode. But they DO like me.

Again. I was told.. a few small adjustments to my work (believe it or not, nothing to do with a cell phone. We are allowed to budget our time.. Okay moving on) and I WILL be hired.

This is very good news.

Now, one of the tricks in the Corporate Playbook is there is nothing stopping them from hiring you away from the temp agency and then laying you off.

But it seems like this company doesn't roll like that.

The weekend gig.. well we need to wait for them to interview me, that agency already did. The final decision rests with the client.

Company A already told me they could have let me go. Just call 📞 up the agency and say they don't need a temp anymore. Done.

But, as mentioned. Yes they do like me.

I'm in the "Low skill, high ambition" on the square chart.

Low skill, low ambition = motivate to leave the company.
Low skill, high ambition = Work with, to teach skills.
High skill, low ambition= worse than the above.
High skill, high ambition = Me at previous work.

So it's more about what - if anything, really,- happens with the weekend.. and the two days of 12 hour shifts.

Sure is better than.. oh, discussing.. tows. ;)
I think you're misguided (or I am) about high skill, low ambition being worse than above. High skill, low ambition people are the workhorses of any company. They get the job done. There are tons of people that are very good at their job that like doing their job. Go to work, do their job well, go home. Not interested in doing more.

People here are trying to teach you better business communication skills. Pay attention to them.

Last edited:
I didn't update straightaway, but I decided to accept the 2nd opportunity.

I feel i need the money.

I start tomorrow morning.

If it becomes too much, I'll have to graciously let the agency know... however, if it becomes slow, they also let us know if we are not needed.

And thus begins the burning of the candle at both ends.

Let's see if I can power through.

I've taken on two jobs a few months back. One is for a national grocery store chain that has so much turnover it's scary the other for a hotel where i previously worked. The grocery store is ran by lazy management and am now having issues with my schedule. I have to work the next 14 days straight because the managers at the store keep saying "There's nothing they can do, they don't have anyone else to work." Make sure if you take on two jobs, that both companies don't double schedule you.

120 miles / 18 mpg = 6.6 gallons * $2.50 / gal = $16.50 / commute.

That's gas alone. So two hours driving and at least 1 hour working to pay for the gas before you have earned anything.

I've taken on two jobs a few months back. One is for a national grocery store chain that has so much turnover it's scary the other for a hotel where i previously worked. The grocery store is ran by lazy management and am now having issues with my schedule. I have to work the next 14 days straight because the managers at the store keep saying "There's nothing they can do, they don't have anyone else to work." Make sure if you take on two jobs, that both companies don't double schedule you.
You don't "have" to do anything. Tell your manager the days you won't be in, they'll cope.

Back