Work question

Okay! Without going into too many details, I work a 2nd shift, and I was told last week they *want* to hire me. Only a few small adjustments related to work that I have to make on my part and I should be good to go.

A half hour ago, I get a text from one of the many places I applied (carpet bomb approach, slight fine tuning but. Pray and spray) and they have multiple positions available, a little farther away but... hmmm, maybe I can do two jobs??

They say they have first and second shift, multiple warehouse, same thing im doing now, reach truck/forklift. Then they also say they have Customer Service.

I am inclined to ask them if they have part time.

What would you do?

Depends on if you like your job or second shift I guess. Also depends how much you want to work. I worked two jobs most of my life.

So far, this is what I got

20210125_090539.jpg

Depends on if you like your job or second shift I guess. Also depends how much you want to work. I worked two jobs most of my life.

Well yes, this job I really enjoy and *MAY* be my way in to Texas. Not next month but maybe in a year or two...

I think I'm going to be truthful. I am going to tell them I work a 2nd shift closer to home; not sure I should disclose my rate. The job I presently have DOESN'T CARRY TEMPS THROUGH THE SLOW SEASON, but they want to just hire me on to fill 1 of 4 positions they just can't seem to fill, so, the end result is I should be staying.

Maybe I should ask them also if they have part time? As much as I want to be, I can't be in two places at once . ?

That town is also a hike, about an hour from me.

So is the other job nearer to you? Same pay or better?
I would prefer shorter commute myself?.

Well if you like what you do and they want to hire you I say go for it. But it is your call as you will be the one working and doing everything.

No one else can answer this for you.

While that is true, I am sure some have experience with maybe things like this.. what would they do.. what you say is true..

I've been in a position where I have overloaded myself and lost both and do not want to revisit that again.

Well yes, this job I really enjoy and *MAY* be my way in to Texas. Not next month but maybe in a year or two...

I think I'm going to be truthful. I am going to tell them I work a 2nd shift closer to home; not sure I should disclose my rate. The job I presently have DOESN'T CARRY TEMPS THROUGH THE SLOW SEASON, but they want to just hire me on to fill 1 of 4 positions they just can't seem to fill, so, the end result is I should be staying.

Maybe I should ask them also if they have part time? As much as I want to be, I can't be in two places at once . ?

That town is also a hike, about an hour from me.
Take full time. You get thousands of dollars of benefits like Heath and sometimes 401K, worker comp, dismemberment and Life insurance. Also full Unemployment if you get laid off.
With your old cars you don't need a long commute, and the fuel cost and a loss of about 3 hours of your life every day on the road with all of its life shortening frustrations.

Stay close to home. FT job.

Last edited:
Take full time. You get thousands of dollars of benefits like Heath and sometimes 401K, worker comp, dismemberment and Life insurance. Also full Unemployment if you get laid off.
With your old cars you don't need a long commute, and the fuel cost and a loss of about 3 hours of your life every day on the road with all of its life shortening frustrations.

Stay close to home. FT job.

I was going to say.. That's what I have in present 2nd shift position.

Full time. Closer to home.

ONE JOB ONLY.

Each time you've worked two jobs everything has fallen apart. You must learn to find the middle of the road. One job. One car. Get things squared away - job, personal life, finances, all of it before taking on more.

Full time. Closer to home.

ONE JOB ONLY.

Each time you've worked two jobs everything has fallen apart. You must learn to find the middle of the road. One job. One car. Get things squared away - job, personal life, finances, all of it before taking on more.
Full time if possible. One job.

Don't give any company too much info ... the less they know about you and your personal life the better. if you have a second part time job and its not interfering with any of your jobs and you are not violating any company rules (e.g. moonlighting , competitors , etc.) ... they don't need to know.

It's a business relationship and they are NOT your friend. Specifically be VERY careful with casual talks with your boss or managers ... Don't go too much off subject chit chatting with them. It could be used against you. Stay focused and on the subject.

You have to look for your own interest. If you find a better and secure full-time job with better pay and benefits (health insurance , sick leave , vacation, etc.) go for it. In the biz world there is no loyalty. $ talks.

also be positive and interested even if your are not but don't act desperate!

I think that text is suggesting an interview. Warehouse people are plentiful, I would not be making demands unless you want to be eliminated off the candidate list. I am sure there are many who want the full time work right now. To make a change, it's your decision not ours.

If you’re wanting a second part time job,make that one as convenient and close to home as possible.

Are you "interested" or "thinking"?
They listed 3 positions ... Are you applying for all?
Stay focused and think about what you can offer or want you want to know from them and be more specific.

It's not like casual bitog conversations ... it pays the bills so you need to focus more and review a few times before clicking on send.

just like anything in life, this job or that job has an opportunity cost associated with

you'll need to wage it closely for yourself

Back