Word to the wise

Status
Not open for further replies.
Probably preaching to the choir her at BITOG. I bought a 2005 Yamaha VStar 650 Silverado used last week. (Me and the wife are 6' tall, getting two up on the Ninja to catch HOV probably a no-go). Bike has 2600 miles on it. Owner stated as to service history "It's good till 5000". Being a cautious type, I bought a Fram CH004 and three qts of Delo 15w-40 and went to work. Oil around outside of filter cartridge housing showed plenty of sparkly wear metals. (Yamaha says 4400 mile service interval, but 1000 mile break in interval for initial service). Got that wrapped up an ordered a qt of Amsoil 80w-90 syn gear lube. Just drained the final drive, you guessed it, plenty of sparkly wear metal. I would submit that break in service is a must, and I will do a short interval this time, just to get rid of any excess wear metals.

The 1000 mile service was probably skipped by the PO, or as is often the case, the dealer charged for the service but didn't actually do it.

Originally Posted By: Vesparado
The 1000 mile service was probably skipped by the PO, or as is often the case, the dealer charged for the service but didn't actually do it.

Sad but likely the case.

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
Originally Posted By: Vesparado

Sad but likely the case.

Guy at another forum took a Suzuki SV1000 V-Twin in for its valve adjustment. They are a genuine pain to get to, which is why he had the dealer do it. Anyway, he stuck a small piece of clear tape on the backside of the valve cover - when he picked up the bike (and the $600 bill!!) the piece of tape was still there - the valve cover had never been removed!! When he confronted the dealer, they hemmed/hawed, and then sheepishly admitted that they just 'listened to it, and it didn't sound like they needed adjusting..'!!! Needless to say, he didn't pay the bill!
21.gif

You should also pull the back wheel on this V-Star as there were quite a few that left the factory without enough grease on the rear driveshaft splines.

Here is a great place to get advice on these bikes:

"650 V Stars "Custom, Classic & Dragstar" It's a Delphi forum and the guys on there are a wealth of info on the V-Stars.

I have an 06 Classic that now has 4000 miles and I use the Shell Rotella synthetic in mine with great results.

They are great bikes. I really like mine!

i know of a guy who caught a bike dealership using their security cameras to prove no valve adj. was done...i trust one bike mechanic in the area currently,if buying used good idea to service bike yourself right away.. 95 busa's story another example.

Thanks for the advice on the rear splines! I do as much of the work myself as I have time and tools for. What I do, I do right, which is good peace of mind. I'm thinking about that Jardine oil filter conversion kit, a spin on has got to be better, and is certainly easier to service! We plan on using the heck out of this bike, long trips and everything else, so it's important to keep it well maintained. We hope to make a few long trips a year, and we're not too worried about going fast, so we think it will be ideal. I might switch to a synthetic just 'cause it's aircooled though. I'm thinking the Rotella 5w-40 will be the ticket.

That's why I do my own oil changes and whatever repairs I can do myself. If I have to go to a dealership for work to be done, it's done while i'm there (outside watching). My local Honda/Yamaha dealership is pretty striaght-forward and honest and doesn't mind at all - as long as i'm not in the middle of it and in their way.

I can't tell you guys how many times over the years that i've seen the first service (break-in) skipped or ignored - saying 'Oh, it's good till 3000'. Everything I have (other than cars) I change the oil in a couple of times pretty quickly to get rid of the glitter/wear metal that comes loose initially. It has to help in the long run - especially on smaller eninges that only have an oil screen and no actual filter.

Last edited:
Gotta love shady dealers!

I'm certain there many stories out there concerning shoddy workmanship or work claimed done and the bike never touched. I've had my own unpleasant experiences but have found a bike shop that has an excellent mechanic that I trust.

The only bike that I bring in for a valve adjustment is the KLR due to having dual overhead cams. When I drop it off, I leave them with a written list of requirements that I expect. I want to know the before and after clearance for each valve, I want to know the size of shims removed and replaced for each valve that required a shim change and I want to see the shims removed.

I know that a shop could fake all of the above requirements but they likely won't. When you walk in with a list of technical requirements, it gives the dealership an indication that you know what's supposed to be done and probably how it's done. They're not likely to pull a fast one if there's a chance they'll be caught.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back