Word censoring in this forum

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the word censoring function in this forum goes way overboard. I'm all for disallowing swear words, but since when is the "F" word used to describe a person passing gas a swear word? Also, even just using the letters "B" and "S" together is censored. "C R A P" is also not a swear word, but is censored out by the site. I don't mind the nasty swear words being censored, but come on, we're all adults here....

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
Quote:

we're all adults here....

That is where you are misinformed.

Well, if a person gets offended by the the word "c r a p" then maybe they shouldn't be in the forum....

I say leave them out.No reason why i would want to hear someone say they passed gas at all.There's many alternative words to use in place of c r a p

Originally Posted By: grampi
Quote:

Well, if a person gets offended by the the word "c r a p" then maybe they shouldn't be in the forum....

The intent of my post was to indicate that the site does not only have adults as members.

Quote:

The intent of my post was to indicate that the site does not only have adults as members.

Okay, c r a p and f a r t are too harsh for kids? Give me a break!

Originally Posted By: daves66nova
I say leave them out.No reason why i would want to hear someone say they passed gas at all.There's many alternative words to use in place of c r a p

Yep, there's one that starts with an "S", but that gets censored out too....

Sometimes a post loses it's intensity and/or humor when it is censored.
Just use a G-rated word.

Some doofus in a [flatulence] can equipped 4th gen Civic was trying to race me last night. Where were we going to race? There was only about a car length between him and the car in front of him and yet this idiot is revving his piece of [solid waste] D15 at me and staring me down

What I don't understand is if you type for example "c r a p" instead of the s-word you can be considered "bypassing the censor" and can potentially be banned. What is bypassing the sensor? If you edited your word so that it is not censored then you have censored your word already and how have you done anything wrong? It never made any sense to me
confused2.gif

Thankfully, it is not your decision as to what is appropriate for other's children.

I'd like to think these forums are a safe haven for learning some good info about car maintenance et al without any garage talk. YMMV. No reason to make it a race to the bottom.

Expressing oneself without vulgarities... not that difficult.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Spazdog
Sometimes a post loses it's intensity and/or humor when it is censored.
Just use a G-rated word.

Some doofus in a [flatulence] can equipped 4th gen Civic was trying to race me last night. Where were we going to race? There was only about a car length between him and the car in front of him and yet this idiot is revving his piece of [solid waste] D15 at me and staring me down

But aren't you bypassing the censor? Ban time
grin.gif

Thankfully, it is not your decision as to what is appropriate for other's children.

I'd like to think these forums are a safe haven for learning some good info about car maintenance et al without any garage talk. YMMV. No reason to make it a race to the bottom.

Expressing oneself without vulgarities... not that difficult.

And again, I don't have a problem with censoring the vulgarity, but words like c r a p and f a r t are not vulgar, even to the most innocent of ears...

Quote:

Oh so true.....

Yeah, everything is banned on this forum. Even if a word is censored, you can end up banned just because you can see what the word was if you hit "Quote".

It's a refreshing change to come on here and not have the usual mismanaged board that other forums I follow have. Constant foul words, a million threads on the same topic and incoherent posts aren't found here.

At first I thought it was a little overzealous, but now I understand and appreciate it.

Yah, Part of my new post breast cancer life is to stop cussing. I also dont watch or read stuff with too much blood or sadism. Screw ball comedies . Epics of human triumph is my dish. I come here to shoot the breeze with people not assert myself and joust with folks. Many sides of many subjects are aired here. Most of the places I frequent have some sorta rules. It is a simple thing. You want to hang here, speak civilly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back