Word censoring in this forum

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: andyd
Yah, Part of my new post breast cancer life is to stop cussing. I also dont watch or read stuff with too much blood or sadism. Screw ball comedies . Epics of human triumph is my dish. I come here to shoot the breeze with people not assert myself and joust with folks. Many sides of many subjects are aired here. Most of the places I frequent have some sorta rules. It is a simple thing. You want to hang here, speak civilly.

I wish you the best in beating that nasty decease. I'm with you in that cussing shouldn't be allowed in the forum. However, and maybe I'm missing something here, using words like c r a p and f a r t aren't cussing. They are actually cute replacement words for some other words that I think are not acceptable in a "G" rated forum, hence the reason I started a topic aimed at pointing out how the censoring function of this forum goes too far....

Originally Posted By: JustinH
Children read a motor oil site? Wow, I never gave it a second thought as a young kid.

I was thinking about how bored a child would have to be to participate in an oil forum, but hey, if they're here, good for them! It's much better that they're here rather than being out causing trouble...

The kind of parents that would not want their children hearing the two aforementioned words are the same kind that would not let their children on the internet at all. And, if those same kids did somehow gain access to the internet, they wouldn't be wasting that precious opportunity looking at motor oil websites.

Originally Posted By: grampi
Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
we're all adults here....

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1705020&page=1

Some people aren't...

56.gif

I guess it depends on which side of that argument you're on....some people can't handle facts....

I rest my case.

I dont worry about it really. Most forums I am on dont allow outright cuss words but do allow substitutes that still gets the point across. Other forums I am a member of allow full on, outright cuss matches but I find that in everyday posting my posts dont really have swear words anyway. I get a chuckle out of the censor here. It reminds me of our work "nanny", it blocks sites that multiple employees frequent and spend a lot of time on. After a couple weeks after a reset our company website is blocked lol. The first one is always Facebook, and I have never had a forum blocked. Ironically youtube is also never blocked.

Originally Posted By: 97f150
I dont worry about it really. Most forums I am on dont allow outright cuss words but do allow substitutes that still gets the point across.

Done properly it's really funny. One forum I used to be on replaced the "2nd worst word" with "nuts", so you'd say, "oh, nuts, I dropped a rock on my foot". People would also say, "I packed up my nuts and left town" which reminded me of a squirrel running around!
lol.gif

Of course, it ain't your house, it ain't your rules (and it took until page three to point this out?) If you go somewhere interesting in person it may have eccentric (feeling) rules too.

we're all adults here....

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1705020&page=1

Some people aren't...

56.gif

I guess it depends on which side of that argument you're on....some people can't handle facts....

I rest my case.

I think you have to make a point before you can rest your case...

Originally Posted By: mechanicx
Originally Posted By: Spazdog
Sometimes a post loses it's intensity and/or humor when it is censored.
Just use a G-rated word.

Some doofus in a [flatulence] can equipped 4th gen Civic was trying to race me last night. Where were we going to race? There was only about a car length between him and the car in front of him and yet this idiot is revving his piece of [solid waste] D15 at me and staring me down

But aren't you bypassing the censor? Ban time
grin.gif

27.gif

crackmeup2.gif

I am assuming that if you know which vulgar word fits, it's probably part of your daily vernacular and you wouldn't be offended.
grin.gif

Grow up, grampi.
It's Bob's house and Bob's rules, although really Helen's now.
If you find the rules overly onerous, tune out.
I can promise you that your cute constructions of prohibited language will get you a PM from the mods advising you not to try to defeat the censor software.
I don't really care to read you or anyone else using langauge not appropriate to polite company on this board.
If that bothers you, don't post.
Yes, I can curse like a sailor, but there is a time and a place for that, and this board isn't it.

I find foul language in bad form and poor taste. Generally used by folks who use it as a crutch because they can't talk without it.

Kind of like a young girl using "like" every other word because, like, well, like, they cant, like create a reasonable sentence like quickly to hold, like, proper conversation, without, like, using like the word like, like all the time.

[censored], [censored], and a few very surprising words are censored here.

I'm just going to have to start swearing in other languages.

I haven't felt like this since middle school.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Generally used by folks who use it as a crutch because they can't talk without it.

Perhaps generally, but I haven't found that to be the case. I have an degree in English and an IQ of over 130. I generally don't hang around with folks that are offended by words because in my own little stereotypical world view, those people are narrow minded (present company is, of course, excluded)
wink.gif
. I find vulgarities particularly expressive in a way other language just can't match and I have no problem availing myself of their unique qualities in an informal setting. I view the more tame and socially acceptable words employed in lieu of vulgarities to be nothing more than a crutch used by those who choose to hobble themselves. What is perhaps most entertaining about these people who are offended by words is they are almost always the ones whose voices can be heard at the very top of the chorus decrying "politically correct" language as leftist doublespeak.

However, while in my opinion these restrictions are silly and unfounded, it's important to remember that I don't run the place. I enjoy the opportunity for discourse that this forum provides, however linguistically limited it may be.

We had the privilege of having a 10 year old boy that wanted to be just like his dad and he registered to become a member. His father ask me to delete his account because he was not mature enough to post on this site. He is allowed to read the site and when he wants to research something his dad helps him. We have people from all walks of life on this site.

Profanity is a crutch for people that do not have the imagination to use a wide variety of words to convey their point of view.

Helen

Originally Posted By: greenaccord02
Generally used by folks who use it as a crutch because they can't talk without it.

Perhaps generally, but I haven't found that to be the case. I have an degree in English and an IQ of over 130. I generally don't hang around with folks that are offended by words because in my own little stereotypical world view, those people are narrow minded (present company is, of course, excluded)
wink.gif
. I find vulgarities particularly expressive in a way other language just can't match and I have no problem availing myself of their unique qualities in an informal setting. I view the more tame and socially acceptable words employed in lieu of vulgarities to be nothing more than a crutch used by those who choose to hobble themselves. What is perhaps most entertaining about these people who are offended by words is they are almost always the ones whose voices can be heard at the very top of the chorus decrying "politically correct" language as leftist doublespeak.

However, while in my opinion these restrictions are silly and unfounded, it's important to remember that I don't run the place. I enjoy the opportunity for discourse that this forum provides, however linguistically limited it may be.

Well-put sir, and I echo your sentiment. It is quite possible to be tastefully profane
wink.gif
Though I'm sure we've both seen the other side of the fence where an individual's vocabulary is limited to expletives and words like "aint". These are the people who quite aptly fit the mould that JHZR2 is describing.

Interesting that you mention IQ.... You are not the first (though you are in this context) to mention it on here within the last week or so. And the last person to mention theirs listed a number that was also over 130. I know we have a large number of engineers on here and it makes me curious just how many members fall in this camp.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
Originally Posted By: greenaccord02

wink.gif

Well-put sir, and I echo your sentiment. It is quite possible to be tastefully profane
wink.gif
Though I'm sure we've both seen the other side of the fence where an individual's vocabulary is limited to expletives and words like "aint". These are the people who quite aptly fit the mould that JHZR2 is describing.

Interesting that you mention IQ.... You are not the first (though you are in this context) to mention it on here within the last week or so. And the last person to mention theirs listed a number that was also over 130. I know we have a large number of engineers on here and it makes me curious just how many members fall in this camp.

I also agree with this sentiment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back