Woot - taking sample - 16+k miles on SSO 0w30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all,

Bout to go on vacation for 2 weeks straight where I'll be away from my car, so it's time to take out the SSO and send it in for analysis.

Going to have about 16.1k on the oil once I drain it (2006 Honda Civic SI with 66.6k miles on it now). Very curious to see how it does....it did fine with 14.5k miles, but I had a whole extra quart of consumption and top-off....this time my consumption dropped a bit, and I haven't topped it off so the sump has about .5 quart less oil to disperse metals into....

Very excited. Looking forward to posting results after my vacation! :)

Joe

I'm really looking forward to this analysis. Having no make-up oil makes it a bit more 'accurate' of a reading....

What oil did you replace the SSO with?

I am too. I should have one that is somewhere around 14k miles from my saab. I sent it in a few weeks ago. My OLM said the oil was done... UOA will determine for sure.

Originally Posted By: addyguy
I'm really looking forward to this analysis. Having no make-up oil makes it a bit more 'accurate' of a reading....

What oil did you replace the SSO with?

Addyguy - Sorry I wasn't clear (I will be when I post the analysis, don't worry).

I actually added 2.5 quarts of make-up oil over the course of the 16k miles. My previous run was 14.5k miles on SSO and I added 3.5 quarts over that time.

I'm replacing the SSO with PP 5w30 and planning on running it for 10k.

Well, if you've got to add oil, you've got to add oil!

It's good that you 'held off' on the last top-up, to not 'skew' the results with 'brand-new' oil, though....

I'd go 12k on the PP...it can do it.

Addyguy - Probably can, but I'm not comfortable without first sampling at 9-10k and seeing where it's at.

I'll probably run PP 5w30 or similar for the life of the car at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back