Woodworking Finishing Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

JOD

Fellow wood destroyers,

I'm finishing some clear fir doors and windows (interior), and I'm using Watco's Danish finish in natural, this stuff here: LINK

It is absolutely perfect for the application, and I've been really happy with results. Still, I'm a cheap....er...thrifty sort, and I can't get past the feeling that I would make this myself for about 1/4 the price. I can get pure tung oil, etc from a local Woodcraft, and mix my own, but I'm at a loss on what/how to mix this stuff. Anyone have any suggestions? Stop whining and just buy the Watco stuff?? I'm going to be doing a bunch of CVG fir windows, which are completely dry after being unfinished for about 10 years. Thanks!

Watco's is great, easy to use and repair - worth getting a book on finishing to understand the difference between a penetrating finish, film-forming, etc...

IIRC - Watco's is an oil/varnish mix. If you mix roughly 1/3 Varnish, 1/3 Turpentine, and 1/3 Linseed Oil (boiled, if you want it to dry this century...boiled means that metallic dryers have been added), you'll get a century-old approximation of Watco...

But don't trust my memory (that recipe was my grandfather's for finishing, and I don't remember the proportions)...check out a book from the library and read up...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back