Wooden front door advice

Just finished painting the house and redoing the deck with Benjamin Moore products. Came out beautiful...
The last thing I need to do is refinish our front door. I was warned not to buy this door, but of course I knew better. The South Bay sun beats on it.
My painter told me he could refinish it with a light stain and then do an annual quick redo. @demarpaint please come in.
I appreciate your guidance; thanks in advance.

1718234656845.jpg

1718234678603.jpg

Our home doors are all wood. They’re just over 100 years old. The rear one that gets a lot of sun is painted. The front which gets am sun is stained and has spar urethane on it. It has held up a long time.

Nice door! A light stain would give it some uniformity, although it looks like it needs a little more prep work at the lower sections. Once that is done make sure the door is dust free, then wipe the door down with mineral spirits before staining it. Apply the stain to the door when it is slightly damp with mineral spirits, operative words being slightly damp, not wet. After it is stained you can top coat it with Marine Spar Varnish in either a satin or high gloss finish. Satin holds up a little better in the sun, the high gloss does get dull over time, and not uniformly. Cut the first coat of the spar varnish by about 25%, that will act as a sealer, let it dry over night. Sand with 400 wet or dry sand paper, tack cloth it and apply the next coat straight out of the can, allow to dry over night, give it a light sanding, tack cloth and re-coat. You can do a third finish coat, although it might not be necessary. Use a pure bristle or ox hair brush, don't go cheap on the brush! That should do a very nice job.

Final thoughts, you can skip the stain if you choose to. If you go that route, follow the same procedure minus the stain, wipe the door down with the mineral spirits the same way I mentioned before applying the sealer coat. HTH

Deft also makes a good stain and sealers, consider after staining, use a clear exterior poly urethane especially on your step sill ,and possibly install a decorative metal protective edge of your choosing, as this will save and reinforce the sill against wear.

Deteriorating wood drives me crazy. I tend to pressure wash it let it dry then use my choice of clear protectant or waterproof stain. There are even epoxy based clear "sealants" that claim to provide longer term protection.

Back