Wood/Wolf Spider In My Bed

I went to bed early tonight because my stump was hurting. When I take my pain meds and go to bed it only takes about 20-30 minutes and I'm out.
Well, after being asleep for about 3 hours, I was awaken by the little critter in the pic below. I felt him walking across my face! I slapped him off of me and then gently swatted him with the fly swatter I keep next to bed just for things like this. He was just stunned a little bit. I put my leg on, picked him up, and carried him outside. He eventually scurried away.
When was the last time a spider, or a bug, woke you up in bed? 🕷️

View attachment 47713
How large was he? Hard to tell from the pic, but seems fairly large.

Some 30 years ago, while living in Florida, I remember waking up with something crawling through my hair. It was a spider, but not a very big one. I am not a fan of spiders in general.

How large was he? Hard to tell from the pic, but seems fairly large.

Some 30 years ago, while living in Florida, I remember waking up with something crawling through my hair. It was a spider, but not a very big one. I am not a fan of spiders in general.
He/she is only about1-1/2" (fangs to rear end). See the right rear leg kicked out? I tried grabbing 'em by his rear end but he kept squirming away. So, I grabbed that leg and set 'em on my lap top for his photo-op. After I took his pic I just "walked" him into my hand and took him outside. He eventually scurried away.

I got bit on the lower leg by a Brown Recluse back in 2010. Its bite makes a hole in you. The hole is mostly filled in now after having months of wearing gauze and sterile water around it. Dr Palmer's cream from Dollar General is what the dermatologist recommended. I also lived in Phoenix and we had lots of Black Widows out there. I have found a solution to spiders in the house though. It is called Osage Orange or Hedge Apple. Find a tree that has them and put them in a brown grocery back near your central air intake. No spiders and no smell that people smell.
I spent 3 days in hospital from one (bit on left hip). Terrible! I still have a divot there.
Mike B

46BE244C-74E7-4E33-9668-9C39C8C44E5F.jpeg

I went to bed early tonight because my stump was hurting. When I take my pain meds and go to bed it only takes about 20-30 minutes and I'm out.
Well, after being asleep for about 3 hours, I was awaken by the little critter in the pic below. I felt him walking across my face! I slapped him off of me and then gently swatted him with the fly swatter I keep next to bed just for things like this. He was just stunned a little bit. I put my leg on, picked him up, and carried him outside. He eventually scurried away.
When was the last time a spider, or a bug, woke you up in bed? 🕷️

View attachment 47713
Gotta go check my pants . May have :poop:ed them .

When we were vacationing on the Big Island in Hawaii, we stayed in a small cottage. It seemed like paradise. On our second or third night there, just as I was going to sleep I heard a rustling behind my pillow. I turned the light on and there was a centipede about 6" long.

I chased it into a water glass (it tried to attack while I was herding it). I put a coaster on top and it reached up and tried to lift it off, so I put a book on top overnight. In the morning I read up on them and found out that they're poisonous. Our travel book said that the bite is like a gunshot and the only cure is "a three day drunk". Very helpful.

I talked to the manager who said he was "shocked, shocked I tell you". Hadn't seen one there in years. Said I should kill it, which I did by stomping on it and dragging it under my foot on the pavement. So we had a good look around and found a smaller one in the corner and a dead one in the patio door rail. Up until that point it had seemed like paradise. But we didn't sleep so well after that and were glad to move along a few days later.

I am an arachnaphobe, though my fear has decreased significantly with age. That being said, jumping spiders for whatever reason never triggered any fear in me. I've always been comfortable with them and pretty much just let them be.

My property has a large black widow population for some reason. I'll either rid them or let them be depending on where I find them.

The sprickets (camel crickets) that I can't seem to completely eradicate from my garage die on sight every spring. I will not suffer their existence anywhere near me.
1614804500226.jpeg

Living in Calgary, the -30C winter temps keep a lot of critters away. (except the mosquitos).

When our kids were around 4 and 6 years old we took a trip to Hawaii. We spent a number of days in a rented condo in Princeville, Kauai. One night upon returning to the condo after an evening out, we put the boys in their bedroom where they were happy to watch some TV and we went into our bedroom to read and relax. After about 15 minutes of relaxing, something scurried up behind the headboard loudly enough to catch our attention. Turned out to be (we think) a cane spider about the size of a hockey puck. Needless to say, there was a huge amount of freaking out and we spent the next 30 minutes or so "hunting" the abomination. First point: they are **** fast. Second point: tearing the room apart and disassembling most of the bed doesn't guarantee success. We eventually succeeded in finding it and beating it to death (sorry, we had no idea what kind of spider it was and weren't taking any chances) with a heavy tourist magazine, it was thrown out through the lanai doors (we later discovered a hole in the screen which gave access to the room).

Amazingly the boys didn't come to check out the racket. If they had seen this creature, neither would have slept the rest of the trip. Bears, cougars, coyotes, etc. are all fine when you're from Calgary, but not giant insects.

After rebuilding our bedroom and desperately checking and rechecking the bedding, we nervously tried to settle back into bed. After another 15 minutes of trying to relax and read, my wife bumps my arm and says, "What was that?" I figured we would be seeing phantom spiders for a while, so I re-assured her that it was nothing and we were just nervous. A few minutes later, the same question again. Again I assured her we were just freaked out and needed to relax. Big mistake. Another few minutes passed when she shrieked and pointed to the floor under the bed and lo-and-behold, an even larger cousin to the first spider scurried out from under there. Replay the entire first scenario and add a call to the condo reception before dispatching this second nightmare. Reception assured us it was just a "normal" spider and they live in the hibiscus hedges outside the lanai doors. Great! Not a lot of sleep the rest of the night, but we did patch the hole in the screen and didn't notice any other visitors.

1614824973668.jpg

Nope nope nope nope absolutely not nope I’d have set the house on fire right then and there. I absolutely cannot stand spiders. Make fun of me all you want, but I make my wife kill them for me. I’m return I handle the stink bugs, which she feels the same way I feel about spiders.
Man, after reading the first 2 sentences of your reply I almost spit water all over my laptop! :LOL: :ROFLMAO:😁

Back