Wood stove+Volvo...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apparently this man put a wood stove in his Volvo wagon and got it certified for use by the Swiss Technical Inspection Authority...

Idk if this is pure genius or just boredom got the best of him....

Wood stove in a volvo

Last edited by a moderator:
Like+a+sir.+NOT+oc_196792_3294981.jpg

What's so ironic is that the Volvo 240 had one of the most effective heating systems of any car I've ever owned. I used to take my 240 wagon skiing in Colorado, and I had it when living in Vermont. On a below zero day, I could idle it for 30 seconds, drive the 0.2 miles down to the main road, and the car would begin making heat...within a minute or so of start on a below zero day, it would produce heat...and it would produce prodigious heat when warm...truly a great ski and cold-weather car!

The wood stove is so, so much slower to warm up...

This guy probably had the blower motor or the heater control valve fail...not only were they expensive, they required removing the entire dash to replace...a 6 hour job...the wood stove installation was a quick fix by comparison...

Last edited:
It would be toasty in there as fast as the heat would come on normally...

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
That guy needs a super stable drink coaster....

I think that the conductive/convective properties of said coaster would help keep beverage of choice at optimal temperature also.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
http://www.lowtechmagazine.com/2010/01/wood-gas-cars.html

Workmate is geting an old FJ45 to run on wood gas.

Closest I've come so far is my wood gas camp stove.

I was thinking a wood gas car would be great for someone who uses their car all day, like a rural mail man as I imagine starting the system up isn't a 1 minute exercise and its hard to get a fire to "idle" for an extended amount of time too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back