Wood Pellet Smoker

Looking to pick up a wood pellet smoker, how much do these cost to operate? How much are the pellets usually and how long do they last?

Considering something along the lines of a large-ish Traeger, Green Mountain Grill or similar. Have 2 adults and 4 kids to feed, any recommendations on brand and size of smoker?

Go bigger than you think you’ll need. I have a GMG Jim Bowie. Pellets last decently long. I filled my hopper about two weeks ago and I’ve smoked 3 different things now...steaks, veggies, meatloaf. And the hopper is still 1/2-2/3 full.

if I bought a new one, it’d either be Camp Chef or Rec-Teq.

Go bigger than you think you’ll need.
This! ^^^

I owned a Traeger for years until the electronics board died and I didn't fix it. It doesn't use as many wood pellets as you'd think and the smoked meat is amazing. The Traeger takes most of the work out of smoking meat vs wood chunk smokers. However, if you just want to grill burgers, the Traeger doesn't put out as much heat as a grill, so you'll wait at least twice as long for the burgers, steaks, etc to be done, but they do get a nice smoke flavor. Trade-offs...

This! ^^^

I owned a Traeger for years until the electronics board died and I didn't fix it. It doesn't use as many wood pellets as you'd think and the smoked meat is amazing. The Traeger takes most of the work out of smoking meat vs wood chunk smokers. However, if you just want to grill burgers, the Traeger doesn't put out as much heat as a grill, so you'll wait at least twice as long for the burgers, steaks, etc to be done, but they do get a nice smoke flavor. Trade-offs...
my father in law has a wood smoker and the flavor is way too much and acrid for me after using and owning my pellet. He gave us a ziploc bag of meats a while back and it stunk the fridge for a week due to the smell. Bleh

Go bigger than you think you’ll need. I have a GMG Jim Bowie. Pellets last decently long. I filled my hopper about two weeks ago and I’ve smoked 3 different things now...steaks, veggies, meatloaf. And the hopper is still 1/2-2/3 full.

if I bought a new one, it’d either be Camp Chef or Rec-Teq.

Curious why you'd go with the Camp Chef or Rec-Teq. Anything you don't like about the Jim Bowie? I have my eye on that model, but still doing research.

I have a Traeger Tailgater 20 for the trailer and a Camp Chef DLX for the house.
I bought them both in the past year. I can't believe I waited this long. Everything that comes off of them
is perfect and taste great. I was the guy that said "Never! Who needs that?" I was also wrong.

I went with the Camp Chef in the DLX size because it got the best reviews and had easier clean up
for the segment.

The tailgater is small but fits in the trailer easier, operation is not as easy as the Camp Chef.

I go through maybe one to two bags every month and a half.

Are you set on pellet? I did not like the pellet smoker I had. I find the green egg type smokers much more versatile. I have a primo grill, which is basically an oval green egg. I can smoke, grill or do high temp for items like pizza. I can keep the grill at 250 for hours to smoke or go up over 600 for pizza.

Are you set on pellet? I did not like the pellet smoker I had. I find the green egg type smokers much more versatile. I have a primo grill, which is basically an oval green egg. I can smoke, grill or do high temp for items like pizza. I can keep the grill at 250 for hours to smoke or go up over 600 for pizza.
I'm pretty set on pellet. On vacation last year the RV park I stayed at had a smoke-off competition so I got to see a whole bunch of these up close and personal. The pellet smokers fit my needs when it comes to ease of use, taste, features, etc. So easy I trust the wife to operate it.

Curious why you'd go with the Camp Chef or Rec-Teq. Anything you don't like about the Jim Bowie? I have my eye on that model, but still doing research.
Newer designs and quality in general. Mines an older one - 2011, but I really enjoy it and at the price paid last year $250. :cool:
I will say though that from forums and Facebook, GMG has one of the best customer service depts known to man. They really seem to do a good job taking care of customers.

I’ve had a Green Mountain Grill, the size down from the big one, Daniel Boone maybe, for 8 or 9 years now. I love it. I added the thermal blanket for less pellet consumption in the winter. Everything I’ve made has been delicious. So easy to use and it’s been trouble-free through many bags of pellets. I didn’t have any kids at the time I bought it and now have 3 so I’ll get a size bigger whenever this gets replaced. It handles the 3 packs of Costco baby backs or a couple large briskets or pork shoulders with ease. Get one, you’ll love it.

I have an older model Green Mountain Daniel Boone that I got for free from a friend. After he had a grease fire, it didn't function like it should. I put a new control board (upgraded to the WiFi model) which fixed the issues. Overall it works well. If I were in the market for a new pellet grill, I'm not sure if I would go with Green Mountain. I don't like the design of the new power supplies. It's an external 12v DC brick that uses a cigarette style plug in on the back of the hopper. I have seen lots of complaints of this coming loose in the middle of the cook. Seems like a poor design. If I was looking for a sub $1000 model I would take a good looks at the Camp Chef Woodwind 24. Has WiFi, standard 120v power cord, two racks, and an ash/firebox cleanout feature that looks pretty slick. I have to take mine apart to clean out the fire box. RecTec RT-590 would also be on the list.

Also, for pellets check out Lumberjack if you can find them. Their 100% hickory is my go to.

I think I've narrowed my choices to a Camp Chef Woodwind 24, or the SmokePro SG Wi-fi. Are the 24" models pretty decent size? I'd want to be able to throw a couple whole chickens on, maybe with enough room to throw some vegetables in with them. I don't need anything large enough for big cookouts, just enough for my family.

The big problem is I can't find them in stock anywhere. Anyone know of places that have these in stock?

From my calculations over the past two years, my Traeger Ironwood 650 uses about a pound of pellets per hour at 265F. Buying Trager pellets at retail (20 lbs. for $20), that's $1/hour.

So many companies are doing good pellet grills, anyone buying right now has great options. Along with Trager, GMG, and RecTeq, the Camp Chef Woodwind has also been getting great reviews. Really, the only one I wouldn't recommend is the Weber SmokeFire.

Pellets matter. I have never had an issue with Trager pellets but some of the big box stores off-the-shelf pellets give me ignition issues. Costco often has 30 lb. bags of Traeger Gourmet Blend for $20. One of the best deals I've found.

According to Camp Chef, the Woodwind 24 has 800 inches of cooking space on the top and bottom rack. Depending on how you prep the birds, you should have plenty of space. If you stand them up vertical beer can-style, you'll have to remove the upper rack. If you spatchcock them, you can probably leave the upper rack in place and have tons of space there.

The only advice I can give for finding one in stock is to check your local OPE/backyard specialty shops. Their supply channels sometimes are different than online and big box retailers, so you may luck out and find some in stock.

I pulled the trigger on a Camp Chef SmokePro SG 24" (version 2 with Wi-Fi). Paid $560 which I thought was pretty reasonable considering the features it has.

I compared it closely to the Camp Chef Woodwind, but I just didn't see enough features gained to justify the extra $300. Looks like you get stainless lid and firebox, two extra temperature probes, and a color display. Not worth the extra money IMO.

Amazon had neither in stock, but they did have an in-stock date of May 8th for the SmokePro. Camp Chef website shows all the Woodwind models being on a 6-8 week backorder. Hard part will be waiting to get it, but it'll give me time to find good deals on pellets. Really looking forward to using it!

Received the smoker from Amazon much earlier than expected, have already run a 13# brisket, and then a bunch of boneless chicken thighs & some pork chops. Going purely by the temp probes for determining cook time, this thing cooks darn near perfect. The Wi-Fi feature is flawless, a must have feature IMO. I'm able to monitor the smoker, get alerts, and change settings anywhere I have internet connection on my phone, so it's cloud based and not tied solely to my home's Wi-Fi.

UPS put a good size dent in the side panel of the hopper, probably not all that uncommon when you're sending a 150lb box across country. Build quality is pretty average, material is thick enough, but not exactly professional quality-- about what I was expecting for the price. I had to re-tighten a bunch of the factory installed screws, and a couple heads (philips) were stripped during factory assembly.

As far as function goes, I'm impressed. My only gripe is that the heating isn't uniform throughout the grill, the left side and rear of the smoker get hotter than the rest, usually requiring me to rotate the food once during the smoke. Not terribly inconvenient, I can live with it. I still have to play with the chimney clearance, not sure I have it set correctly as the manual is pretty vague on how much to open it.

This thing can sure chew through some pellets though. I smoked the 13# brisket (less after trimming fat) for about 10 hours at 240F, used about 15# of pellets in that time. Weather was cool (low 50's) and rainy though (smoker is sheltered from the rain), so I imagine pellet consumption will lessen with the arrival of warmer weather. I've been using Lumberjack brand pellets from Rural King ($8 / 20lb) and they seem pretty good. Brisket was smoked with Charcoal Hickory flavor, and I used their 100% cherry on the pork & chicken thighs. Fantastic results each time. All in all very happy with this purchase!

Recteq is a much better unit than the Traeger at about the same price (once you start adding options to the Traeger). Cost to operate isn't much different than a propane grill, a bag of pellets lasts about as long as a 20lb propane tank depending on cooking temp and outside temp.

Back