wood chipper

I was just given this Troy Bilt Tomahawk wood chipper with a 5 hp Tecumseh, it obviously needs work. Are these any good? Once I get it working good I’ll be lending it to my friend so he can make shavings for his horse stalls.

Attachments

• 66F34D6C-FB8E-4D42-89E4-BA567F6C189B.jpeg
    66F34D6C-FB8E-4D42-89E4-BA567F6C189B.jpeg
    219.4 KB · Views: 51
I think that wood chipper will be a slow way to make any significant amount of wood chips for a horse stall. It won't take large branches and is not auto feed. Better off piling a ton of branches and renting a real wood chipper for half a day.

It would be a fun project especially considering it was free. I'm sure you could find a good use for it. Troy-bilt was a premium brand years ago and I like the one tecumseh I've owned.

I found a Yard Machine 6.5hp Briggs on Craigslist a couple years ago for $150. I live on a small urban lot so I use it much less than I'd like, maybe an hour a year. Always starts on the first pull, although I have to give it some extra choke now... plugged jet I assume. I've only changed the oil once, just used Castrol 30W.

That isn't a chipper, it's a shredder. They are good for grinding up sticks, leaves, and other brush. Anything larger than 1/2" diameter it will probably stall.

Idk why but that picture... old tecumsehs that had been sitting a while all seemed to have a familiar smell to them. Can’t explain it. That pic almost brings it back.

Look at the commercial chipper the tree guys use. It has a 4 cylinder industrial engine in it, at least 50 horse. It will load way down chipping a big branch.

Rod

Back