Won’t happen to my car...

Seems car thieves have figured out how to slip off with a new F150, despite the sophisticated anti theft baked into the the thing:
I don’t reckon I have anything to worry about, my Kia Soul uses a key to open it, no keyless entry, and has a standard transmission. All that, plus the fact it’s a Kia Soul, nobody much wants a base model car.....

Might be time for vehicle owners to go old school and install a kill switch in their cars and trucks.

As Scotty said in one of the Star Trek movies, I'm paraphrasing, the more complex they make them, the easier it is to disable them.

Reactions: JC1
I long for the days when you could just take the coil wire, which I did on several occasions on my Sundance when it was parked in a sketchy part of Atlanta. More recently I took the fuel pump & starter fuse out of my Mazdaspeed 6 when I parked it at the airport for a week. My stance was that if they wanted it badly enough, they're going to have to drag it out of the parking garage.

t’s a Kia Soul, nobody much wants a base model car.....
That's not exactly why some cars don't frequently get stolen. Most vehicles are swiped for the value of their parts. That is generally because it is a popular model. Maybe it is a popular model because it is a better design, more reliable, has greater resale value, IDK. Some Honda models are perennial chop-shop targets even base trim because the parts are in high demand.

So my point is this, if you want to decrease the chances your car will be stolen drive one that is not worth the sum of its parts. 🛻

That's not exactly why some cars don't frequently get stolen. Most vehicles are swiped for the value of their parts. That is generally because it is a popular model. Maybe it is a popular model because it is a better design, more reliable, has greater resale value, IDK. Some Honda models are perennial chop-shop targets even base trim because the parts are in high demand.

So my point is this, if you want to decrease the chances your car will be stolen drive one that is not worth the sum of its parts. 🛻
The reason for vehicle thefts likely varies by locale. Around here, it seems they are stolen for transportation between rural areas, and for the commission of crimes. If you're going to yank an ATM through the front doors of a business in the middle of the night, you're probably not going to use your own vehicle.

Might be time for vehicle owners to go old school and install a kill switch in their cars and trucks.

As Scotty said in one of the Star Trek movies, I'm paraphrasing, the more complex they make them, the easier it is to disable them.
"The more they overthink the plumbing, the easier it is to stop up the drain".

That and Kirk saying "You have to know why things work on a starship" were my favorite quotes to use when I was an I/T person dealing with programmers.

Correct. I have ALWAYS said that Hondas get stolen too much.

And it's not just ANY CIVIC...

There's this unspoken aura of Honda, "Hey, Honda. I wonder if it's stolen." I'm sure the police glance twice at a Honda and not so much others.. whether they carry that into other Japanese cars (you would be surprised how many cops have either low driving skill or low car knowledge) that I don't know.

People can steal almost anything.. If it gets too difficult and somehow they can't get it, they'll take the car in front of, in back of, or next to it.

Best case scenario is you have a window broken on the retreat out of spite.

These are great conversations but data is needed.

From what I believe (admittedly I do not know) it's MIND BLOWING that there's no national VIN data base.
Who knows (data again) maybe 99.9% of stolen cars are chopped and only 0.1% are joy rides or used in crimes so no such data base is needed?
I always thought putting a stolen car on the road was extremely high risk.

From what I believe (admittedly I do not know) it's MIND BLOWING that there's no national VIN data base.
Who knows (data again) maybe 99.9% of stolen cars are chopped and only 0.1% are joy rides or used in crimes so no such data base is needed?

Using your location in NY ... stolen vehicle plate and vin get entered into E-Justice (formerly called NYSPIN) as a FILE 1. This is information provided to all police and sheriff's departments in NYS as well as fed to each other state in the US and their data system. It is very difficult to get far using highways and cities as there are many stationary plate readers on poles or across the highway. A plate reader HIT of a FILE 1 sends an immediate alert to the municipality or sometimes the county Intelligence Center.

The breakdown is that there are few traditional stolen vehicles like there was in the 89/90's. The "real" stolen vehicles in my area are the quick ride to somewhere and ditch or a professional car thief and you'll never see that vehicle again. The waters get clear as mud with the usual I loaned my car to a "friend" but don't know his name or where he lives and he never came back. "Friend" means drug dealer or prostitute. Or it's my babby daddy has my car and he won't give it back.

Pretty much has to be an instance of signal theft. Thieves sit around with devices that intercept the remote signal, and then duplicate it to enter & steal the car.
Doubt it. Even my '97 Saturn had rotating codes; it wouldn't respond to the same signal twice. Garage door openers have had the same thing for years.

Well there's NCIC.

I don’t reckon I have anything to worry about, my Kia Soul uses a key to open it, no keyless entry, and has a standard transmission.

Manual Transmission Anti-Theift Device.jpg

Back