Won't accept fuel at gas pump (chevy trailblazer 2007 4.2L)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

I have chevy trailblazer 2007 4.2L.

When I pump gas it's very slow at the gas pump.

I already did the following:

- blew compressed air through all the EVAP lines (entering and exiting all the devices below as well as one additional EVAP line running along the gas hose).
- new canister purge valve
- new vapor canister purge solenoid valve (makes a clicking noise that I did not hear in the old one?)
- cleaned up the EVAP charcoal canister thoroughly with water and compressed air (same as https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Acps2kbKOHE&t=741s)
- replaced gas cap (not the cause of the issue but I replaced it anyways).

and I still have the issue.

on my OBD scanner I get the code P0496 from time to time with check engine light on.
Evaporative emission
System high purge flow

I'm running out of ideas now.

Any help would be appreciated.

Must be some of that new E15. The TrailBlazer knows it's bad stuff, and is just spitting it back out!
wink.gif

(Glad I could be of help.)

Can you remove the neck and see if theres anything blocking the inlet? I had a vw with broken pieces of plastic down there and was blocking the neck. I also had a Boxster where the evap lines moved and blocked the filler neck as well.

Originally Posted by marine65
You are in Canada.
Have you checked to see if there's a Hockey puck stuck in there?

Bonus if this is the case. You can cut a groove in the middle and make yourself a handy pinch weld adapter.

Now I'm thinking it might be a faulty new vapor canister purge solenoid valve as it's constantly clicking.

I'll have to order one from the Divided States of America directly from Donald Trump himself.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Audios
Can you remove the neck and see if theres anything blocking the inlet? I had a vw with broken pieces of plastic down there and was blocking the neck. I also had a Boxster where the evap lines moved and blocked the filler neck as well.

Thanks for the response.

at the gas cap there is a metal pipe and the EVAP line branches off.

I blew compressed air through that line already and it's open.

looks like us Canadians are getting all the defective parts shipped to us from the divided states of America.

I love Donald Trump but seriously, tell your president we aren't all Trudeau queers up here.

Originally Posted by tookien
looks like us Canadians are getting all the defective parts shipped to us from the divided states of America.

I love Donald Trump but seriously, tell your president we aren't all Trudeau queers up here.

We know your not. I used to watch a show about the Great North Woods with Doug and Bob McKenzie and Red Green as well. All around manly men.

I have two vehicles that would not take fuel at the pump. Both vehicles had suffered from a damaged carbon canister. The membrane that separates that carbon particles was deteriorated apparently by repeated overfills.

In my situation the vehicles were a Hyundai Elantra and a Toyota Solara - both from late 90's-early 00's.

If your lines are good and your valves are working then expect to replace the charcoal canister.

I am not sure what E15 and Donald trump have to do with an evap system full of junk.

Common gm issue to get the evap canister full of junk especially if you live on a gravel road or something like that. Replacing the canister is the only option. For some reason they thought it was a good idea to leave the fresh air inlet under the vehicle.

thanks everyone.

I'll just order the darn char coal canister that way I have a completely new EVAP system.

who knows maybe I'll get an additional 50hp this thing is slow as a turtle and it needs it.

Last edited:
i had the same problem with a 2002 envoy (same vehicle as trailblazer) and it went to the grave like that (well, the next owner that according to the lien sale letter i got a few months later abandoned it at a shop following a $137 repair) never bothered fixing it

Some had an issue with the filler line that had a slight kink in it. Not sure what years but check to make sure the line has a straight shot into the tank. I ran into a similar issue with mine, I just unplugged and tipped the vent solenoid on the side of the tank. I tapped it with a wrench and watched the piles of dirt and debris fall out. She fills like a champ now.

Originally Posted by tookien
thanks everyone.

I'll just order the darn char coal canister that way I have a completely new EVAP system.

who knows maybe I'll get an additional 50hp this thing is slow as a turtle and it needs it.

I wouldn't rule out a defective new part either, its very common these days. I really don't know what the problem is that hasn't been mentioned in this thread but its a bit of a bugger when you get a new part that is defective, it can really get you chasing your tail.

Turns out the main problem was indeed the char coal canister.

Cleaning it was not sufficient.

On a side note the car starts much easier now and seems to have a little better performance.

Turns out the main problem was indeed the char coal canister.

Cleaning it was not sufficient.

On a side note the car starts much easier now and seems to have a little better performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back