Wonder if there was a puggle hiden in this photo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seeing a lot of wildlife lately...drought is in full swing.

Fair few Roos out the front of the house, and getting more adventurous.

A few weeks ago, could hear the bashing and crashing around the creek across the road, go out to look (not a domestic next door), and see the outlines of a mob of roos over the road and in the floodplane.

Little later, and notices roo poo in the front yard, and could catch sight of them during the day.

Subsequently have seen poo in the back yard, and last night the orange cat was going berserk at the back window, so I'm thinking it's like an old Looney Tunes Cartoon

Went out to investigate, and that's all I can put it down to.

Dead roos and Wombats line the route to work (literally 20+ in the 15 ish miles on my commute)...they are grazing the "long paddock" for food, and getting hit...know three people this month who have tagged one to a greater or lesser degree.

The Wildlife rescue people are spraying the roadkill with spray paint now, where they used to tie a ribbon on a leg...a spray painted roo/wombat means that someone has checked it's pouch for a baby.

Roos are quite adapted to drought. They can have a Joey in the pouch, and still be holding a fertilised egg in "stasis" ready to deliver when the conditions are right...don't need a male around when the grass comes.

Lady at work came across a hit mother and a lonely, hurt a little Joey the other day, and was nursing it in the office awaiting the Wildlife rescue people.

The Roos really are hurting...they are everywhere there is green (i.e. concentrating around people and gardens), and while they appear fearless, they are probably more resigned to just getting food.

Took this the other day from around 10 feet if that...

Tonight driving home, a driver on the other side flashed me a few times to slow down...I did, and saw what looked like a tyre "gator" weaving across the road...an Echindna.

Don't see them very often...slowed, avoided it, flipped a Uie, and went in for the pics.

Wasn't overly happy, so curled up.

I think it was just wandering. July and August are breeding season, so that's probably the reason. They eat termites and the like, so shouldn't be affected heavily by the greeness of the vegetation...they have powerful claws to shred rotting timber to get the insects.

Now as to puggle...and the spray painted roos.

Echidnas (and platypus) are monotremes. They are the only egg laying mammals. (Darwin met his first platypus less then 5 miles from that pic, as the Currawong flies).

And echidnas have pouches (actually they "grow" a pouch in breeding season), in which the egg lays for about a week and a half, and the baby lives after the egg has hatched...the baby is called a "puggle", and echidnas, due to their spot in the evolutionary timeline haven't any nipples. They exude milk through their skin, and the puggle licks it off...after it leaves the pouch and starts eating ants, it still comes back for milk.

I've seen maybe a dozen Echidnas outside of zoos (probably that many INSIDE zoos too)

I pet a Joey when I was in Australia.

Its fur was so soft. The little cutie pressed his head into me like a friendly dog.

Smuggling it out crossed my mind.

Bill,
they are pests...and they are protected.

Combine that with having wiped out the predators a hundred years ago, you get what the problems now are.

If a farmer gets permits to cull them, he can't feed the meat to his dogs, has to let them rot in the field with their tags on.

edit...that being said, the ones on the creek and wandering into my yard I have no issue with whatsoever.

Last edited:
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Pardon my ignorance, but what was the primary predator of the 'roo that was wiped out?

I assume the dingo, and while not wiped out is greatly reduced in numbers. Still wild dogs have taken up some of this slack.

I read that roo numbers have increased significantly since white man came. Originally much of Australia was heavily wooded bushland, then the trees were cleared to make good grazing land for cattle & sheep. This increase in grass (food) increased the number of roos. Now when the drought hits, the grass dies off, and the elevated roo numbers take a hammering.

Originally Posted By: SR5
I assume the dingo, and while not wiped out is greatly reduced in numbers. Still wild dogs have taken up some of this slack.

I read that roo numbers have increased significantly since white man came. Originally much of Australia was heavily wooded bushland, then the trees were cleared to make good grazing land for cattle & sheep. This increase in grass (food) increased the number of roos. Now when the drought hits, the grass dies off, and the elevated roo numbers take a hammering.

Probably a lot in that.

Have read some research that shows that the natives created grassland swathes through their burning practices to (obviously not pasture) for them to gather and eat, and the ridges of timber were used (with fire) to funnel them downhill to water.

(Apparently US Indians used similar techniques for Bison, but cliffs)

I think the popular narrative of our indigenes having a spares hand to mouth existance are skewed by the biasses of the early settlers, who had already changed the landscape, people, and practices by the time that they started observing.

Ahhh the allusion to Buffalo Jump, good reference.

https://allaboutbison.com/buffalo-jumps/

Quote:
Head-Smashed-In, Alberta, Canada

The buffalo jump was used for 5,500 years by the indigenous peoples of the plains to kill buffalo by driving them off the 11 metre (36 foot) high cliff. Before the late introduction of horses, the Blackfoot drove the buffalo from a grazing area in the Porcupine Hills about 3 kilometres (1.9 mi) west of the site to the “drive lanes”, lined by hundreds of cairns, by dressing up as coyotes and wolves. These specialized “buffalo runners” were young men trained in animal behavior to guide the buffalo into the drive lanes. Then, at full gallop, the buffalo would fall from the weight of the herd pressing behind them, breaking their legs and rendering them immobile. The cliff itself is about 300 metres (1000 feet) long, and at its highest point drops 10 metres into the valley below. The site was in use at least 6,000 years ago, and the bone deposits are 12 metres (39 feet) deep. After falling off the cliff, the buffalo carcasses were processed at a nearby camp.

Shannow - you got any Budgies in your area, or other parrots, etc? I think Budgies only hang out in the north end of Oz, but not totally sure.

Budgies are escapees around here, and don't weather winter very well. They come from about 150 miles away, Booroowa calls itself the budgy capital.

We have sulfur crested cockatoos, and Galahs...they are Cockatoo style parrots.

We also have Rosella and Kings...will try for some pics (intentional with a camera rather then on the spot with a phone).

edit... this is one of the family's favourite docos.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q50GVsFtszA

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back