Woman on disability leases a M6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Leased a M6 for $1300/month with a $30k down payment while making $2500/month on DISABILITY) and claims it's the dealers fault for giving her the lease.

Moron.

http://cbs5.com/local/auto.loan.defaults.2.645976.html

Quote:
Auto payment defaults doubled last year and are expected to get worse. It is another financial meltdown waiting to happen similar to the crisis in the home mortgage industry, according to one consumer group. A CBS 5 ConsumerWatch investigation has found consumers locked into cars they cannot afford.

According to Power Information Network, 1.85 of the 9.6 million customers in 2006 who leased or financed a new car were subprime borrowers or consumers with weak credit.

Vivian Snyder has strong credit and is not classified as subprime, but she is one of many consumers who can't afford the car she leased. Snyder drives a brand new convertible BMW with a MSRP listed at approximately $100,000.

Most consumers can't afford it, and neither can Vivian. That's because the monthly lease payment is $1,300. It eats up half her income which is a $2,500 disability check.

Yet, she got it at BMW of Fremont without showing a drivers license, pay stub, or any proof of income.

How did this happen? Apparently, her income was inflated by nearly 150%.

According to consumer advocate Rosemary Shahan with Consumers for Auto Reliability and Safety the practice is common.

"This is an epidemic of loan applications being falsified. In fact, the model for the meltdown we're seeing in real estate and home mortgage lending was auto lending."

Vivian's story starts like so many others. She went to the dealership which is owned by Autonation, the largest automobile retailer in the country just to look.

She got caught up in the excitement and said she told the salesperson about her $2,500-a month income. But, what ended up on the credit application was the amount she could be making if she was not on disability.

"He (the salesperson) put what he thought I needed to get qualified for the car," according to Vivian.

She admits she signed the lease credit application with her income inflated.

But CBS5 reviewed the lease application handed to Vivian as she left and compared it to a page from the same multi-layer document she retrieved days later.

Vivian's income had been changed once again - from $6,000 to $8,600 without her knowing.

General Manager Larry Long said a salesperson insists he changed the figure while Vivian was present.

"I witnessed that sale. I saw her and congratulated her. She was so thankful. She was so passionate about wanting that car and would have done anything to get that car," Long said.

Larry directs the blame on the finance company - BMW Financial Services.

"It's up to them to look at the credit application and they will see it at face value what the customer puts on paper as to be the truth," Long said.

Martha McKinley, a spokesperson with BMW Financial Services, said, "We have investigated this matter internally, and we are satisfied that BMW Financial Services acted appropriately at all times during the application and credit review process."

Vivian has only a few options. She can plead with the finance company to release her from the lease or have the car repossessed, losing her good credit and a $30,000 down payment which consisted of her entire retirement savings.

"I'm greatly embarrassed," Vivian said. "I should have looked over the contract better."

Quote:
Larry directs the blame on the finance company - BMW Financial Services.

That's right, it's BMW's fault that your sales rep lied on the application form. Wait, what?
54.gif

Quote:
"I'm greatly embarrassed," Vivian said. "I should have looked over the contract better."

No, you should have looked over the $100k price sticker better.

That's America today. Everybody passes blame. As if this lady didn't know that she couldn't afford a 100K BMW with just a monthly disability check. She was the one that signed on the bottom line. Nobody else did.

Same with mortgages. It's the lending companies fault. Right. If people weren't so naive to the contract terms they wouldn't be out on the street. Then again, most people think housing prices are going to go up 20% every year forever.

Our litigious, no-fault, over spending society makes me wonder.

Originally Posted By: Vilan

Quote:

Mon and dad should have practiced birth control.

Originally Posted By: Al
Mom and dad should have practiced birth control.

Hers aren't the only ones...

This same crowd buys/leases new because they can barely fill the gas tank. Any repairs or maintenance they need they blow off until the car stops moving. If they bought a used car the previous owner "concealed something" or "it must have been flooded/wrecked" and of course "it's a lemon".

Quote:
he can plead with the finance company to release her from the lease or have the car repossessed, losing her good credit and a $30,000 down payment which consisted of her entire retirement savings.

A fool and their money are soon parted.

I'm speechless at her willingness to put $30K down on a car, any car, when that's all she has.

When the mentally ill interact with car dealers the outcome will never be good.

Here is what chaps my butt. As a middle income hard working guy seems like when I buy a car or home, and borrow money, they actually do check my income and such. Did they suddenly stop this practice?

Lady = guilty.
Dealer = guilty.

Should there be penalties, or let the free market handle it? Well guess what, the "system" is supporting the woman, so she should do the time for wasting renmimbi, the people's money.

Perhaps unscrupulous car dealers would be more of a benchmark American theme? The capacity for human stupidity knows no bounds. Seems to me that trait becomes a bit more sinister when predatory sellers be they mortgage lenders or car salesmen use that deficiency to their advantage.

I've long felt that once someone's credit gets iffy... lets say FICO 600... a notice should go out to their potential lenders:

"Any loans you make from here on out are super-duper unsecured."

And there should be laws to back this up. If someone declares bankruptcy they have to pay 100% of what they rang up when they were still "good" then any leftovers go to the sharks.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Living on credit and blaming the other guy when you can't pay it off. Isn't that what America is famous for?

Exactly..starting with our fearless politicians.

Get rid of deposit insurance. It takes away the need for banks to prove they will invest your money wisely. At least make the depositors feel some pain if the bank loses their money. Make FDIC only pay 90 cents on the dollar.

Originally Posted By: Alternator
Disabled = mentally ill - NOT!

Meaningless, because it's true in some cases, while very false in others. The Social Security Admin has hundreds of definitions and procedures through which one may be determined to be "disabled". You can have a perfectly lucid Ph.D. who tragically becomes a quad, and he's "disabled". Likewise, a psychotic lumberjack who can bench 400 lbs in his sleep is "disabled" if his psychosis meets the guidelines. And then you have the thousands of possible "mixed" disability situations (a combination of conditions that alone are not disabling, but together act to make one disabled).

The bottom line on this one is that we still have no idea about how this woman is actually "disabled". If she's got everything intact upstairs, I've got little sympathy for her. If she's wholly or partially mentally disabled, then in may be a very different story.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back