Woman and her dog in front of her sod home 1910 in South Dakota

GON

$100 Site Donor 2024
South Dakota 1910- sure makes it looks like almost all of us today are leaving a dramatically better quality of life when it comes to housing.

A woman and her dog stand in front of her sod home during wintertime. She doesn't look the happiest, but it could have been VERY cold and really bright with the sun shining on the snow. Or...just look at how desolate it is. Your home in the middle of nowhere. She could have had a husband or another relative living with her.

It was a tough way to live, many did & they survived. Others packed up and left. You definitely have to admire their grit and determination. I'm sure many times throughout the winter, the days got long in the sod home. Reading the same newspaper over and over. When a neighbor visited it was the highlight of the week or month for them.

It's hard for us to imagine.....

323261747_1196141874326924_3426929971747497094_n.jpg

Cool pic, I enjoy looking at these old pictures and considering just how life might have been for them.

I could not live in such cold weather. From what I understand Sod houses lasted for 5 to 8 years and were generally fireproof. Back then, there was ample passenger RailRoad service to SD, so I'd be on my way South at the first hint of frost..

South Dakota 1910- sure makes it looks like almost all of us today are leaving a dramatically better quality of life when it comes to housing.

A woman and her dog stand in front of her sod home during wintertime. She doesn't look the happiest, but it could have been VERY cold and really bright with the sun shining on the snow. Or...just look at how desolate it is. Your home in the middle of nowhere. She could have had a husband or another relative living with her.

It was a tough way to live, many did & they survived. Others packed up and left. You definitely have to admire their grit and determination. I'm sure many times throughout the winter, the days got long in the sod home. Reading the same newspaper over and over. When a neighbor visited it was the highlight of the week or month for them.

View attachment 133138
She has a dog still, so things weren't too dire! Soddies were typically used for the 1st year when people showed up with not enough time or money to buy lumber for a house. I imagine it was way way better than trying to live in a canvas tent for a prairie winter! and much much easier to heat than many wood homes that were built. 2' of sod would be r20 walls, better than many old houses even now. I do wonder how long it takes for the creepy crawlies to come out the walls though?
In our area the settlers first house was a small log house since 100's of cords of wood would have to be cleared from their land first before farming. The odd one is still around and there is a few log barns around too.
I find it interesting how some people can't imagine living missing just a few modern luxuries. I'm sure these people were quite happy to have a soddie on a winters night with the stove going and the (partially frozen) solid walls shrugging off -30f and 30mph winds.

Would surely be interesting to be able to see what people would say about the way we live now. Lets say around 2123. Probably be saying, those poor folks, how did they ever live like that.

I'm left with more questions than answers--who took the photo? I'm guessing someone driving (riding) by, as my first impression is, people with money to afford cameras didn't live in sod houses. Fancy chimney? The thick coat was surely a necessity, but was it "cheap" back then to obtain one?

I feel cold just looking at that picture, I think I'll turn on a space heater and watch some TV instead of contemplating what used to be the norm.

I'm left with more questions than answers--who took the photo? I'm guessing someone driving (riding) by, as my first impression is, people with money to afford cameras didn't live in sod houses. Fancy chimney? The thick coat was surely a necessity, but was it "cheap" back then to obtain one?

I feel cold just looking at that picture, I think I'll turn on a space heater and watch some TV instead of contemplating what used to be the norm.
I am a member of a group that exchanges older photos and history of South Dakota. Likely over a dozen unique/ historic South Dakota photos have been posted in BITOG.

View attachment 133138
Always thought those were so great a use of resources when I watched how they were built due to lack of trees. You talk about efficient
insulation! Still Cabin Fever would be a killer thru cold hard winter locked in there day on end. No wifi... duh duh duh!

Reactions: GON

View attachment 133138

You're not supposed to have a smile in those pictures... a million ways to die in the west, remember?

Cool pic, I enjoy looking at these old pictures and considering just how life might have been for them.

I could not live in such cold weather. From what I understand Sod houses lasted for 5 to 8 years and were generally fireproof. Back then, there was ample passenger RailRoad service to SD, so I'd be on my way South at the first hint of frost..
I'm the same way. I hated cold weather in my 30's. Now I despise it.

In 1910 in the US, the average life expectancy for a white man and woman was 48 and 52, respectively. The average life expectancy for a man and woman of color was 34 and 37, respectively. Just 113 years ago, just outside the life span of a long-lived human, life was very different and very difficult. Most of human existence has been difficult and probably full of suffering. It's only recently that humans have had an expectation of no pain, no stress, no suffering, and no difficulties.

With that in mind, it's interesting how "fragile" our current youth/young adults seem.

Last edited:
yes it is hard to imagine.
Yet, I have facts, shared w/same type pic, of my grand fa playin in frnt of his "hut'. Some iron from the rim of wooden wagon wheel is being pushed dwn the grassy expanse w/a stick, him chasin it full of glee to have such an awesome toy... He was less lucky as only a blanket could B found 4 the dor.

The nature of the individual (usually fa or mo) permeates the family. The couple is the center of it all. Their relation effects the 9, 10 kids. My ancestors were v e r y happy to B there. YES! it wuz tough BUT
by staying there 3 yrs, building a primiter fence round (in british the term "their) allotment", they could have free xXx # of acres. Railroads were planned soon, they had some others in the area to help/get help, form a church/town and the future looked bright (if not sickening, dying in child birth, etc - no different than folks back east). Imagine - no hi tech fabrics for warmth, hard labor for survival, etc. Well they were used to it AND had that dream of prosperity from land ownership (impossible where they'd come from. That "was for rich folk"). My family took the Trail from MI to WA or some where, droppin off kids for such adventure all the way. Turned around & headed back to have my grandfa born on today's NE/IA line when only 1 was a state ( the gay nineties). This was also a time when Native Americans and African Americans were being slaughtered at the highest numbers ever. China no longer does the latter in Tibet but they use the same ethnic cleansing tech - move in 'our' folk in high enuff numbers to inbreed or over breed the locals (same - free land). Call it our own (land).

Thanks so much for da pic GON.

With that in mind, it's interesting how "fragile" our current youth/young adults seem.
Something I have wondered about: back then, infant mortality was much higher, and it was not unheard of to die in one's youth. Might there have been a survival of the fitness that no longer exists today? I don't think there is correlation between moral fiber and physical ruggedness, but maybe there is more of a connection there than I think? Certainly the more one has to work for something, the more one tends to value it--get everything handed to you a silver platter, and it's the rare person who won't be spoiled by it.

I also have to wonder just how many people "failed" back then. With no support systems in place, there was no reporting nor recording of those who didn't keep up. High school dropout rates, employment stats, etc. You read about ne'er-do-wells but I think there was a lot of space back them for them to fade into obscurity. Head to the edge of the town and it was wilderness--today that wilderness is known as the suburbs.

Anyhow. I often think there is nothing new under the sun. The more I think there is something strange going on with today's youth, the more I challenge myself to ask if it's something that has been going on since forever.

Beats me.

People rise to challenges, but do the least they have to.

The youth today aren't weak, just not challenged in the same way they would have been 100 years ago. Neither are any of us middle agers. If we/them are, there will be an adjustment period but people will rise to meet them. But when your meets are met while vegetating, why would you try harder?

Something I have wondered about: back then, infant mortality was much higher, and it was not unheard of to die in one's youth. Might there have been a survival of the fitness that no longer exists today? I don't think there is correlation between moral fiber and physical ruggedness, but maybe there is more of a connection there than I think? Certainly the more one has to work for something, the more one tends to value it--get everything handed to you a silver platter, and it's the rare person who won't be spoiled by it.

I also have to wonder just how many people "failed" back then. With no support systems in place, there was no reporting nor recording of those who didn't keep up. High school dropout rates, employment stats, etc. You read about ne'er-do-wells but I think there was a lot of space back them for them to fade into obscurity. Head to the edge of the town and it was wilderness--today that wilderness is known as the suburbs.

Anyhow. I often think there is nothing new under the sun. The more I think there is something strange going on with today's youth, the more I challenge myself to ask if it's something that has been going on since forever.

Beats me.
I don't have any answers - just observations as someone who treats children/teens under stressful situations and children/teens with special health care needs. Here are my observations over the past. 15 years:

1. As I've said before it seems like 75% of my 14-22 years olds (they graduate to general dentistry after college) have a diagnosis of anxiety/depression and are being medicated for these conditions. This has gone up significantly in the past 15 years. I find many parents of these kids go beyond due diligence of caring for their children and it's more like a Munchausen by proxy where they're weirdly excited to justify the diagnosis. Kids seem to have very poor coping skills.

2. The majority of kids/teens can't have a simple conversation event at 15. "Hey, Sally, how are you?" is answered more often than not with, "I don't know." *** does, "I don't know" mean? Parents usually do not say anything. If one of my kids gave that answer you can bet that would be an immediate correction.

3. I have 3 year olds with a mouth full cavities who need to go to the hospital for general anesthesia and when I ask the parents if they brush the kid's teeth their answer is, "He doesn't let me" to which I reply, "Your job is to make him/her do things that they don't like to do but are in their best interest. You're bigger than them, do what you need to do." This may seem harsh but remember these kids are going to the hospital for GA because these parents can't figure out how to make a 30 lbs kid comply. When I've already spoke to them 6 months before about going to bed with a bottle of milk and they're still doing it and the parents says, "Oh we tried taking it away but they cried." And???? This lack of parenting just gets worse as the kid gets older and there seems to be ZERO compliance with anything by the time they're 6.

4. In my areas very few teens have jobs. Most seem to live a life of video games and leisure and no responsibility. Almost universally, kids with jobs seem well ahead of their peers in terms of communication and maturity.

5. Hiring 18-25 year olds has been a poop show with ONE exception. No work ethic, entitled, almost always causing trouble immediately, doesn't accept training or constructive criticism and want to pretend like they all know everything.

I have no doubt it is MY generation that has failed these kids. Being friends with kids above all else. Lawnmower parents. None of these parenting styles does a kid any justice. My wife and I are very 1950's in our parenting. When they were little they did it because we said to do it and we won 100% of the battles. We insisted on politeness, manners, kindness, and we corrected them when they did not comply. As teens now they pretty much behave 100% of the time and when they don't it usually just requires a comment and they shapeup. My 17 year old has been working since he has been old enough to work and my 15 and 12 year olds will follow. He has learned invaluable skills already. The world is a harsh place and it seems few parents are preparing their children for that world. I guess it explains the number of 30 year olds still living at home. I've always viewed my job as a parent is to prepare little people to become big people who are capable of taking care of themselves so they can live a life of meaning.

Back