Wolverine Heat Pad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Installed my 125 watt (3" round) oil pan heat pad the other day. Lowest temp was 11F and mostly in the mid 20's at morning startup. What a difference, spins right over, warms up about 20% faster. I am a happy camper.
lol.gif

I checked with the odometer today. It normally takes 1.2 miles for the temp gauge to come off the post without the oil pan heater. When I use the oil pan heater the gauge comes off the post at .8 miles. 1/3rd less distance.
grin.gif

Question guys, next year I plan to run heat pads on my QR25DE Nissan gasser (4 litres or quarts oil) and one on my 92 Cummins Diesel with 12 litre or quart capacity.

Do I have to use the block heater too in extreme cold weather, does it matter if the heat pads do not heat the antifreeze in rad on cold starts?

thanks,
Cyprs

quote:

Originally posted by rugerman1:
It is bonded with a Peal-n-Stick adhesive to the bottom outside surface of an engine's oil pan.

Thanks a lot. And the next part of the question: how durable is this bonding? I mean, does it really tolerate heat, cold, sand and salt, from experience?

After a year's worth of use,mine is "as installed".
I had my oil pan at operating temperatures before I installed the pan heater.And immediately
prior to install,I plugged in the pan heater for a couple seconds.

I e-mailed Wolverene about the limits of the flexability.Although I can't find their response,I remember something about a 3/4" radius being the maximum curvature of bending.

Hey, I've been considering one of these heaters, and here is a thread all about them.

My big question would be : how does an extension cord go into a flat heater like this? Do you have a male plug trailing under the car all the time? Or is there a little raised bump? How convienent is it to plug the thing in? Do you have to crawl under the car to do it?

smile.gif

G

You mean the extension cord is permanantly attached? You maybe pull it up through the back of the engine and tie it somewhere convientent?

I'm glad someone posted about these items, they had caught my interest but I definately wanted to read about someone's experience first
wink.gif

Okay, here is my concern on using both. I plan to put a 125 watt pan heater on oil pan for 12 litre oil capacity, then another one on my tranny fluid pan, again 125 watts. (I want to heat the tranny because this thing will not shift into overdrive for up to 1/2 hour driving on highway at full engine operating temp) Now my factory block heater is 6.5 amps or about 700 watts.

That is a lot of power draw, I expect about 10 amps on all three, I suppose a 15 amp breaker would take it? I guess the heater pads only need a couple hours too.

Any suggestions on options, I block heater absolutely needed?

Cyprs

Sorry, I am also ordering 125 Watt pads for car oil pan and tranny, I got mixed up, on the diesel I asked questions above will need two 250 watt pads, one for tranny, one for oil pan. That adds up to quite a power draw with a 700 watt block heater, probably about 12 amps?

Any suggestions?

Cyprs

On the truck,I'd run the 125 watt heaters 24/7 when it's less than 32°F.Plug the block heater in on a timer,or 24/7 it when it's less than 0°F.
You don't need the oil boiling,just warm.

How does the pad stick to the sump or tranny? How do you "install" it?
Sorry, the reply might seem obvious, but...

From the Wolverene FAQ:
HOW IS THIS ENGINE OIL HEATER INSTALLED?
It is bonded with a Peal-n-Stick adhesive to the bottom outside surface of an engine's oil pan.

Easy install:
Clean the area
Sand the paint or surface corrosion
Use brake cleaner to degrease
Stick pad on
Apply the sealer around the edges(comes with heater)
Spray some paint on the uncovered/sanded areas
Done

Wolverine engine heaters

thanks,yes i know that i would have to take off each time.i was thinking about some kind of holding strap.thinking about heating the oil that went first into the motor.

Wolverene heaters are high density,whatever that means.Unless you have full/positive contact with the metal(heat sink),they'll burn up.
They do have a Battery Heater that may be the ticket for your application.Contact them and let us know what they say.
cheers.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back