Wolf's Head Super Universal Synthetic ATF

You asked for the documentation from Ford and I provided it. Now you are just going to naysay it and call it crap? Most people would say thank you. Now you are just calling it crap, oh well. So why did you ask for the Ford documentation?

Ford is not telling you to just buy their stuff: Ford is telling you some of their stuff is different from their other stuff, so you must be sure to use the right one. It does not have to be their own Motorcraft brand, they license their spec to some other ATF companies.
Yeah this is what I am trying to say as well. I’m trying to be helpful.

You asked for the documentation from Ford and I provided it. Now you are just going to naysay it and call it crap? Most people would say thank you. Now you are just calling it crap, oh well. So why did you ask for the Ford documentation?

Ford is not telling you to just buy their stuff: Ford is telling you some of their stuff is different from their other stuff, so you must be sure to use the right one. It does not have to be their own Motorcraft brand, they license their spec to some other ATF companies.
I bet GM said the same thing before they obsoleted Dexron III.

I bet GM said the same thing before they obsoleted Dexron III.
Dexron vi was a direct replacement for dexron 3 was it not? It was developed to be used in new transmissions along with old ones due to its shear stability and additives was it not? The shear stability was developed for replace dexron 3 (similar to Mercon) applications but mercon v is a much more stable fluid therefore the benefit of going that style formulation is nowhere near as great. Ford did not developed low viscosity fluids to replace mercon v or it would be backspecced at this point. This is not to say that it will not work but it is not the recommended application nor the most logical one when licensed mercon v is cheap and readily available.

If you want to go read the whole Dexron history, you can. Both Mercon LV and Dexron VI was developed the same time. Both were developed for the upcoming 6 speed transmission, which both automakers were together in designing. There is no way in telling that Mercon v is more shear stable then Dexron iii. Both were made using group 2+ base stock. I saw Mercon v was last recommended in 2011, next year it will be 10 years since it’s last recommendation. This means the need for it will go down. At what point will Ford abandon the licenses? The trend for most cases have been to backspec unless they couldn’t for some reason. And that when you will find out how much you all been lead on by the manufacture.

Learning that my friends' Fords and my 5R55E all take Mercon V simplified things.
Learning here (post #16) that Super Tech Mercon V is "employee approved" makes me ecstatic.
Thanks Blue Oval Fitter. You made my day even better.

Alright, lets objectively look back at this reply. I know I made some people mad, with my replies after this one. First thing, no where has Ford said in the shown documentation that Ford recommend against using universal fluids. They only stated you must use those fluids.
Secondly, in my following debating, to make clear, I am not advocating that you use Mercon LV in place of Mercon V. What I am trying to say is that a universal ATF is most likely ok to use in an application that they are recommended for, however, I would stick to the required fluid for if warranty is an issue. Some of these oil companies have engineers behind it, they actually do long term testing, and not just slap labels on bottles. There are transmission shops who feel comfortable enough to use them, even dealerships. Oil companies for awhile were recommending the same ATF for Mercon V as LV. And I bet you that one day you Ford boot lickers will wake up with Ford telling you Mercon LV is backspecced and Mercon V is obsolete. Something the oil companies said could been done for awhile and have a better product than any licensed fluid. You can't even find a full synthetic that is licensed Mercon V.
In the 04 Sport Trac, which still is a one owner vehicle by my wife, this is its history. In 2010 and at around 46,000 miles, it was at the dealership for inspection. My wife calls me and tells me the service advisor said ATF is turning dark and recommend a flush. Knowing that is not a good thing, I told her to let them do it. They use the BG transmission flush system and used BG synthetic fluid. Yes, this was a Ford dealership. I got 65,000 miles out of that fluid. Transmission performed flawlessly. So that why I was not convinced with what all the Ford tech said. If my transmission breaks, it is out of warranty and I pay for it no matter what fluid is used. And I tell you what, this 5R55E transmission is already lasting longer than some them did in the 1st generation Sport Trac.

Years ago Ford claimed that using a dual-rated Mercon/Mercon V fluid would damage a transmission that called for Mercon.

Unexplained was how the dual-rated Mercon/Mercon V fluid manage to acquire licenses from Ford for both fluids if it was not suitable for one of them.

Years ago Ford claimed that using a dual-rated Mercon/Mercon V fluid would damage a transmission that called for Mercon.

Unexplained was how the dual-rated Mercon/Mercon V fluid manage to acquire licenses from Ford for both fluids if it was not suitable for one of them.
Are you saying that there were ATFs that had both the Mercon and Mercon V licenses before Mercon was obsoleted?

Last edited:
Yes, there were. Valvoline Mercon V was so licensed circa 2005. As I recall, just about every Mercon V product out there in around that time was dual-rated for both. These products also were licensed for Dexron III.
Looking at Valvoline Mercon V, I just noticed there is no mentioning of license. Looking at Valvoline Dexron VI/Mercon LV, they mentioned that it is licensed for Dexron VI, but only recommend for Mercon LV. This makes me wonder if Ford doesn’t license there specs.

Looking at Valvoline Mercon V, I just noticed there is no mentioning of license. Looking at Valvoline Dexron VI/Mercon LV, they mentioned that it is licensed for Dexron VI, but only recommend for Mercon LV. This makes me wonder if Ford doesn’t license there specs.

Ford does license Mercon LV. In fact, Walmart brand ST is licensed Mercon LV. Castrol is also licensed Mercon LV. There are others, too.

Back