Wolf's Head Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
HOT OFF THE PRESSES: Effective April 28, 2006, Shell Oil is selling the Wolf's Head brand to Amalie Oil Company. I believe Amalie is based out of Florida now.

End of news.

Ya know, I think I understand the sort of image the marketers must have been trying to create when they thought up this brand, but it just doesn't work for me. My mind (sick perhaps) can't just conjure the image of a "wolf's head," without also conjuring the image of the "decapitated canine" which must have supplied the "wolf's head." A cruel and sloppy image that's far removed from the picture of a clean, healthy engine, which is what a motor oil name should make you think about.

Does Jordache bring images of the *** Father? Many logos use just the head of an animal. A 100 years ago, the wolf was a fitting symbol for a company based in Pennsylvania's Northern oil fields. Head East from Bradford toward Kane even today, and you find the country is still very empty. I think Amilie was based there years ago too, and may be trying to recapture some their mystique. There was a time when the oil industry was based in Western Pennsylvania, and Wolf's Head, Amilie, Kendal, Pennzoil, and Quaker State were all majors.

I know, I know, you're correct of course. I guess I got a little carried away with the thought -- lost my head for a moment. . .
wink.gif
cheers.gif

I'd be much happier with "Polkzoil". I guess I'm hung up on the implicit detachment of head that's somehow implied (at least to me) in the "Someone's/Something's Head" name. Especially disturbing when it involves my own head, which I'd prefer to leave installed as is for the foreseeable future. . .

quote:

Originally posted by Nickdfresh:
***, I haven't seen Wolf's Head in years here...

It's the PETA folks and their quiet efforts to eliminate anything that smacks of animal cruelty. Since "Wolf's Head" contains an implicit message of animal decapitation (exploitative animal decapitation, even, as the name is used for commercial purposes!), they have probably decided the name must go.
wink.gif
tongue.gif
cheers.gif

I used Wolf's Head 30 wt also years ago.
What is it rated SF? May be a great oil for
a lawnmower but not sure with today's
modern engines.
Craig

quote:

Originally posted by k1xv:
Wolfs Head 30 wt has never let me down.

LOL
This is all I can think of whenever I hear Wolf's Head.

Is that the exact quote? I never quite remember the wording. Dan Ackroyd in "Neighbors"?

quote:

Originally posted by ekpolk:

quote:

Originally posted by Nickdfresh:
***, I haven't seen Wolf's Head in years here...

It's the PETA folks and their quiet efforts to eliminate anything that smacks of animal cruelty. Since "Wolf's Head" contains an implicit message of animal decapitation (exploitative animal decapitation, even, as the name is used for commercial purposes!), they have probably decided the name must go.
wink.gif
tongue.gif
cheers.gif

When I hear Wolf's Head, I think more of Euro Clan/family symbols...

I heard that Wolf's Head was just basically less-expensive Pennzoil. Since Penn is owned by Shell, and Shell oil seems to be the lower grade cheapie stuff, there's probably no need for this side-brand...

At one point in history, the belief was that the only good wolf was a dead wolf. Could it be an early attempt of mind warping by advertisers to indicate a good product?
WikiPedia....
" The relationship between humans and wolves has had a very long and turbulent history. Traditionally, humans have viewed wolves negatively, perceiving them to be dangerous or as nuisances to be destroyed. European folklore exacerbated this negative image, which was brought over to North America as it was settled. In brief, the gray wolf, which, at one point, could be found in any ecosystem on every continent in the Northern Hemisphere, was persistently one of the first species to go once a significant population of humans settled in a given area. As technology made the killing of wolves and other predators easier, simple control became something more like complete annihilation."

Yeah, well, it's easy to idealize and romanticize wolves once you have zero chance of being hunted and killed by them.

The story is that there is no verified report of them attacking and killing a human in North America. Well, humans have been here a lot longer than the 514 years since Europeans showed up, so how do we know about the time prior to 1492?

And even if an attack hasn't been reported, it might just be that the wolves are smart enough to pick off a lone farmer or hunter only when there's no chance of getting caught. Proof of intelligence right there.

(Personally I'd love the name sounds cool, but I don't think they sell it in Louisiana.)

-- Paul W.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back