Wolf's Head Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
They had lots of Wolf's Head at a place called Community Auto in Massachusetts. Straight-weights, if memory serves. Seems like it was SL-rated, though. That's a fairly late manufacture, yes? No?

My 70 year old shop teacher in high school back in 1998 told me that he uses Wolf's head Oil from Menard's because they are the only "American Oil" out there. He's very old fashion. He trieds to find an AMerican truck that's uses the least foriegn parts. I believe he owned a Ford F-150.

I seem to remember about 40 years ago you saw Wolf's Head on a lot of shelves in auto parts stores, and it was always cheaper than most of the other "name" brands. It usually was a single weight, mostly 30. I was just starting to drive. My father told me to avoid it, as he thought it was a cheapie low quality oil. He steered me toward Delo, Castrol and Valvoline.

I don't know what the exact quote was from the movie, "Neighbors". I do remember that it involved something like "Use Wolfs Head 30 weight, it will never let you down." I just paraphrased it as an inside joke which thankfully one or two got!!

I also remember another oil with a similar name, Fox Head.

"I also remember another oil with a similar name, Fox Head."
=========================================================

I think Fox Head was trying to rip off the Wolf's Head name. As I remember, Fox Head was from re-refined motor oil, or "previously owned".

One of our local independent parts houses carries it. The price is equivalent to discount store-label brands. I believe years ago it had an excellent reputation, like Kendall before it was absorbed by Conoco/Phillips.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back