Wolf Tooth Chainrings: +1

I wore out the front chainring on my MTB, SRAM XX1 circa 2014. Very hard time finding replacements whether because it's so old, or due to COVID supply chain disruptions. Called the manufacturer, they recommended Wolf Tooth. Perfect fit, better than OEM quality, and immediately available. Made in USA may be a factor there.

I have Wolftooth chain rings on four or five bikes at home. They're great. I'm mostly amazed at how long they last compared to other aluminum chain rings. I also love their Fat Paw grips and their multi tools.

I guess the funny thing about this is that SRAM sued Wolftooth over those chainrings (they ended up setting pretty quickly, and there's some sorta cross-licensing agreement in place).

In my experience, the quality and long-term durability is better on the SRAM XX1 rings than the WT's, since, like high-end Shimano, the SRAM rings are cold forged and then machined (at least 12 speed XX1, not sure about the 11 speed). CNC rings like the WT's never seem to last as long. Then again, it's great that WT still supports the older stuff.

... In my experience, the quality and long-term durability is better on the SRAM XX1 rings than the WT's, since, like high-end Shimano, the SRAM rings are cold forged and then machined (at least 12 speed XX1, not sure about the 11 speed). CNC rings like the WT's never seem to last as long. Then again, it's great that WT still supports the older stuff.
Interesting you would say that. My old (circa 2014) XX1 11 speed chainring wore out quicker than any other chainring on any other bike I've owned. It's only 30T, which makes it smaller than any other chainring on any other bike I've owned, which may explain why.

The durability jury is still out on the WT chainrings. I bought a 32T for this same bike last summer, to compensate for the smaller gravel I tires I used to ride the OTGG, put about 1000 miles on that one, keeping it for future use. No visible wear on those teeth. Now I've installed the bigger knobby tires and the 30T. I'll check back when I have a few thousand miles on these.

That said, I don't really have a choice since the OEM SRAM chainrings for this bike are un-obtanium right now. I don't know whether SRAM stopped supporting them, or it's a temporary supply chain problem.

curiosity got the best of me, and since I was speaking with them about something unrelated, I checked: the 11 speed is CNC'd, the 12 speed Eagle is forged and machined--hence the low durability on the 11 speed. I actually have about 1,000 miles on an 11 speed XX1 and it looks OK, but the 12 Speed Eagle will be much more durable. As you said though, it's a bit moot since they don't have replacements. SRAM is historically poor about supporting older stuff, so I don't expect that you'll be able to find the SRAM rings anyway except for the secondary market.

I'm firmly in the Shimano camp, but I have to say that SRAM's mtb stuff is really on point. 12 speed Eagle is some amazing stuff. The unfortunate thing is that they no longer have a narrow Q crankset like XX1.

curiosity got the best of me, and since I was speaking with them about something unrelated, I checked: the 11 speed is CNC'd, the 12 speed Eagle is forged and machined--hence the low durability on the 11 speed. I actually have about 1,000 miles on an 11 speed XX1 and it looks OK, but the 12 Speed Eagle will be much more durable. ...
I wonder if the reason the 12 speed chainring is forged & machined (but not the 11 speed) is because the 12-speed chain is narrower, which means the chainring teeth are narrower, which means all else equal they would wear faster. So they had to use harder/more durable material. If that is so, then it may or may not last longer. (?)

I guess the funny thing about this is that SRAM sued Wolftooth over those chainrings (they ended up setting pretty quickly, and there's some sorta cross-licensing agreement in place).

In my experience, the quality and long-term durability is better on the SRAM XX1 rings than the WT's, since, like high-end Shimano, the SRAM rings are cold forged and then machined (at least 12 speed XX1, not sure about the 11 speed). CNC rings like the WT's never seem to last as long. Then again, it's great that WT still supports the older stuff.
SRAM was trying to protect its X-sync chain ring (narrow/wide) patent, which was needed for the 1x drivetrain they deemed Wolf Tooth was infringing upon.

Wow, I missed that one in the news.
Sadly, that makes me wonder how much of the high prices we pay for chainrings and other bike parts goes to the millions companies spend in litigation.
I've occasionally pondered that if the non-obviousness / novelty aspect of patents were interpreted more narrowly and enforced more strictly, there would be fewer patents and less of this kind of thing.
Along those lines, I found this related article quite interesting: https://www.ipwatchdog.com/2022/02/10/commercial-success-can-prove-non-obviousness

Back