Wolf Head oil in a marine application?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am currently looking at a boat, which the owner has very comprehensive records of all of his maintenance. He shows that he has been running Wolf Head sae 40 in it. Twin Mercruiser 5.7's with efi. Any info on this oil?

It used to be a SOPUS brand but was sold to Amalie a few years ago. I'd say it protected the engine well if a 40 wt. was called for.

Wolf's Head is made by Amalie. I've used it in the past with my 94 Wrangler and had no problems(ran it for like 50k worth of Oil changes) as my friend who's a mechanic keeps a constant stock of it.

Haven't had a change to get a VOA done due to my wedding coming up and money being tight but I think its a pretty good oil.

Getting closer to buying this boat, I have my surveyor coming out today. Now I have to decide what oil I will run in it. I may switch it to the Mercruiser 25w40 semi synthetic that I am used to running.

Originally Posted By: x97labelle
Getting closer to buying this boat, I have my surveyor coming out today. Now I have to decide what oil I will run in it. I may switch it to the Mercruiser 25w40 semi synthetic that I am used to running.

I have been running the Merc/Quicksilver 25w40 oil for over 20 years. Never a problem. You can get it at West Marine for $19.99/gal for the dino. I think the blend was $23.99/gal. I always just use the dino because I never get past 50 hours a season.

In the past I have always used the merc 25w40 semi syn. Although these engines have been running on wolf head sae 40 dino for quite a while now. Would it be better to stick with regular oil over the semi syn? Is it too late to switch over due to higher detergent levels causing leaks?

I don't think you will have a leak issue. I perfer dino marine oils because I have read that they have better corrosion protection versus synthetics. Since my boat sits for weeks at a time I am all about anti-corrosion. So far so good with the dino and it is cheaper. You can't go wrong with a 40w in those engines. Walmart carries Pennzoil Marine 40w for $4.87/qt. which is a fine oil as well. If dino works...why switch? Unless you put lots of hours on.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back