WM Supertech 10W-40, 4,450 mi '96 Land Cruiser

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tim

Here we go again, another Oilguard analysis with zero iron and chromium...
confused.gif

I think I am done using Oilguard. I just can't believe the results. Granted, I am not the king of long drains, but to have 4 out of 5 analyses (three different vehicles) come back with zero iron and zero chromium after 4450, 3980, 2750 and 2000 miles tells me they just aren't seeing these metals. Only sample of the 5 that had iron was from a 2,750 mile Schaeffer 15w-40 run
dunno.gif

This sample is from my brother's 96 Cruiser with 126,000 total miles. It is his wife's DD kid-hauler. 4,450 OCI on Supertech includes a 950 mile drive from Milwaukee to Richmond, VA. OCI was roughly August - November (so a fair amount of short-trip driving mixed in there). He has owned the vehicle since about 40,000 miles. He runs Mobil 1 in the winter for the cold flow, and any cheap dino in the summer. He generally does not go more than 3,000 between changes, but I talked him into leaving this drain go so we could sample when we were together over the holiday (chronic oil changing must be genetic
grin.gif
).

Filter unknown...not a Fram
smile.gif

FE 0
CR 0
PB 0
CU 2
SN 0
AL 2
NI 0

SI 3
NA 3
K 0

Visc 14.5
Fuel 0
Glycol 0
Water 0
Soot 0.5
TBN 8

TBN of 8 seems high - I don't believe it. SI is amazingly low...not sure I believe that either. You already know what I think of the metals...

Going to switch to Blackstone... See also this thread:

http://theoildrop.server101.com/cgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=002958;p=1

for head to head lab comparo between Oilguard and Blackstone on the same sample.

I don't mean to slam Oilguard, I just don't think the value is there.

Oh, and it took a month to get the results. Even worse than the usual three weeks.

YMMV,

Tim

Quote: "Was this Exxon Mobil Supertech or WPP Supertech?"

Not sure...whatever they sell in Milwaukee. Sorry.

Also noticed they did not show any Moly. I don't know if this is regional, but my Supertech in Texas always shows Moly...40 - 60ppm.

Also forgot to mention: No make-up oil on this interval.

0 ppm metals is possible. But it's hard to gage correctness in any UOA, let alone a suspect report or one that doesn't show additive levels. Maybe next sample goes to both labs.
smile.gif

" ppm metals is possible. But it's hard to gage correctness in any UOA, let alone a suspect report or one that doesn't show additive levels. Maybe next sample goes to both labs."

The previous sample (at the link) went to both labs. That was my LX-450...

These guys have a problem....

My family has three Toyota Landcruisers 86' 94' and 97' All three have large 7.8-8.2 quart sumps and are very easy on the oil. My father always went 7500 miles on dealership service with bulk castrol and Toyota filter. I'm going 10000 miles with GC and Motorcraft filters. I will post that sample in April. 600,000+ miles total between the three!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back