WM offers lens polishing -- good deal?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm the one who started this whole topic. Here's an update:

The lenses are still cloudy-looking, not so much when the lights are off as when they're on. I've checked into a local shop, "Ugly Yellow Headlights," and they want between $80 and $110 to refurbish your lights. ("Ugly" is putting it mildly. And I ain't referrin' to the headlights.)

Is this the Meguiar's kit someone mentioned? http://www.autogeek.net/meguiars-plastic-headlight-kit.html

I have a 3/8" cordless drill now, which I didn't before, so this kit seems like what I need.

I've used plasticx and it's an OK product, but not if your lenses are really foggy.

I've used the 3M kit before on some really bad lights. They came out pretty good. This kit has sandpaper as well as compound. Don't hit the sandpaper on your paint!

As grampi said, you might also want to consider some rubbing compound by itself with some elbow grease and a terry cloth. Depends on how bad the light are. I've used Meg's ultimate compound on several.

Yeah, Mike, that's why I didn't want to get some large backing plate to go on my drill. Any larger than 3" or so, and I'd be worried I might hit the lip of the hood where it comes down to the lights. If I'm careful with a small backing plate/pad, I should be okay, as the headlights feature a rubbery trim all around the lenses, separating them from the hood and fenders.

I'll have a look at my local PepBoys for this, and for rubbing compound while I'm at it; they have the best selection of detailing stuff of all the local auto parts stores.

You can buy the stuff walmart uses, they used to use that crystal view kit (they sell for 20 bucks in the department) but now use the 3m kit (they also sell for about 20 bucks in the department).
I've used both, the crystal view kit is a little more work but I believe it says it has a lifetime warranty I know the 3m kit they use is supposed to last from 10 months to about 2 years before it starts hazing again... kinda a large gap there.
I still prefer the crystal view kit since it has the sealer coat at the end where as most cleaning kits just sand and polish the lens.

I buff out my Ford and Jag headlights all the time. They don't stay clear for very long. 3 months max, here in bright and sunny S. Florida.

Remember that replacement headlight assy's can be very cheap on certain discount internet auto parts places. Sometimes, that's a better choice, as the reflector is new too!

I did my wifes mothers Van a month ago, no kit.. I plugged in my die-grinder with a buffing pad to my air compressor, i had some metal polish on hand. I lightly buffed the lights back to a nice clear finish.. so, what can i say.. it worked, problem solved, no money spent.

This past weekend I helped out a neighbor with totally fooged over headlights.
The 1996 Volvo wagon is the worst set of headlights that I have ever done.
I first taped up the surrounding paintwork then got started.
Using a drill and the 3M backing plate I started with 500 grit, then 800, 1500, and 3000.
Then polished with Meguiars 105 & 205
Finished up with Helmsman Clear Spar Varnish cut 50% with mineral spirits. They look like brand new and people have been reporting on Helmsmans longevity on Autogeek for almost two years and their test samples are still perfectly clear.

I gave up trying to find the right supplies and a window of time when it wasn't too sticky hot to do the job. Instead I went to the Ugly Yellow Headlights place I mentioned in an earlier post. Forty-five minutes on a Saturday morning, $99, and the lamps look brand new.

Originally Posted By: JustinH
Keep a coat of wax on your good headlights guys. That keeps the UV from turning them yellow.

That is why a good amount of cars with yellow headlights are out in Florida.
+1 On this.

Originally Posted By: oilboy123
Some cars have new headlight assys for around $50 a shot. I tried polishing mine out but just replaced the headlights.

Which car is that? Some cars are $1000.

consumer reports magazine this month said the best packaged kit was sylvania, followed by 3m, cant remember who was 3rd. I dont think they tested a lot of them tho.
I think sylvania is expensive at $21

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: edwardh1
consumer reports magazine this month said the best packaged kit was sylvania, followed by 3m, cant remember who was 3rd. I dont think they tested a lot of them tho.
I think sylvania is expensive at $21

Turtle Wax was #3. They mentioned a "protectorant". Which my Turtle Wax kit did not have. Maybe because I bought my Turtle Wax kit a few years ago. I have purchased some 3M protectorant and when it gets 50F out I will try it.

They also said with the drill powered kit it was easy to do damage (or something along those lines).

I just used the Meguiars drill kit on my 04 below. And it worked very well on the headlights.
It would have worked amazing well if I would have realized that the daytime running light/turn signal compartment hazing was on the inside. It was actually from the bulbs coating able to just be rinsed out in about 30 seconds. In stead polished those things for about an hour before I took them out and looked at them.
smile.gif

As far as a sealant goes use wax. Mine were fine for the fist 200k and 6 years of Florida sun because I slapped some wax on them a few times a year. Didn't do it for the last two years an the looked terrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back