Wix xp vrs fram ultra vrs mobil 1 filter

I know most will choose ultra.
I wanted your attention.
Wix lists flow rating of 9-11 gpm.
Anyone know what ultra, mobil 1, or purolator 1 flows?
I have used hem all.
No problem with any.
I have ultra on 3 trucks now but thinking wix xp for next change..

The flow spec of 9-11 gpm really doesn't mean much without some qualifiers that it's based on.

All of those filters you've listed are going to "flow" way more than what your engine is capable of. Keep in mind that the engine uses a positive displacement oil pump, so it will provide the same flow through the filter, but some filters will have a bit more delta-p across them if they are a bit more flow restrictive.

The oiling system of an engine is not like the water system of your house.

If you're thinking of Wix XP, Napa has the Platinum filter on sale for $6.49 this month, so it costs much less than the Ultra. Napa Platinum is Wix XP :)

One major difference is, besides the Napa sales, which include the cartridge filters, the Napa Platinum/Wix XP is made in a much wider range of applications than the Ultra.

I know many people would demand definitive evidence to back any such claim but suffice it to say that I have dug around this site and elsewhere to the point to where I am convinced that the Fram Ultra/Titanium's flow rate is the best of any non-racing spec oil filter. In fact what I have read suggests that it is just marginally lower than Fram's HP series racing oil filter line.

Here are two threads to start reading through:

Higher capacity like the Ultra has, means as it gets filled you will still have less restriction.Those numbers they give are for new filters.

If you're thinking of Wix XP, Napa has the Platinum filter on sale for $6.49 this month, so it costs much less than the Ultra. Napa Platinum is Wix XP :)

One major difference is, besides the Napa sales, which include the cartridge filters, the Napa Platinum/Wix XP is made in a much wider range of applications than the Ultra.
So should I load up?
I typically use an XG7317 for both of my Hondas.
Either one or 2 OCI, 6k-8k each, depending on how bad I don't want to drive to Wally to get a new one when changing oil.

So should I load up?
I typically use an XG7317 for both of my Hondas.
Either one or 2 OCI, 6k-8k each, depending on how bad I don't want to drive to Wally to get a new one when changing oil.

How long does it take you to drive those miles?

The 47356 (57356XP) is a very common application used on most Japanese cars, so no need to stock up. I don't like buying large quantities of filters unless it's an obscure application I have to buy online

Napa has the sale often enough so that you don't need to buy more than two at a time. Since you have two Hondas in your sig, don't buy more than 4 now.

How long does it take you to drive those miles?

The 47356 (57356XP) is a very common application used on most Japanese cars, so no need to stock up. I don't like buying large quantities of filters unless it's an obscure application I have to buy online

Napa has the sale often enough so that you don't need to buy more than two at a time. Since you have two Hondas in your sig, don't buy more than 4 now.
Van is changed twice a year , car gets less miles so probably every 8-10 months

I know many people would demand definitive evidence to back any such claim but suffice it to say that I have dug around this site and elsewhere to the point to where I am convinced that the Fram Ultra/Titanium's flow rate is the best of any non-racing spec oil filter. In fact what I have read suggests that it is just marginally lower than Fram's HP series racing oil filter.

Many years ago, I cut open a Fram racing HP1 oil filter. At that time, it looked like a PH8A filter media inside a larger and heavier can. That might explain the high flow rate, not sure about today.

I know many people would demand definitive evidence to back any such claim but suffice it to say that I have dug around this site and elsewhere to the point to where I am convinced that the Fram Ultra/Titanium's flow rate is the best of any non-racing spec oil filter. In fact what I have read suggests that it is just marginally lower than Fram's HP series racing oil filter line.

Here are two threads to start reading through:

This makes me further wonder why my truck has a lifter tick and lots of cold start piston slap with the fram ultra, but it's silent and has almost zero piston slap on a cold start with the Fram extra guard? Or the previous cheapo filters that were being used before I purchased the truck?

It always ran conventional 5w30 and cheap filters at the oil change place until I purchased from my employer and continue to use for work every day.

I switched to full synthetic 5w30 high mileage Quaker state and a fram ultra. Started to tick immediately after.

I thought it was the different oil although I couldn't understand why. Then I read on here that these engines (4.8 gm) sometimes don't like Fram ultra. So I bought an extra guard and changed the filter but not the oil (put the ultra on my 350 olds v8 where it is not causing any issues) and the tick went away immediately as well as the cold start piston slap.

Any theories on why this would be? I'm trying the m1 ep filter this time since my friend has a 4.8 that has way more piston slap than mine and he said it seemed better with the m1ep than whatever it had on it before.

I have piston slap with fram, wix, purolator, hastings supertech,a/c delco mobil 1 filters so far.
No filter or oil helps

Well mine it doesn't have it with certain filters, so that's what I'm interested in figuring out why. I'd like to use the best filters as far as filtration, but don't want to listen to it tick, so I had to downgrade the filter.

Oil doesn't seem to matter though.

If it's truly piston slap, the filter should not make a difference. Perhaps it's a lifter or chain tensioner.
It was 2 different noises that started with the filter change and ended with the next filter change. Was definitely the typical piston slap that these engines commonly have, during a cold start, but it's basically not present other than when I had switched to the ultra.

The tick after warmup sounded like a steady lifter tick from one lifter. I used a stethoscope to verify no exhaust leaks.

I cannot personally explain or understand why the piston slap worsened so much just with a different filter, but it happened. At the cost of another Fram ultra at $13 I could test again to be sure, but it seems like a waste of money. I'm going to try the Mobil 1 filter (same price) because I'm hoping it doesn't show the same results. If it does I'll pull it off and put it on the Oldsmobile. (Because of my headers I have to use the same filter as the truck on my olds engine - same thread and everything).

If it was true piston slap it would not be affected by the oil filter. That’s impossible.
Than it must have been a coincidence/temperature change as far as the piston slap goes (had to wait until the next cold start to verify it was quieter again).

But the lifter tick for sure stayed for the 2000kms before I changed the filter and it's been gone for another 2k roughly since then.

I know most will choose ultra.
I wanted your attention.
Wix lists flow rating of 9-11 gpm.
Anyone know what ultra, mobil 1, or purolator 1 flows?
I have used hem all.
No problem with any.
I have ultra on 3 trucks now but thinking wix xp for next change..
Guys it’s an Oilfiter, not a diamond ring. IMHO buy the filter when you buy the oil. oil and filter combos are frequently on sale together🚗. Flow is somewhat misleading, does High Flow imply low filtration

Reactions: hrv
I am sure that I have seen failures of most brands, Not Wix, never sold them. I had one customer who only bought K&N, because it had a hex end and he claimed it was difficult to change on his car

Back