WIX XP 99% Efficiency at 21 Microns

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: RichardS
"Every filter has a bypass valve. I believe it's mandated by every manufacturer."

Well, actually.

Filters designed for engines that have the bypass valve in the engine block do not have a bypass valve in the filter.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Originally Posted By: RichardS
"Every filter has a bypass valve. I believe it's mandated by every manufacturer."

Well, actually.

Filters designed for engines that have the bypass valve in the engine block do not have a bypass valve in the filter.

Yes, exactly. My oil filters for the Buick don't have a bypass valve in them.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
I listen to the WIX Tech Dept who told me on the phone that it's efficiency is 50% @ 20 microns. I think WIX knows more about their filters than some YouTube filter reviewer.
smile.gif

Well - it was worth a shot.
grin.gif

Do you have a spreadsheet of all the BITOG members you've played over the years?

I dunno. If someone (deliberately?) habitually posts wrong or muddle-headed info. in order to get a reaction (AKA trolling, I believe) are you being "played" if you correct it, or should you just leave it?

Someone might believe it, after all.

A dilemma.

Kind of like saying my Sonata is rated at 37 mpg, capable of driving over 100 mph.

The two are not related.

Originally Posted By: Ducked
I listen to the WIX Tech Dept who told me on the phone that it's efficiency is 50% @ 20 microns. I think WIX knows more about their filters than some YouTube filter reviewer.
smile.gif

Well - it was worth a shot.
grin.gif

Do you have a spreadsheet of all the BITOG members you've played over the years?

I dunno. If someone (deliberately?) habitually posts wrong or muddle-headed info. in order to get a reaction (AKA trolling, I believe) are you being "played" if you correct it, or should you just leave it?

A dilemma.

Ah but what if you posted it incorrectly and you go back and now you can't edit it!

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
Originally Posted By: Ducked

A dilemma.

Ah but what if you posted it incorrectly and you go back and now you can't edit it!

Uh?

And I hope one day I can believe … having cut open a few XP’s the design and quality construction is truly there … So perhaps a change in the media could make this a top shelf filter …

Phone calls are nice, but they aren't proof of anything, that's why written contracts exist. People can and do say wrong things on the phone, a lot. It has to be from the company as an official statement. The fly in the ointment is Wix says it is their best filter and goes on and on about it in their literature. So apparently they think efficiency ratings are not that important, or the filter is better than 50%. Seems logical to me anyway.

Originally Posted By: Donald
The are SAE tests that can be run. Single and multi-pass. Those are the results I would believe, preferably from an independent lab.

ISO 4548-12 is the industry's standard now for oil filter efficiency testing. The SAE tests are old, and don't think anyone uses them anymore today, unless the are "behind the times" by many years.

So using the ISO standard+Wix XP in search … found several sites showing 99% at 35 microns …
Guess it might improve with miles … but don’t have that graphic depiction …

How important is 99% @ 20 microns? The O'Reilly site shows that the Wix XP is 99% @ 35 microns; besides the obvious 15 microns, what is the real world difference?

The reason I ask, it has been reported on BITOG that Toyota and Honda OEM filters are ~50% @ 20 microns, so it appears as though OEM engineers view flow equally important as filtering?

Purely anecdotal, but our (retired) 88 Camry 4 cylinder had just over 350,000 miles before giving way to rust and a rear main seal leak that wasn't worth fixing -- engine (and tranny) was original with mostly Toyota OEM (tiny) filters.

Wix XP appears to be taking the OEM approach that flow is about as important as filtering, especially for extended intervals. Curious what the thought process is with regard to that.

Originally Posted By: Curtis Newton
How important is 99% @ 20 microns?

It's extremely important to ZeeOSix. There's no way you'll get him to run a Wix XP or NAPA Platinum. Not even if you sent him a whole case for free.
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: goodtimes
So apparently they think efficiency ratings are not that important, or the filter is better than 50%. Seems logical to me anyway.

If it was better than 50% @ 20 microns, WIX would certainly say so. Give them a call yourself, their contact phone number is on their website. See what they tell you.

When is he last time you saw a company under advertise the performance of their products?

Originally Posted By: 4WD
Originally Posted By: Donald
The are SAE tests that can be run. Single and multi-pass. Those are the results I would believe, preferably from an independent lab.

ISO 4548-12 is the industry's standard now for oil filter efficiency testing. The SAE tests are old, and don't think anyone uses them anymore today, unless the are "behind the times" by many years.

So using the ISO standard+Wix XP in search … found several sites showing 99% at 35 microns …
Guess it might improve with miles … but don’t have that graphic depiction …

Don't know where the 99% @ 35u came from. If it's true then WIX Tech line should be able to validate. Could be 99% @ 35u equates to 50% @ 20u depending on the shape of the efficiency curve. "99%" sounds netter than "50%", so could be WIX moved the reported efficiency point to make it look better.

When I called them they wouldn't even tell me what test spec they used. I asked if it was ISO 4548-12, and they told me that information was "proprietary". Nothing proprietary about ISO 4548-12.

If it was better than 50% @ 20 microns, WIX would certainly say so. Give them a call yourself, their contact phone number is on their website. See what they tell you.

When is he last time you saw a company under advertise the performance of their products?

Ding ding. When it comes to marketing, if a company has "it" they say so.

It's extremely important to ZeeOSix. There's no way you'll get him to run a Wix XP or NAPA Platinum. Not even if you sent him a whole case for free.
grin.gif

lol.gif
... Yeah, why if there are more efficient filters available? I like less junk floating around in my oil, regardless if I can tell if my engine is benefiting from less wear or not.
grin2.gif

grin.gif

lol.gif
... Yeah, why if there are more efficient filters available? I like less junk floating around in my oil, regardless if I can tell if my engine is benefiting from less wear or not.
grin2.gif

lol.gif
Yeah, it would be funny to see the look on your face if a case of WIX XP/NAPA Platinum oil filters arrived in the mail at your home.

Originally Posted By: Tony10s

grin.gif

Good for stocking stuffers for
lol.gif
grin2.gif

lol.gif
Yeah, it would be funny to see the look on your face if a case of WIX XP/NAPA Platinum oil filters arrived in the mail at your home.

LoL, maybe good for stocking stuffers.
grin2.gif
I would run one if I had to, but not by choice. At least they don't tear, which is a good thing.

This one is from bestmotoroilfilters.com … but there was a long detailed “sheet” on the frugal mechanic site and a couple others. This might be it and the 20u is only 50% …

re: 99% @ 35 microns. 4WD just responded in another thread with a reply from Wix.

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4600205/Re:_Mobil1_vs._Wix_XP#Post4600205

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back