Wix WL10010

JC1

Wix WL10010 from Rockauto, used on my Caravan. Normal OCI for this filter was 10,000 KM (6200 miles). Oil used was Pennzoil Platinum. This filter was sitting in the bin from a few years ago.

IMG_20200712_120112.jpg

IMG_20200712_120117.jpg

IMG_20200712_120121.jpg

IMG_20200712_120126.jpg

IMG_20200712_120130.jpg

IMG_20200712_120152.jpg

IMG_20200712_120154.jpg

That's actually not bad for one of those filters! I've seen way worse after shorter OCI's with the Pentastar. What did you replace it with?

If you can get the XP, that shoudn't twist at all since it's wire-backed.

I used one in my Rubicon, but they are the longest of the filters I measured (WIX, Mahle, Hastings, Mopar, and FRAM) and they tend to twist.

Wix WL10010 from Rockauto, used on my Caravan. Normal OCI for this filter was 10,000 KM (6200 miles). Oil used was Pennzoil Platinum. This filter was sitting in the bin from a few years ago.

I noticed the waviness when I used a Wix in my wife's 2014 T&C. Since then I went to the Mopar the last few changes. It didn't seem to experience the same issue...

@JC1 - as promised:

This is what I have observed thus far:
  • The Mopar OEM (MO-349) and WIX filters (WL10010) have twisted, The WIX has a fixed small end (end with the o-ring), I cannot remember what the OEM Mopar had.
  • FRAM Ultra (XG11665) and Hastings (LF-697) have not twisted and have a free-spinning small end (end with the o-ring).
  • Mahle (OX1213D) filters have not twisted and have a fixed small end (end with the o-ring).
I took all 4 of the new filters out of the box and compared them and tried to take some measurements.

From Left to Right in the photo (below):

Mahle (OX1213D):

4-7/8" Filter Body
6-3/16" Base to End (O-Ring End)

Hastings (LF-697):

5" Filter Body
6-1/4" Base to End (O-Ring End)

FRAM Ultra (XG11665):

5" Filter Body
6-1/4" Base to End (O-Ring End)

WIX (WL10010):

5-1/16" Filter Body
6-5/16" Base to End (O-Ring End)

• The WIX is the longest of the filters (base to end) which may explain why it twisted (it has a fixed end).
  • The Mahle is the shortest (base to end) which could explain why it did not twist. (it has a fixed end)
  • Both the FRAM and the Hastings are the same length which may the correct length, but these filters also have a free-spinning end which may help prevent twisting.

@IndyFan measured an M1 filter and here are his findings:

End cap to end cap 4 23/32"
End cap to tip 6 3/32"

JuCEhX.jpg

Thanks a bunch for the detailed sizes of the filters. I wonder what size the mopar filters are?
@IndyFan may have some input on that one. I did not measure the Mopar that I had, but I do know that it twisted and it was only used for 800 miles when I changed it (factory fill and filter).

@IndyFan may have some input on that one. I did not measure the Mopar that I had, but I do know that it twisted and it was only used for 800 miles when I changed it (factory fill and filter).
The only Mopar I had was the one from the factory and it is long gone. It twisted more than the Frams and the M1 that I have run since. But it held together just fine, as did the others. No signs of compromise to the pleats or any other part of the filter.

I´d like to ask @OIL_UDDER @OIL_ about what happens in there to cause the twist and what the idea is behind the design/set up. He is one of the designers of the Pentastar. I suspect he will tell us that they are all fine, but I´d still like to ask details about it.

Interesting. I've been using OEM MO-349 filters in my Wrangler with no twisting noted. I picked up a NAPA (Wix) 100010 yesterday. After reading this thread I just ran out and measured it. The filter body is just over 4 13/16". I also noticed it is made in China.

Reactions: JC1
Indyfan, so what is your preferred filter for the Pentastar?

My fav is the Fram Ultra. But I bought about 12 Mobil 1 filters on clearance at Walmart for 4 bucks each. While not as efficient as the Fram, I think they are still very good, so I´ll be running them for a good long time.

My fav is the Fram Ultra. But I bought about 12 Mobil 1 filters on clearance at Walmart for 4 bucks each. While not as efficient as the Fram, I think they are still very good, so I´ll be running them for a good long time.
My gripe about the M1 filters is the cost, so your $4 price tag eliminates that. You got a great deal for sure.

My gripe about the M1 filters is the cost, so your $4 price tag eliminates that. You got a great deal for sure.
Lol, I could have gotten more, but I left some for others. With 12, though, that's probably 90k miles at 7.5k per OCI, which is what I think we'll be doing. They'll be at least 5k, but I think I'll go the distance which usually works out to about 7500.

I was at Walmart earlier today and looked at the the filters I could find for the 3.6L. Fram, M1, Supertech, Mopar. From what I saw only the Supertech was made in the USA. I could not find country of origin on the Mopar filter.

I just had my first experience with these filters changing the oil on the wife’s 3.6 Charger today. There’s a few things I am curious about...

What is the purpose of the small o ring on the “stinger” end? I suppose the stinger is just there to keep the filter properly aligned in the filter housing.
Second, I see how short that Mahle filter is picture above, wouldn’t that possible cause oil to bypass the filter media since it would be so loose fitting? Is the seal not created from the filter cap squeezing down the filter cartridge in order for the gaskets on both ends to do their job?

I installed the new filter into the housing first then screwed on the cap... But everything I am finding now shows people popping the filter onto the cap first, then screwing it in. When I was removing it, the filter remained in the housing and did not come out with the cap, so I just did the install in reverse. Not sure if it matters?

I installed the new filter into the housing first then screwed on the cap... But everything I am finding now shows people popping the filter onto the cap first, then screwing it in. When I was removing it, the filter remained in the housing and did not come out with the cap, so I just did the install in reverse. Not sure if it matters?

What's the filter change procedure in the manual show?

Managed to find the 2015+ FSM online, elusive.

Looks like the filter snaps into the cap first, oops. They show a “retainer” feature in the cap that is essentially a spring loaded stopper that keeps tension on the filter cartridge, much like the spring in a conventional spin on.

Well at least the new Pentastar filter is in a easy location and relatively mess free to remove.

Back