Wix vs Dealership OEM Oil Filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
As part of my BYOF vs Dealership Oil question, I'm also wondering which is best: providing my own Wix filter for a 5-6K OCI or using a dealership OEM filter. In my case, it would be a Mopar for my Dodge, and a Motorcraft for my Ford truck. I think Purolator makes Mopar, and I'm not sure who currently makes Motorcraft. I know Purolator has had a lot of documented QC issues with torn filter media. Wix is top shelf for a normal OCI (to the best of my knowledge).

So if a dealership allows BYOF, what's better: Wix or Mopar/Motorcraft OEM?

Wix filters are fine, but not 'better enough' to bother having the dealer install something other than their standard service filter.

From what I have learned is the mopar filters are purolator and the motorcraft is also purolator....and neither of these have had the tearing issues like the actual purolator branded filters are having....I would let the dealer put the oem filter on..mopar or motorcraft...I have some oem mopar dealer installed filters cut open from my personal daily driver on here somewhere...they looked good.

Im sure there is..nothing in this world is perfect....part that gets me and is sooo assinine is there own filters are failing while filters that they make for 2 of the worlds largest OEMs are dam near perfect....one [censored] of a way of doin business (NOT)....I dunno...ehhhh

There have been Fram Ultra failures also. Mass produced part there will be a few defects. I will continue to use Motorcraft and Wix.

Originally Posted By: dave1251
There have been Fram Ultra failures also. Mass produced part there will be a few defects. I will continue to use Motorcraft and Wix.

Only been two or three cartridge filters reported ... nothing of concern has been reported with the spin-ons.

Originally Posted By: dave1251

Your are correct but you are playing an odds game too, 1 spin on failure vs hundreds?

I looked at both Walmart and Advance Auto, and I was disappointed with their OEM offerings. Walmart had my Motorcraft filter for about $4, and no Mopar filters that fit my needs. Advance had the Motorcraft for about $1.50 more than Walmart, and only one Mopar filter was a match. It was over $7! If that's what the stores are charging, dealerships must be higher.

I can get Wix with my Amsoil Preferred Customer account for less delivered right to my door with my fluids of choice. This seems to be another case where convenience (and price) makes sense with Wix.

I'll have to see what the dealerships want for their OEM filters, but I'm willing to be it's much more than my Wix. Since I'm ordering fluids anyway, seems to be the way to go.

Originally Posted By: SwedishRider
I looked at both Walmart and Advance Auto, and I was disappointed with their OEM offerings. Walmart had my Motorcraft filter for about $4, and no Mopar filters that fit my needs. Advance had the Motorcraft for about $1.50 more than Walmart, and only one Mopar filter was a match. It was over $7! If that's what the stores are charging, dealerships must be higher.

I can get Wix with my Amsoil Preferred Customer account for less delivered right to my door with my fluids of choice. This seems to be another case where convenience (and price) makes sense with Wix.

I'll have to see what the dealerships want for their OEM filters, but I'm willing to be it's much more than my Wix. Since I'm ordering fluids anyway, seems to be the way to go.

Buy online from AAP then pick up in store. If you're walking in the store off the street, you're paying too much.

Use promo code TRT30 for your filter...it's 30% off they don't give you in the store. I pay $2.58 for an FL820S.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back