Wix Racing oil filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have any of you tried these? I have a few of these and am thinking about using them in a few of my Muscle cars.

Last edited:
THESE FILTERS ARE NOT FOR STREET USE! You puke an engine over some oil problem, Wix WILL NOT support your use of a racing only filter on a street driven vehicle. Sez so right on the box.

No not empty, but they are not made for street use. They have an extreamly high flow rate and are not much in the way of dirt holding capacity or filtering. They are primarily to catch the big pieces when a motor starts to go bad.
57.gif

Look them up on the Wix web site. Read what the directions on the box says. you don't have to believe me, but, believe the directions.

Wow, you believe everything that you read? Just kidding. LOL.

I would not use these in newer vehicles, but I have been told by a good amount of car owners that they are great in older muscle cars. They filter well enough and flow as good as anything on the mkt. I want to make sure that my older engines are not starving for oil.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: fito
I would not use these in newer vehicles, but I have been told by a good amount of car owners that they are great in older muscle cars. They filter well enough and flow as good as anything on the mkt. I want to make sure that my older engines are not starving for oil.

Most racing filters do not have the bypass valve. So if it does plug up, you will be starving your engine for oil. It all depends on the application.

Older engines? I've run a pile of different filters on my old Ford engines and never had an oil flow problem....
21.gif

Perhaps you are looking for a solution to a problem that doesn't exist......

No, but I do believe that what my employer says in their documentation about the products we produce is true. Use them if you must, but the burden is on you not Wix.

They're sieves. There's no reason to use them on anything other than an engine where the refresh rate is so frequent that filtration takes on a new dimension in terms of protection.

LOL.gif
It wasn't a stupid question. It's the most effective way to learn a few things. You may not like the delivery at times.

Unless your older engine has some insanely crazy high volume oil pump, it wouldn't be worth using a "racing filter" IMO. They are used by racers that are at redline most of the time and that have engines that run thicker oil with very high volume oil pumps.

I was just curious because I have some laying around.

The specs looked really good for this filter 51515R(Wix). It is a T-71 which filters pretty good and does have the valve.

My 63 Galaxie 427(true survivor-maybe driven 200 miles a year) runs like new and I just want to make sure it gets plenty of oil. I sometimes think some of the newer filters are just too restrictive with oil flow.

I also have some original oil filters that were put on these cars when new(use for shows) and I would bet they do NOT filter as well as the new Wix.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back