Wix question

Originally Posted by Granitepeak
The original design being a bypass system meant that most of the fluid did not get filtered and went back into the pan. If I switch to a full flow filter there won't be the restriction and therefore I'm pretty sure the oil pressure is going to drop significantly. So the bypass oil filter that has restriction is required so that it can build pressure.
A person redesigned the system and with some machining and tapping into the oil pump created a full flow system. ...
If the conversion was really to a true full-flow system, small holes in the filter are no longer appropriate, because they would severely limit flow to bearings, etc. If the conversion was merely to allow using a normal full-flow filter in a system that's still essentially partial-flow, then the holes must be small to prevent bypassing too much flow, unless there's another restriction in flow to the filter. We need a circuit diagram of the original versus modified oiling system.

Very interesting all this is still made to put on any engine. The Fram has the restriction hole inside the center tube like the Wix. That seems to me all you need to see and all is OK, it's still a bypass setup. Full flow will have to have full size pipes running to the adapter too.

That's the same filter my Dad's 1976 Massey Ferguson 230 takes with the Continental 145ci gasoline engine. He has always used the Wix or Napa Gold equivalent for well over 2000 hours of ownership.

I'd stick with the Wix myself.

The engine manufacturer for Massey by Continental who also made aircraft engines. Maybe the oil circuit comes from those designs.

On a Massey forum I found an old post explaining how it works and becomes more logical. I appreciate all the time spent by everyone trying to help! Below is the post. Don

The oil filtering system on these tractors is a bypass setup. The full flow of oil does not pass through the filter, the filter is merely a branch of the oil circuit that discharges to the pan. The more flow through the filter, the less flow through the bearings. Due to the low flow, there is really no need for large holes. Remember the factory filter center bolt was only drilled between 1/16 to 3/32 inch. That orificed bolt drained directly to the crankcase.

The Wix 51050 is a direct replacement for the MF filter.

The engine manufacturer for Massey by Continental who also made aircraft engines. Maybe the oil circuit comes from those designs.

On a Massey forum I found an old post explaining how it works and becomes more logical. I appreciate all the time spent by everyone trying to help! Below is the post. Don

The oil filtering system on these tractors is a bypass setup. The full flow of oil does not pass through the filter, the filter is merely a branch of the oil circuit that discharges to the pan. The more flow through the filter, the less flow through the bearings. Due to the low flow, there is really no need for large holes. Remember the factory filter center bolt was only drilled between 1/16 to 3/32 inch. That orificed bolt drained directly to the crankcase.

The Wix 51050 is a direct replacement for the MF filter.

There you go. It doesn't really mater what size the inlet holes are as long as they are bigger than the outlet hole size.

Thanks for the link
Read it but still not clear if the spin on should be a bypass filter or full flow

Based on the fact that the Fram filter also had one small hole on the outlet side to control the oil flow through the filter, it looks to be just a spin-on bypass filter kit to get rid of the old fashioned cartridge style bypass filter.

Correction in red of my above post:
Originally Posted by CR94
If the conversion was really to a true full-flow system, small holes in the filter are no longer appropriate, because they would severely limit flow to bearings, etc. If the conversion was merely to allow using a spin-on filter in a system that's still essentially partial-flow, then the holes must be small to prevent bypassing too much flow, unless there's another restriction in flow to the filter. We need a circuit diagram of the original versus modified oiling system.

I had previously been told that the original filtration system was bypass. Someone did a write up to convert the system to full flow. The kit came with the Fram PB50.
Thank you everyone for helping!

^^ That is all a contradiction of each other ^^

"the original filtration system was bypass" -
then use a PB50 style, because it is a bypass filter (Same as Baldwin B164)

"Someone did a write up to convert the system to full flow" -
Oh yeah?? PROVE IT! That would be a huge undertaking - rerouting oil gallies, etc, etc, etc,....

"The kit came with the Fram PB50"
Then it is NOT full flow - - the PB50 is a BYPASS ONLY!

Back