Wix question

I am new to the forum.

I bought a Wix filter which is very different from the Fram equivalent. The ports are tiny holes unless built into the filter in a way I cannot see it. Concerned about flow rate. Picture attached.

Thanks
Don

19F97A3C-D41F-4199-A98C-C36B9D058763.jpeg

The adapter came with the Fram, which has what I would call more typical flow ports
Pic attached from MF showing original canister type.

Not sure what you mean about bolt size or having to much flow.(new to this type of discussion)
Thanks

BA78DE9F-B281-4995-B470-E454FB44217D.png

Last edited:
If it's supposed to be a full flow filter, then one tiny inlet hole isn't going to be good. Does the filter conversion kit say to use what filter by brand/model, and if so does it list different brands and models of filters to use?

I had previously been told that the original filtration system was bypass. Someone did a write up to convert the system to full flow. The kit came with the Fram PB50.
Thank you everyone for helping!

Try RockAuto, but watch the shipping...

https://www.rockauto.com/en/parts/fram,PB50,oil+filter,5340

Last edited:
OP: Is there a small hole ( for restricting flow ) in the adapter in the Fram kit or is it a large dia drill thru?

If both are different, someone designed it incorrectly.

If the Fram kit Adapter restricts it, then further inline restrictions should not pose and issue in this application.
Further restrictions being the small inlet and outlet holes in the wix. Bat all this adds possibilities of plugging with flotsam.

If the original M-F canister was a bypass, the WIX wouldn't cause an equipment failure, but the kit would become ineffective.

What is the flow capability ( assessment) of the original canister and cartridge assembly that came on the M-F tractor?

Assess by the thru hole diameters at various junctures. Use the smallest as your primary restriction gauge.

A field of holes at any juncture on a surface must have their port areas combined - not addressed singly.

- Ken

About 6 months ago.
So it seems that the Fram has a small hole port in the middle and 6 larger holes closer to the seal. The Wix has a small hole in the center and 2 holes closer to the seal.

When built, came from Massey with a bypass filtration system using a replaceable element in a canister.

The spin on kit which came with the Fram used a bypass filter. Now I wonder if that should be a full flow filter given the system is already of bypass design or might that cause a pressure drop.

48CA6DFF-9BD2-4CD9-8C4E-C7A898A1EE81.png

09A89472-D6C9-42CE-A1CD-694ED4A35625.jpeg

B76A37F7-0F86-4102-B752-50515CA5EFDF.jpeg

The threaded adapter that screws into the block on the one side and the filter in the other is not restricted. The plate that the kit provides become the mating surface for the filter. I have no idea of canister filter specs.

A44413EC-2780-4874-8DC6-D9FAB183AEE7.png

The original design being a bypass system meant that most of the fluid did not get filtered and went back into the pan. If I switch to a full flow filter there won't be the restriction and therefore I'm pretty sure the oil pressure is going to drop significantly. So the bypass oil filter that has restriction is required so that it can build pressure.

A person redesigned the system and with some machining and tapping into the oil pump created a full flow system. Give them the reliability in the longevity of these engines I don't know if that has merit. But that is for another day.

Back