Wix or Puralator Air Filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pmt

I have been using Fram air filters for many years because that's the only brand carried by most places I frequent - other than some off breed brands. I have now found a store that sells Wix and another that carries Puralator air cleaners. I have not yet done a price comparison. Any quality reason to favor one over the other?
Thanks.

Yes but it is not always the same manufacture that has the best filter for your application. You have to look at both filter from purolator and wix to see which is the best. One will usually have more pleats or better construction.

In the two applications that I've serviced with both brands, the Wix filter was (or at least appeared to be) a better filter. More media, and what seemed a better moulding.

With the sale of WIX we only hope the quality holds up for both the NAPA Gold air & oil filters. The Pure One to me are the only really good filter (oil). The Purolator air seem cheap compared to WIX/NAPA.I may start looking into the Baldwin air filter they make the AMSOIL filters I've heard.
smile.gif

I love both companies and I used to use the Purolator air filters in all of my vehicles...that is, until I finally paid an extra buck or two and bought a Wix filter. Now, only Wix filters go in my vehicles.

They're kinda ugly (with that orange coloring they have) but the foam molding and the filter element appear to be better in quality than any air filters I've previously used.

WIX definitely gets my recommendation. The company simply refuses to make bad products.
smile.gif

The purolators IMO are not the best for air filters. Their oil filters are unbeatable though. Wix air filters I've found are better than OEM practically, at least for my application.

wix will be more expensive then the purolator on most applications. for me it is a 10 dollar difference.

I found that the Purolator did not fit my airbox tightly like it should. Good tight fit with AC Delco or even the STP.

quote:

Originally posted by steiner43511:
wix will be more expensive then the purolator on most applications. for me it is a 10 dollar difference.

To me, $10 extra for a super high quality air filter isn't a terribly big deal when I'm trying to keep dirt and crud from getting inside my engine. (The Wix air filters for two of my vehicles cost $9 and the other one is $20, so it's not a big deal really to replace them once a year.)

Then again, I think of the big picture as I'm on the typical blue collar family budget. All of my vehicles have over 100,000 miles on them and I'd like for them to last another 6 years until I'm finished with school.

Ten bucks here and there for better parts won't kill my budget. A $4,000 engine replacement *WILL*.

I did not think that the Purolator I put on my Tahoe was as sturdy as the AC Delco air filter that I replaced. I think that I will give WIX a try next time.

I looked at a lot of filters before I used an STP on my Toyota. It seemed to be the highest quality of all the aftermarket filters for that application.

I have a Purolator in my Mustang right now but it doesn't fit the airbox very well. I'm going to try a Wix the next time.

quote:

Originally posted by AstroVic:

quote:

Originally posted by steiner43511:

To me, $10 extra for a super high quality air filter isn't a terribly big deal when I'm trying to keep dirt and crud from getting inside my engine. (The Wix air filters for two of my vehicles cost $9 and the other one is $20, so it's not a big deal really to replace them once a year.)

Then again, I think of the big picture as I'm on the typical blue collar family budget. All of my vehicles have over 100,000 miles on them and I'd like for them to last another 6 years until I'm finished with school.

Ten bucks here and there for better parts won't kill my budget. A $4,000 engine replacement *WILL*.

in my application the wix didnt look any stronger or sturdier than the purolator or fram.

Steiner43511. At work we have a van similar to yours, a 97 chev 6.5 turbo diesel and we use Baldwin air filters, available at Grainger. they are good quality and significantly less expensive than a Delco.

In my applications I liked the fit of the Purolators better, they also had more pleats--the media didn't appear to be as heavy, but definietly more pleats if I am recalling right--and I think I am. However, I gladly use both and generally use whichever I can get cheaper.

I use purolator on my truck.. it fits my Edelbrock 10" air cleaner extremely well and has almost double the pleats as the fram I had picked up for it. I've not tried a WIX with this air cleaner.

-Bret
 -

Both are good filters. One important people ignore is the filter box. Every time you change filter. Clean the box (cause a lot of sand in the botton. I usually wash them out. Do use vacume cause dirt may get into throttle. Let it dry and put filter in. Check the seal and lock the box tightly. Every year before turnup change the filter once.

I switched from the $5 rung of air filters [fram, purolator, other generics] to the $8 wix on my Firebird recently. Solid looking piece w/ an accurately trimmed seal.

For a once a year item, I'll sacrifice an extra $3.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back