WIX moved bypass valve to rear?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just got a WIX 57145 today and noticed that the bypass valve is at the back. All the WIX filters I have bought previously have had the bypass valve at the front. Even the 57145 filters used to have the valve on the front until recently.

I have always prefered the bypass valve prior to the filter media for obvious reasons. Does anyone know if WIX is doing this to other filters as well? My guess is that it may be a cost cutting measure since the forward bypass valve looked a little more complicated to make than a rear one.

What other manufactures put the bypass valve at the front that I could check into?

Originally Posted By: rustypigeon
What other manufactures put the bypass valve at the front that I could check into?

Motorcraft is the only other one that comes to mind.

On the plus side, this should increase the size of the filtering media due to the moved valve.

Does anyone know if WIX is doing this to other filters as well?

The 51358 I recently bought has it at the rear as well.

Originally Posted By: SOHCman
On the plus side, this should increase the size of the filtering media due to the moved valve.

Or it could mean they just made the filter and media area even smaller. Seems like some filters are getting smaller and smaller with time.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

Mopar Also.

I used Baldwin in place of FL1A and it has had the bypass in the base plate of the filter, but the long version had it in the dome. The Baldwin for my Mountaineer (2005) has a dome bypass, so I went with a Motorcraft filter. Haven't bought Wix much since they painted them black (I like a color where you can see any oil leaks).

Go with Motorcraft, it is a very good filter.

I think this only on the real small filters that are listed above as the bigger ones still have the valve at the top.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

I can't seem to find a Motorcraft that cross-references with the WIX 57145

Last edited:
Motorcraft FL836 will work, but it is the shorter size compared to the 57145.

Stick with the Wix. You get a silicone adbv and higher efficiency. The dome end bypass is an extremely trivial issue. The filter is not in bypass very often and the amount of contamination would be very, very small, if any at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back