Wix GM Application/Filter Interchange Update

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd guess the difference is related to the "revision vehicle" having a different by-pass pressure.

Or maybe one subset of the involved vehicles has a greatly different pump output pressure than the other.

It's the bypass valve setting. The original one had a lower setting of 12 psi, while the new part number is set to 22psi, which GM has deemed important enough that they put out a TSB stating that 22 psi pressure setting is very important.

My Corvette is affected by this, as this is the filter mine uses.

Fram is also going to be releasing a new Ultra filter that cross references the PF64, and has the 22psi bypass setting. I've been informed by Motorking (who is a technical director at Fram) that it will indeed have a new part number.

Originally Posted By: Patman
It's the bypass valve setting. The original one had a lower setting of 12 psi, while the new part number is set to 22psi, which GM has deemed important enough that they put out a TSB stating that 22 psi pressure setting is very important.

Fram is also going to be releasing a new Ultra filter that cross references the PF64, and has the 22psi bypass setting. I've been informed by Motorking (who is a technical director at Fram) that it will indeed have a new part number.

So those of us with LS engines have to switch over to this new fitler application that has 22 PSI ??? I just purchased 6 XG3675's for my 5.3 Suburban a few weeks ago

Dave

Originally Posted By: GMguy84

So those of us with LS engines have to switch over to this new fitler application that has 22 PSI ??? I just purchased 6 XG3675's for my 5.3 Suburban a few weeks ago

Dave

It effects the the 2014 model year and up vehicles, that is my understanding.

Do you use the Ea017 on your Vette?

Originally Posted By: Rat407

Do you use the Ea017 on your Vette?

Amsoil specifies the EA15K50 for my Corvette but I never considered using that filter.

Actually 2012 & newer. https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/att...f-pf64-pf48.pdf if you care to read all the details about the newer oil pressure control system, clearances, and how they say that calls for the "new" 22 psi bypass valve setting. They issued that memo in 2017, so they were late to make a big stink about the 22 psi issue!

So those of us with LS engines have to switch over to this new fitler application that has 22 PSI ??? I just purchased 6 XG3675's for my 5.3 Suburban a few weeks ago .
Nope, yours is older than 2012, so the old bypass settings are considered fine.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies

Actually 2012 & newer. https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/att...f-pf64-pf48.pdf if you care to read all the details about the newer oil pressure control system, clearances, and how they say that calls for the "new" 22 psi bypass valve setting. They issued that memo in 2017, so they were late to make a big stink about the 22 psi issue!

So those of us with LS engines have to switch over to this new fitler application that has 22 PSI ??? I just purchased 6 XG3675's for my 5.3 Suburban a few weeks ago .
Nope, yours is older than 2012, so the old bypass settings are considered fine.

Thanks for the info
cool.gif

I found out the new part number for the Fram Ultra filter with the 22psi bypass is going to be XG12060 and it will be released in the next 30 days
smile.gif

I'm running the NP 4100290 version of their new updated filter...built like a tank, thread end bypass, and working like a champ.

That's great to see that a new FU will be available as well, thanks for the insight Patman.

Will the XG12060 replace the XG10575 for GM 5.3L engines which use the PH63E filter? I have an XG10575 currently on my 2016 Tahoe 5.3L, but it doesn't meet the 22 psi spec.

I don't think it will be replacing any filters, it is just a new addition. FWIW, there is already a PH12060 (the standard Extra Guard), so the new ones will be the Tough Guard and Ultra versions of this filter.

Originally Posted By: Ag76
Will the XG12060 replace the XG10575 for GM 5.3L engines which use the PH63E filter? I have an XG10575 currently on my 2016 Tahoe 5.3L, but it doesn't meet the 22 psi spec.
HP19 is the only Fram oil filter that really meets the spec for PF63E (22 psi bypass) oil filter applications. Its a little expensive, almost twice the cost of a Fram Ultra, and usually only available via amazon or summit racing online order only. Its a great oil filter though, running the 4548-12 at 94% @ 20 microns, built like a tank.

Last edited:
I don't think it will be replacing any filters, it is just a new addition. FWIW, there is already a PH12060 (the standard Extra Guard), so the new ones will be the Tough Guard and Ultra versions of this filter.

Sorry, I should have worded my question better. Will Fram start recommending the XG12060 for newer GM 5.3L engines instead of the XG10575? I'd prefer to use a filter that meets the GM 22 psi spec, so if the XG12060 will fit my Tahoe and Sierra, I'll use it instead of the PH63E.

Originally Posted By: Ag76
Sorry, I should have worded my question better. Will Fram start recommending the XG12060 for newer GM 5.3L engines instead of the XG10575? I'd prefer to use a filter that meets the GM 22 psi spec, so if the XG12060 will fit my Tahoe and Sierra, I'll use it instead of the PH63E.
You mean AC-Delco PF63E, not PH63E. ... Fram has been wrong about recommending the XG10575 after May 10, 2017, when the GM Tech Service Bulletin came out, and really earlier, since GM went to a 22 psi bypass on their own AC-Delco PF64 & PF63E at some point before that.
The XG12060 crosses to the PF64, which is a shorter, smaller oil filter than a PF63E size your engine uses.

Fram's bypass pressure threshold is too low, and they were very slow to react after it was obvious they were wrong. It stinks. .... The only PF63E replacement is the Fram HP19 and Wix WL10255, NAPAgold 100255, and a couple of others I can't think of right now. If its not a 22 psi bypass threshold, it ain't right, according to GM.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
You mean AC-Delco PF63E, not PH63E. ... Fram has been wrong about recommending the XG10575 after May 10, 2017, when the GM Tech Service Bulletin came out, and really earlier, since GM went to a 22 psi bypass on their own AC-Delco PF64 & PF63E at some point before that.
The XG12060 crosses to the PF64, which is a shorter, smaller oil filter than a PF63E size your engine uses.

Fram's bypass pressure threshold is too low, and they were very slow to react after it was obvious they were wrong. It stinks. .... The only PF63E replacement is the Fram HP19 and Wix WL10255, NAPAgold 100255, and a couple of others I can't think of right now. If its not a 22 psi bypass threshold, it ain't right, according to GM.

Thanks for clarifying that the XG12060 won't fit my engines. I have a Napa Gold 100255 on my truck, and it looks like the Tahoe will get one the next oil change.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back