Wix disappearing near me. Need a filter recomendation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been using Wix for a long long time now. Only problem is that they are now getting next to impossible to find without having to drive 30 miles to do so. I was buying them at my local O'Reilly shop but they stopped carrying them for some reason. So...I need a filter recomendation for the following vehicles.

2000 Dodge Durango with 318 - Runs Pennzoil 10w30

1988 Monte Carlo SS with 305 - Runs Mobil 1 10w30

1996 Toyota Rav 4 can't remember the engine size of the top of my head. - Runs Pennzoil High Mileage 10w30

1996 Dodge Ram SLT with 360 - Runs Quaker State 10w30. It's my Dad's truck...he may be the only person I know who still uses QS but he has for 30 years and isn't changing no matter what.

I was going to check out the Napa filters but lo and behold the local Napa shop went out of business.

I wouldn't mind ordering off the net since I buy so many at one time.

Purolator seems to be a good choice.
We still have Napa stores here, and so far, their Gold filters are still made by Wix. I'd be willing to buy a bunch for you and send them on, but by the time postage is paid, it wouldn't be very cost effective.

I buy Baldwin filters here:

http://www.adiesel.com/automotive.php

Thye are made in a Nebraska and are a very high quality filter. I buy them 6 at a time to get the discount. I figure it saves me money as opposed to running to the store every time. I think you would be very impressed with the construction and they did very well in testing for good filtration and flow. Very big in the fleet/industrial market. Make a lot of the big name filters.

As noted above, Purolator is very good, but Motorcraft (if they make one to fit your vehicles), which is made by Purolator, may be even better. I know the Motorcraft FL-1A has the bypass valve in the threaded end, whereas the Purolator version has it in the other end where theoretically it can move dirty oil from the filter media throught to the engine when in bypass (because it has to flow over the filter surface to get to the bypass valve). The Wix version of the FL-1A has the bypass on the threaded end. While each filter model differs, I suspect all Motorcraft have the bypass at the threaded end. But I am running a Fleetguard (wrong end bypass, but I like the flow rate), which you may be able to get from a truck place or a tractor dealer (JD and Case carry Fleetguard around my area).

At least for the Monte Carlo, you should be able to find an AC. The other OEM filters seem to get good comments here too.

If you like Wix filters, then I'd say head over to your nearest Napa Auto store. Both their Gold and Silver filters are made by Wix.

Otherwise, here are some other good brands:

AC Delco
Purolator (Motorcraft, Powerflo or Proline are rebranded Purolator filters)
SuperTech (Wal-Mart brand) - made by Champion

Thanks for all the replies.....

I'm definitely going to look into ordering the Baldwin filters for everything but the SS. There is a local parts store that still carries the AC filters so that is probably what I will go with for the SS. It's just they charge almost $8 per filter. Oh well.....

How are Hastings filters? Looked around here a bit and never got a solid opinion. The reason I ask is that one of my uncles owns a truck stop and he can get Hastings for me dirt cheap. Seems that they are made by the same folks who make the Baldwins.

I would run Purolator Premium Plus in them all personally the flow is one of the best and filtering is very good.

However, I wouldn't hesitate to use AC, Wix, or Supertech. The filters over $5 are a waste IMO.

-T

quote:

Originally posted by shinerburke:
Thanks for all the replies.....

I'm definitely going to look into ordering the Baldwin filters for everything but the SS. There is a local parts store that still carries the AC filters so that is probably what I will go with for the SS. It's just they charge almost $8 per filter. Oh well.....

How are Hastings filters? Looked around here a bit and never got a solid opinion. The reason I ask is that one of my uncles owns a truck stop and he can get Hastings for me dirt cheap. Seems that they are made by the same folks who make the Baldwins.

Hastings are "retail" filter made at the same plant Baldwin filters are made. In most cases they are a lower quality filter designed for the retail trade. The Baldwin filters are an industrial/fleet filter of higher quality.
Both companies are owned by Clarcor:

http://www.clarcor.com/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back