WIX 57151 / NAPA Gold 7151 cheapened

This is what they looked like before compared to a motorcraft…

Attachments

• CAEFA667-92EC-49AB-B73E-7735AF207E9C.jpeg
    CAEFA667-92EC-49AB-B73E-7735AF207E9C.jpeg
    194.3 KB · Views: 211
Got any pictures? I was upset when I bought a bunch of Wix 57055 filters in December 2020 from Rock Auto and all but one were the "new, improved" Purolated version that I was not a big fan of.

Got any pictures? I was upset when I bought a bunch of Wix 57055 filters in December 2020 from Rock Auto and all but one were the "new, improved" Purolated version that I was not a big fan of.
I didn’t want to cut it open since I’m going to return it. But you can clearly see the cellulose media and rubber drain back valve. If there’s enough interest I’d eat the $40 and cut it open…

I didn’t want to cut it open since I’m going to return it. But you can clearly see the cellulose media and rubber drain back valve. If there’s enough interest I’d eat the $40 and cut it open…

Perhaps just take pictures of what you can take pictures of before returning it? I totally trust that you are being honest because stuff like this is obviously becoming a downhill trend in the industry but now you've peaked my curiosity :)

Yes but they use a different media on that and the beta ratio is terrible. The standard wix had a wire backed media and filtered at 99% 18 micron.
I've never seen or heard of the standard WIX having a wire backed media. And the standard WIX was never rated at 99% @ 18u, but rather 95% @ 20u.

You have a link to the source of this information?

Just take some photos of the uncut open filter.

But you can clearly see the cellulose media and rubber drain back valve.....
Maybe Wix is now using some of that black "silicone" for their adbvs too. Big (J/K) :D

Don't waste $40 by cutting it open. As noted, some pics of baseplate and/or down centertube should suffice. But, I have no reason to doubt you. Reads like they have cheapened this application. I did see what looks to be red silicone adbv and does say microglass media on this application on the Wix site.

Last edited:
I've never seen or heard of the standard WIX having a wire backed media. And the standard WIX was never rated at 99% @ 18u, but rather 95% @ 20u.

You have a link to the source of this information?

This. The regular WIX was always just regular filter media, while the XP was wire-backed synthetic, but had horrific efficiency.

The 7151 was wire-backed media.

Don't know why everyone is doubting you OP.

The 7151 was wire-backed media.

Don't know why everyone is doubting you OP.

Ahhhh, missed it was a diesel engine filter, that makes more sense.

OK, so to make this more interesting, their website still lists this filter as having microglass media:
Screen Shot 2022-01-26 at 6.11.48 PM.jpg

I suspect that they probably don't manufacture (or didn't manufacture) this filter. It's probably a rebox from Donaldson, Fleetguard or somebody else.

Back