Wix 51516 cut open

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrQuackers

Site Donor 2024
This filter only saw ~2500 miles (in an SL2) with an initial fill of a gallon of Mobil 1 TDT and a top-off near the end of a pint of MMO. Solid filter, only did a short interval since I was using an HDEO to clean things up a bit. I wrote down the date code, kind of hard to read but this is what it appears to be: 111212D3

I had this filter over a jar for over a month. Looks like less than an ounce drained in all that time.

15s6fqq.jpg

I cut a couple slits in the filter and let it drain. There was an additional 5-6 ounces trapped in the filter.

34s55cm.jpg

2lt5ait.jpg

j17l0o.jpg

2ly6gp2.jpg

2qle9t1.jpg

a5azyx.jpg

35bxttx.jpg

Media is perfect. It seems I could have gone much further with this cleaning cycle, but most recommend a very short interval when using HDEO in a gasser in case too much is cleaned up too fast. I guess I have done enough cleaning cycles and I have one of the cleanest SL2 engines around.

I'm going to start using these on the old van in place of the 51515/FL1A. The "skinny" filters (51516, L20195, FL400s, etc.) seem to have better construction. The last 51516 I cut open actually had a tad more media than the FL1A that had been on there prviously!

Last edited:
Yeah I don't understand why you guys get so concerned about Purolator when Wix is readily available. It's like you guys got blinders on or tunnel vision or something.
laugh.gif

Agreed, the Wix made filters seem a great option for the Framophobes who have been spooked off of Purolators.

Nothing wrong with WIX or NAPA Gold filters. Efficiency is 95% @ 20 microns, so not bad ... close to what the Purolator Classic is. WIX or NAPA Gold is a good substitute for the Classics, the Ultra or something else with 99% efficiency at 20 microns would be comparable (and some) to the PureOne.

wix is not sold in the big auto parts stores here in North Jersey they are sold in the smaller auto parts stores but they are kept behind the counter and are not as cheap as the purolaters. I like to look at the filters i put on my engines not just use the one the parts guy hands me.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
I like to look at the filters i put on my engines not just use the one the parts guy hands me.

Take the box and open it up right in front of the guy. I'm not the least bit embarrassed about checking for defects. Heck, I'm so hardcore, when I'm on the Snap-on truck, I'll take a set of tools out of the package and inspect each one individually!

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
wix is not sold in the big auto parts stores here in North Jersey they are sold in the smaller auto parts stores but they are kept behind the counter and are not as cheap as the purolaters. I like to look at the filters i put on my engines not just use the one the parts guy hands me.

Aren't there any Napas up there? Because they all have Wix filters. In fact, they only carry Wix filters!

Typical Wix/Napa Gold solid construction with metal thread end bypass and silicone adbv. No cost cutting combo valves at this tier filter level.

2500 miles not much of test and this one looks easily capable of double that or more. Looks good, thanks for the pics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back