Wix 51515 1.5 yrs 6,000 miles cut open

Status
Not open for further replies.
This came from a 99 Caravan that I don't drive much. The oil was changed but the filter is 1.5 years old. The media was clean and reasonably pliable although I did crack a portion when I was prying the pleats apart. I was going to use it for a few more months but the engine has developed a start up rattle so I removed it earlier than planned. Anti Drain Back Valve appears to be in good shape. There was no debris inside the can but cutting it open with a hacksaw does mess things up a bit.

You will notice the media is a little deformed and what you can't see it that the top and bottom end caps are not parallel. If you were to place the filter on a flat surface and rotate it, the top end plate would appear to wobble up and down. The filter is 4 inches tall on one side and 3 7/8 inches on the other. Noticeable with the naked eye. Overall, a little unimpressed. We'll see if the new filter [cheap Chinese junk] cures the occasional start up rattle.

Looks good, thank you for taking time to show
smile.gif

The van is a 99 doge caravan with a 3.3 V6 180,000 miles. I've had a few of these engines and really like them. Very reliable.

Wait, I guess you are confused because the WIX 51515 is not listed for the vehicle. I cross reference and use a bigger filter when I can.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: WobblyElvis
The van is a 99 doge caravan with a 3.3 V6 180,000 miles. I've had a few of these engines and really like them. Very reliable.

Wait, I guess you are confused because the WIX 51515 is not listed for the vehicle. I cross reference and use a bigger filter when I can.

Good point. Which is why I use a 3614/3600 filter
smile.gif

The deformity is not typical of a Wix.
Most say that wavy media is no big deal, and the filter did hold up fine, but still does not give me a warm/fuzzy feeling.

I thought the 51515 was the filter for the 3.3/3.6. It is what I used on my '05 Grand Caravan with the 3.6. Filter is easy to get to on that motor.

I don't think the 3.6 pentastar existed in 2005. You might be thinking of the 3.8 which is almost identical to the 3.3. You can see in the picture how the filter is bent or warped as one side of the filter is shorter than the other. I thought the WIX filter would have done better but it was in there for 1.5 years so maybe we have to give it a pass.

Wix calls for a 51085 for this engine but I find the 51515 fits just fine.

Does the 51085 buckle like that on your van?

It's not really Wix's fault since they do not spec the 51515 for your engine.

Can't say I've seen any other filter buckle. Don't know if I've ever used a WIX 51085. I usually buy whatever is on sale. Fram, Supertech, Canadian Tire [champ labs?] No name Chinese, or...

This WIX 51515 has the same bypass pressure, gasket diameter and thread size so I think it shouldn't be a problem. It's only one filter a little bent, no big deal.

Originally Posted By: WobblyElvis
I don't think the 3.6 pentastar existed in 2005. You might be thinking of the 3.8 which is almost identical to the 3.3. ...

Yup, 3.8 is what I meant.

Originally Posted By: car51
Which is why I use a 3614/3600 filter
smile.gif

These vans can use most any 3/4" thread filter, from the FL-1A/51515 (same size LARGE can) down to the 3614 - which is actually fine (large enough)

The size spec'd is actually the FL-300 or PH16 size (Same diameter, but shorter, than the FL-1a)

I have to regard this WIX filter as a failure. I cut the media off of the cylinder and found a few pin holes in the media. The centre tube was well secured to the end caps and the media was secured to the end caps well but caps are not parallel. You can see this in the first photo. I have not had a start up rattle since installing a cheap Coyo filter. I'm guessing the improper geometry of the end caps was preventing the anti drain back valve from sealing properly.

Originally Posted By: Linctex
Originally Posted By: car51
Which is why I use a 3614/3600 filter
smile.gif

These vans can use most any 3/4" thread filter, from the FL-1A/51515 (same size LARGE can) down to the 3614 - which is actually fine (large enough)

The size spec'd is actually the FL-300 or PH16 size (Same diameter, but shorter, than the FL-1a)

I can use a 3600 probably not able to use a FL1A but could check fitment on my Camry
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back