WIX 51356 size changed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just tried to take a WIX bought at OReilly off, filter cap wrench slipping. Backup cap wrench did also. Ended up upside down from top with x-large pump pliers.

I put the one I just bought on so I can drive, live way out of town. I think that's it for WIX and me. Threads were [censored] when putting new one on, really sloppy. Mexican made, not sure if that has anything to do with it, but perhaps teething problems in a new plant and thinner steel to save shipping?

Any suggestions for a good Honda filter besides WIX?

Last edited:
Fram Ultra if you don't mind spending $9 at Walmart.

Fram Ultra for sure. Made in America too.

They have the highest capacity for contamination and highest efficiency available for a spin on filter. Fram Ultra is 99%+ efficient at particles 20 microns and greater while a standard wix is only 95%. Also rated for 15,000 miles so you can easily run it two intervals like Honda wants.

So are you referring to the newer 57356 for Hondas which superseded the 51356?

Currently running the Napa Gold 7356 on an Accord, threaded nicely, no issues and is a quality filter made in the US. Now is a white can.

Originally Posted By: speedyk
Just tried to take a WIX bought at OReilly off, filter cap wrench slipping. Backup cap wrench did also. Ended up upside down from top with x-large pump pliers.

I put the one I just bought on so I can drive, live way out of town. I think that's it for WIX and me. Threads were [censored] when putting new one on, really sloppy. Mexican made, not sure if that has anything to do with it, but perhaps teething problems in a new plant and thinner steel to save shipping?

The reason why it didn't work was because you had the wrong filter. Don't be hating on wix because of that.

Thread size and gasket diameter is the same for both filters. Even if the filter is incorrect for his application, it should have threaded properly.

Originally Posted By: volk06

The reason why it didn't work was because you had the wrong filter. Don't be hating on wix because of that.

It's true that the 51356 has the same thread size and gasket as the newer 57356, however as posted here in the past Wix changed the 57356 baseplate geometry for "more thread engagement and a better gasket seal."

As the OP's post is unclear to me, I'm unsure of which filter the OP had an issue. As said, I recently installed the NG7356 with no issues and it doesn't resemble the OP's description.

I am unclear of your issue too.

Verify you have the correct spec'd filter according to Oreillys site. If its the correct filter, exchange it for another WIX. If that doesn't work, I am willing to bet something is wrong with the threads on your engine. My .02.

I have used/ seen both Mexican and Polish made WIX filters and couldn't tell a difference. The country of origin doesn't necessarily dictate the quality.

OP here. I have been using this number of filter for over ten years, 04 Element, first as NAPA Gold/Silver because I didn't know about WIX, then NAPA jacked prices and a helpful counter guy told me about how it's really a WIX so I started buying them instead.

I just found out about the 57356 yesterday when searching for the issue I had. Have never tried one, no problem doing so, but not germane to this post. I just go in and get the part number I've always used, not one store has suggested a change.

The cap wrenches I have are not high quality, but they have always fit whatever I got. Sometimes when traveling I used other brands for one change, the wrenches worked. I also use them to tighten a bit further than hand-tight because it's hard to see back there. I did notice I couldn't tighten firmly when I installed it, but forgot that later and bought another one.

Anyway, the filter I installed yesterday had very sloppy threading, so loose that it was hard to find the starting point, then when started was willing to flop around in a way I have never felt before, but I've only been doing this for about 30 years.

I thank you for all your replies. I've actually been by the factory (Champion?) that makes FRAM in Illinois, long time ago, but I recognised the name from reading BITOG reviews of the infamous cardboardy FRAMs.

I put the wrenches in the car and will go try them on various brands to how many others have changed next time I'm in town.

I don't mind buying a new wrench, but I resent the company making a change and not mentioning it. Stupid, because the selling store could have dinged me for a new wrench if they had it together.

Last edited:
Fram is JUNK a well known fact, never had any issues with Wix 51356 as i just used one on my victory motorcycle

Originally Posted By: benjy
Fram is JUNK a well known fact, ...

Such massive generalizations really are not helpful. You are more than welcome to your opinion, but what is your basis for this position?
- Most here would disagree the FU is junk; a top tier offering.
- The TG is a excellent buy with good construction at a good price.
- Even the EG is a decent filter, and serves millions of vehicles with no issues, although there are other choices for the price range.

Please explain why, in detail, you believe all Frams are junk.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis

They have the highest capacity for contamination and highest efficiency available for a spin on filter. Fram Ultra is 99%+ efficient at particles 20 microns and greater while a standard wix is only 95%. Also rated for 15,000 miles so you can easily run it two intervals like Honda wants.
Sounds more like a sales pitch then a suggestion.

Originally Posted By: steveh
Originally Posted By: 901Memphis

Sounds more like a sales pitch then a suggestion.

What? Would it have been better for him to just say Fram Ultra and give no reasoning or data to back it up?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back