Wix 3.0 Duratec filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
I picked this up today for my girlfriends 2011 Ford Escape 3.0. I bought it at O'Reilly's for $19.99. The Motorcraft ones run the same price. I didn't want to drive to the dealer. I have a O'Reilly's a block away. The Frams were more money then OEM and Wix. This filter is made in the USA also.

image1_zpsb6daad8f.jpg

image2_zps96cc2974.jpg

Is that a Fram or??? Looks OK whatever it is. Anything with an expensive filter like this is a good candidate for a restriction gauge. That way you can replace it at the RIGHT time, not on some arbitrary schedule that is usually way too short.

Ford calls for 30K intervals for the air filter. She just bought it used with 27,000 miles on it. That's why I bought it.

Not calling you out, just making a point that based on restriction, most air filters are nowhere near needing replacement at the factory intervals. With an expensive filter element, the expense of a Filterminder (or some other restriction gauge) could soon pay for itself by double or tripling the FCI. There is no advantage to changing a filter sooner than it needs to be (based on restriction) and many disadvantages in changing it early.

+1 to all Jim.

I think most people could easily double their FCI with a proper filter minder. I like the K&N since its more sensitive. If the filter minder costs about the same as one filter element and you double your FCI, you have paid for your investment, plus you get the benefit of not contaminating the clean side of the intake tract from opening it too much.

http://www.amazon.com/85-2445-Filter-Minder-Push/dp/B000E5XQDY

+1 also!

I have around 35k on my current filter, and i've only used about %40 of filter life per my minder. To look at this filter most would freak out and change it asap, per minder not time yet.

Still lots of life left, and that is pulling a car hauler in sandy Nc for 30k miles. Imop get a minder and run it out. Your engine and wallet will thank you.

I wonder how new car dealerships feel about people mangling up their intakes to put in filter minders? Do you think anyone has ever had any warranty trouble from these?

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
I wonder how new car dealerships feel about people mangling up their intakes to put in filter minders? Do you think anyone has ever had any warranty trouble from these?

I wouldn't say, "mangling up their intakes" necessarily applies:

ToyLC200AirFilterMonitor8_07FEB13_zps15b4c87d.jpg

It would be pretty hard to make a case that the installation of a filter minder was the root cause for any kind of failure requiring warranty repair, IMHO.

thumbsup2.gif

Yeah, this is a case of "manglers need not apply."

If a person can't properly drill one hole and fit a grommet, somebody needs to lock up his tools and probably his hood.

Originally Posted By: Jim Allen

If a person can't properly drill one hole and fit a grommet, somebody needs to lock up his tools and probably his hood.

I like to try filter minder in my S2000, but I'm afraid that I may screw up the air intake hose and end up buying a replacement, so far it looks like only dealer has it and can be expensive. If I have a spare one on hand then I may try it.

I was probably a bit to clever in my reply above. Most installations are very simple, so you would have to be a fairly dedicated mangler to get it wrong. Some instos are more difficult and I appreciate the need for caution sometimes. Plus, there's always the old Clint Eastwood "limitations" line to keep in mind.

FYI, you don't want to put a filter minder into a tube at or near a bend or a vortex. It will skew the readings. You want it ideally in the chamber above the filter (as shown gaijinny's pic above). It won't work on carbureted gas engines very well either because the choke operation throws it off.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Originally Posted By: Jim Allen

I like to try filter minder in my S2000, but I'm afraid that I may screw up the air intake hose and end up buying a replacement, so far it looks like only dealer has it and can be expensive. If I have a spare one on hand then I may try it.

Mine went on real easy, have 60k miles on my filter and still not getting over 8"(of water) restriction.
http://s188.photobucket.com/user/rodrounds/library/Honda Intake?sort=2&page=1

ROD

An elegant install!
What is a LC 200? Maybe not sold in USA.
Thanks for noting that you removed the MAF sensor before drilling.
Was it possible to remove that extra filter in the upper air filter housing to remove any shavings from drilling? If not, any trouble getting those shavings out?
Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back