With SL: Dino's made the better improvement

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now that I have your attention, this is not an in-depth scientific analysis, but...
I got these reports done by an independent oil testing company who test various engine oils, they are known as VoxPop report, a division of the Institute of Materials, Inc. You have to pay for these (they were 29.00 but now they are 9.99, more must be using them).
Anyway, I was looking at the 5/98 report on Mobil 1 0W30 and Amsoil Series 2000 0W30. I compared these to the 7/2002 results on the 5W30 Pennzoil and 5W30 Havoline. The cold weather performance and Oxidation resistance for the most recent dino's, (SL) are just as good and report in Pumping Viscosity is BETTER on the new SL 5W30 Pennzoil than on the Extreme SJ 0W30 Mobil 1.
Though I do not draw any conclusions from all of this, it does give me a hunch that when the oils went to SL the dino's made the biggest improvements; taking into account that formulas are always changing.
Any other opinions?

Good Day,
Steven

It did seem to take a while before the synthetic oils obtained the SL level. Several conventional motor oils seemed to get there first. Maybe it is easier to formulate a conventional motor oil.

The conventional motor oils today probably are as good as the early synthetic oils.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back