With is in my oil filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The debris dosent seem to be metal. It breaks down pretty easily rubbing between my fingers. Filters and oil have always been real clean till now. The filter is a Beck n Arnley. It seemed like a good filter except the media was very easy to tear. Just a little pressure. The can was fairly thick and the bypass valve was a nice design.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

http://tinypic.com/m/kajpl1/1
[Linked Image]

Last edited:
Carbon particles due to piston blow-by during enriched cold start-ups during colder weather months. Seen the same thing before just during the winter time.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
Carbon particles due to piston blow-by during enriched cold start-ups during colder weather months. Seen the same thing before just during the winter time.

That makes sense since it's been a colder than usual winter.

Originally Posted by Mainia
Whats with all the water on your filter, your in Texas, not Minnesota. You don't even have a winter.........

It got down to freezing a few times and near there a number of times. That's cold for Texas.
Yeah I know your kinda cold up there
crazy.gif

Originally Posted by FordBroncoVWJeta
What kind of car OP?

Oh yeah sorry. It came off a Mazda 1.5 engine non turbo. The oil is pp 5w30. SN formula. Filter has 5k on it. I just changed the filter actually cuz I wanted to see if I thought these Beck n Arnleys will hold up. I have a few of them. Now I guess I will go ahead and dump the oil.

Originally Posted by Pinoak
It got down to freezing a few times and near there a number of times. That's cold for Texas.
Yeah I know your kinda cold up there
crazy.gif

Amen to that one!

Which is a very goo reason not to live up North .

Did you find those clumps in the oil in the pan , also ?

My Camry had the same junk at 140k when I picked it up. I recently posted about finding the same junk after 60k's worth of 5k OCI's, still coming out of the engine. No one seemed concerned. Might be years of neglect coming out, might just be blowby. As long as it keeps running and not drinking oil I'm content to ignore. Maybe I'm pushing conventional too far at 5k in this particular engine, but I find that hard to believe, and I don't see a real reason to switch.

supton,

Is this over a 6 month interval or shorter? If so I'd be content to keep doing that with a quality name brand oil like Valvoline, Pennzoil, Mobil, etc...

I change the oil every 10 weeks or so, so around 2.5 months. Was using Valvoline for a bit but went to Supertech as it was cheaper.

Whats with all the water on your filter, your in Texas, not Minnesota. You don't even have a winter.........

Maybe a sign of short trips in cold weather.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix

Maybe a sign of short trips in cold weather.

Oh, I had the element in the sink when I washed my hands. It got wet then.

Originally Posted by FordBroncoVWJeta
That to me looks like a lot of gunk. I'm guessing someone at some point didn't do routine oil changes on it.

Always have kept up maintenace since new.

Originally Posted by WyrTwister
Which is a very goo reason not to live up North .

Did you find those clumps in the oil in the pan , also ?

No I didn't drain the oil yet. Just changed the filter. I'll change the oil maybe tomorrow and see how it looks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back