With gas prices climbing I think it's time to bring back the

The Mobil Economy Runs.

Time to find out the real fuel economy numbers of the various manufactures.

The Mobil Economy Run was an annual event which took place in the United States from 1936 to 1968 except during World War II. It was designed to provide real fuel economy figures during a coast-to-coast test on public roads, with regular traffic and weather conditions.

Plus there comes bragging rights for the manufactures.

The Mobil Economy Runs.

Time to find out the real fuel economy numbers of the various manufactures.

Plus there comes bragging rights for the manufactures.

We've come a LONG WAY since those days! I don't think I ever squeezed even 20 MPG out of my old iron, except maybe my death trap air cooled VWs.

Screenshot_20220323-201536_Chrome.jpg

I drove early 80s econobox water cooled VWs up until my newest (1987) rotted to the point I could no longer fix it. Never got less than 35mpg all day long, going 75+ on the interstate too.

I miss those cars. Manual everything, including the sunroof. Not much to break, and parts were very interchangeable, I has several parts/donor cars.

I was living in Montana in the mid 1980's when the posted speed limits on the interstate were still 55mph.

I was returning home to Butte on I-15 when I was pulled over. The officer was going in the opposite direction. I looked in the mirror and saw his lights turn on. I just pulled over and waited for him. The Montana highway patrol makes you sit in the passenger seat of their cruiser so you can see the radar display. I was clocked doing 86mph.

The officer explained to me that exceeding the posted 55mph during daylight hours is considered an abuse of natural resources and carries a $5 fine, payable to the officer and the ticket is my receipt. Full speeding fines are assessed after sundown.

IMO, common sense penality with the intent of the law considered.

My problem with 55mph limit is that I’ve only had one car that could top gear at that speed—everything else much preferred 60 or so, else it I had to feather my speed to crest the hill.

That and I would never want to drive cross country at that speed!

27.82 mpg is impressive for such a heavy car. My neighbor had an army green car that was just like the winner in the video. The body style of the Studebaker is quite impressive. Those cars were very dependable too and easy to repair due to the simplicity of the entire vehicle. I wonder how many shows that narrator commented on? His voice has been heard on many shows unless maybe there is a way to make the narrator's all sound the same as other voices. They are so monotone.

Back