With Black Friday coming up anyone else getting flagged?

I receive a call this morning which is actually out of the norm for me especially for being Sat. morning, my phone is through Google and has a call filter and was screening the call and did not get it right and said it was front denture department calling me which totally didn't sound right so I get online and actually search for the phone number to see what came up and it was actually the fraud detection department. I've had this happen once before but was a long time ago and I had only used one card as of recent so I called the number on back of the card. The first wait wasn't too bad but she couldn't help me, there were no prompts that would let you get to the different departments so I guess that person screens your calls and then forwards you to the correct one. I finally get the next person after waiting 18 min, he asks for some information and then places me on hold again to verify so after another wait I have to verify more information and also a previous transaction and then the most recent one that was flagged... at the end of the call he asks a question of if I felt urged, forced or basically coerced into making that purchase. I'm sure most of the ones that got flagged were most likely legit transactions especially with this time of the year with Black Friday. I'm not really one of those people who get into the whole Black Friday thing but if I find something that I want and on sale then I'm all in.

So with everyone having sales this month and getting ready for Black Friday it seems like the sales got an earlier start and are happening all month long.

My Citibank card got hacked *again* at the beginning of October and I received a text and e-mail about a questionable purchase, so I contacted them and once I entered my account number in the phone, the system said that they were sending me over to the fraud department and we got things straightened out.

Here's the weird thing; as part of the process, the rep at the other end had to end the call and call me back at the number they have on file for me, which is my cell. The phone rang about 15 seconds later, only Verizon had it flagged as "Potential Spam". It was Citibank, and it was the rep I'd just spoken to, but if I wasn't expecting that call, I would have ignored it. That doesn't leave me with a sense of confidence.

My Citibank card got hacked *again* at the beginning of October and I received a text and e-mail about a questionable purchase, so I contacted them and once I entered my account number in the phone, the system said that they were sending me over to the fraud department and we got things straightened out.

Here's the weird thing; as part of the process, the rep at the other end had to end the call and call me back at the number they have on file for me, which is my cell. The phone rang about 15 seconds later, only Verizon had it flagged as "Potential Spam". It was Citibank, and it was the rep I'd just spoken to, but if I wasn't expecting that call, I would have ignored it. That doesn't leave me with a sense of confidence.

It seems like companies are so behind and yet this is the 21st century. They could easily send you a text to your phone stating they've detected suspicious activity on your card number ending in xxxx and for you to call the number that is on the back of the card. I've found that reading almost everything online is that if someone calls you do not give them any information as you don't know who they really are and could easily spoof their number. I am overly suspicious getting random calls and the call filter typically does a decent job of screening the calls but a few end up making their way through.

But yes I've had credit card companies either call you back or they will send a text message to your phone to verify who you really are. This one is through my credit union but I've found is that they actually subcontract a lot of it out so I'm not actually dealing with them but rather a 3rd party.

My iPhone is my regular phone. If the caller is not in my Contacts app then I don’t answer it. If it’s important they can send me a text message.

So it'd seem at least some of this is contracted out because it's the same phone # for two local banks here: Bank of Colorado and TBK (the latter of which seems to be snatching up every small time bank around here, and they SUCK). I've actually got them in my contacts as "BOC fraud" and have for several years....so when I recently had to call TBK fraud I knew it was the same #

BOC (Bank of Colorado) does also text me

As for credit cards, Amex immediately calls me, texts me and emails me.

While looking at my Amazon account this week, I got a phone call telling me they had detected fraud on the account. Push 1 to be connected to an Amazon customer service representative to help with resolving the problem. Was tempted to respond but let it go because I knew I would hear some charlatan located in India,Indonesia or worse telling me something had to be done immediately or I would pay big $$ for merchandise I did not order.

It seems like companies are so behind and yet this is the 21st century. They could easily send you a text to your phone stating they've detected suspicious activity on your card number ending in xxxx and for you to call the number that is on the back of the card. I've found that reading almost everything online is that if someone calls you do not give them any information as you don't know who they really are and could easily spoof their number. I am overly suspicious getting random calls and the call filter typically does a decent job of screening the calls but a few end up making their way through.

But yes I've had credit card companies either call you back or they will send a text message to your phone to verify who you really are. This one is through my credit union but I've found is that they actually subcontract a lot of it out so I'm not actually dealing with them but rather a 3rd party.

Capitalone does this. They send texts and emails to alert of suspicious activity. Really, the onus is on them. They're the ones responsible for the loss.

Capitalone does this. They send texts and emails to alert of suspicious activity. Really, the onus is on them. They're the ones responsible for the loss.

I have my CapitalOne and Chase credit cards set up so that if any purchase is made I get an immediate text. My cards have been hacked maybe 3 times in the last 6 years.

Earlier this year I was having problems with my Amd build and sold the cpu & motherboard to a friend so I've been using an older workstation that I've had lying around for awhile now and upgraded it to get me by in the meantime before I can replace those parts that I had sold to him earlier before this mess happened and then prices went crazy. Last night I ordered a new cpu and some extra hard drives so I could upgrade my server. I'm sure if I had left the cpu out that it wouldn't have been a problem. What gets me is that I even used the same shipping address as the billing, typically when you ship to another address than your billing that it will create issues.

I guess maybe I've been lucky and never had to deal with a hacked card... knocks on wood.

I have my CapitalOne and Chase credit cards set up so that if any purchase is made I get an immediate text. My cards have been hacked maybe 3 times in the last 6 years.

Same here! Called one in within a few minutes of it getting hacked, and while on the phone with the Citi CSR they were still making purchases on my card.

Back