Wish Me luck Fellas! Shortest night/longest day of my early 40s...

My Temple which I don’t go to much anymore is down the road in Bexley a few miles from James and Main. I was just at John Glenn International on Saturday to drop a carton of cigs off to my younger sister that flew to Poland. Spoke of on page 144 in the random photo thread. James and Main is a bad area. I’m in Worthington for the next few weeks until I move into my new home. But James and Main is one of those areas where crack heads can buy a stem in a mom & pop carryout.
They inherited a "free" house... But before that they were on Kossuth, a little south of children's...
Where they are now is marginally better...
Right on the edge of Bexley, near the montresori school

It's Currently 6:51pm. I need to go to sleep...
My Parents have a 6 am Flight in out of Columbus in the morning. I Volunteered to drive them.
6am Flight, means they need to be at the airport by 4a (90min-120min before flight).
Said Airport is roughly 2 hrs from here (little over 100 mi)
which means we need to leave by 2am, which for me means getting up between midnight and 1am.
Drop them at the airport @ 4, then scurry the 2 hrs back home, in time for my 6a-2:30p shift.( I was only able to trade shifts by an hour, originally scheduled 5a-1:30p)

so... 4-5 hrs of sleep (realistically) drive 4hrs/200 mi, then work my full shift (which involves walking roughly 7 mi over the course of the day)
Luckily I have Tues& Weds off, so after work Monday, I can go home and Die.
Wa wa wa, suck it up and get some coffee.

My last day at work (Sunday):

Up at 02:00* - shower, breakfast, hour long ride to the airport, security, walk through multiple terminals, flight plan, brief flight crew, brief with ground crew.

Push back in London Heathrow at 07:00

Fly 200+ people across the Atlantic while conducting training on a new pilot.

Land Newark 3:00PM

13 hour day. But it’s not over.

Catch a flight to IAD at 7:00PM. change planes. Flight to ORF at 10:00PM. Land at 11:00PM.

Drive home. Arrived at 12:00 Midnight. 22 hours awake.

Bed by 12:30AM. Up at 05:30 to take my wife to the hospital.

Your day seems pretty easy, honestly. You slept in later than I did. Shorter day at work than I had. Got home sooner. Didn’t have to get up early the next day.

And I’m a decade or two your senior.

*Times corrected to East Coast

Yep, folks don’t know the life of a commercial airline pilot. Lots of hours away from home and time spent traveling to get to and from work. More time if there’s weather delays or a problem with aircraft.

Last edited:
Yep, folks don’t know the life of a commercial airline pilot. Lots of hours away from home and time spent traveling to get to and from work. More time if there’s weather delays or a problem with aircraft.
Commuting at an airline isn't all that it's cracked up to be for this reason. But, it is a choice.

Flight made it in to Denver 20 min ahead of schedule. Got dad a wheelchair/ or the courtesy wagon, golf cart thingy, ( trouble with his right side from parkinson's) the driver/handler was with them from the gate, to the baggage claim, and all the way to the shuttle to Alamo rent a car.
Over an hour.

We reserved a full size, "Ford Fusion or similar"

What they got is some sort of KIA
Moms detailed description was " in a white KIA"

Dad " this full sized KIA is a piece of 💩"
Then she chimed in " it's a bit Tinny "

The rental ( Monday to Monday) with insurance cost as much as the round trip flight for both of them.

Anyone wanna venture a guess what model they got?

I think every rental car company is the same way. You rent a "full size" or "compact" or whatever and they only give examples of what each could be.

Flight made it in to Denver 20 min ahead of schedule. Got dad a wheelchair/ or the courtesy wagon, golf cart thingy, ( trouble with his right side from parkinson's) the driver/handler was with them from the gate, to the baggage claim, and all the way to the shuttle to Alamo rent a car.
Over an hour.

The rental ( Monday to Monday) with insurance cost as much as the round trip flight for both of them.

K5? If so, the dash probably reflects terribly against the windshield.

I don't know if it passes for "full size," but Enterprise gave me that model last year.

Over an hour.

Let me guess. :unsure:
1663798132663.jpg

It's Currently 6:51pm. I need to go to sleep...
My Parents have a 6 am Flight in out of Columbus in the morning. I Volunteered to drive them.
6am Flight, means they need to be at the airport by 4a (90min-120min before flight).
Said Airport is roughly 2 hrs from here (little over 100 mi)
which means we need to leave by 2am, which for me means getting up between midnight and 1am.
Drop them at the airport @ 4, then scurry the 2 hrs back home, in time for my 6a-2:30p shift.( I was only able to trade shifts by an hour, originally scheduled 5a-1:30p)

so... 4-5 hrs of sleep (realistically) drive 4hrs/200 mi, then work my full shift (which involves walking roughly 7 mi over the course of the day)
Luckily I have Tues& Weds off, so after work Monday, I can go home and Die.
Are we twins?

Back