.....wish I could buy this here.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
....only available "down under"

Mobil 1 5W-50

Ultimate Performance Synthetic Engine Oil

Product Description

Mobil v 5W-50 is the ultimate performance, fully synthetic race proven engine oil designed to provide unsurpassed protection for the engines of all petrol, LPG and diesel powered passenger cars, light trucks, 4WD's and vans. Mobil v 5W-50 is particularly suitable for high performance engines, especially those fitted with turbochargers, operating under the most severe conditions. This oil is formulated from wax-free synthesised hydrocarbons and a unique, proprietary additive system to provide exceptional thermal and oxidation stability. This, together with it's naturally high resistance to viscosity change with temperature, ensures that full protection is maintained at temperatures at which other oils begin to oxidise, degrade and thicken. Mobil v 5W-50 remains fluid at temperatures well below -54°C and provides outstanding starting and wear protection during the critical warm-up period, even under extreme cold weather conditions. Extensive field experience and testing clearly demonstrate that the Mobil v family of engine oils have the ability to maintain engines in an "as new" condition, with virtually no wear and minimal sludge or deposit build-up. After more than 1.6 million km of severe operation, critical engine components remained within the manufacturers' measurement specifications for new parts. The inherently low traction co-efficient of the Mobil synthesised hydrocarbons reduces power losses and contributes to improvements in fuel economy. Emissions are reduced and catalyst efficiency is increased.

Applications

Mobil v 5W-50 is recommended for use in all types of passenger cars, light duty trucks, 4WD's and vans powered by petrol, LPG, and diesel engines. It is particularly recommended for high performance engines, including those which are turbocharged. Car marker's recommendations for oil drain and filter change intervals should be followed. Fully compatible with other engine oils however for best results install Mobil v 5W-50 at your next oil change and use only Mobil v for top-up.

Benefits/Advantages

Mobil v 5W-50 offers performance benefits which are beyond those possible with semi-synthetic, mineral oil and hybrid engine oils. These include:
Exceptional anti-wear performance and excellent high temperature protection
Fast starting a low temperatures with outstanding protection for petrol, LPG and diesel engines
Superior performance in turbo and multi-valve engines.

Specifications

Meets: API SL/SJ/CF & ACEA A3/B3/B4. Approved against MB 229.3 & VW 505.00. Porsche approved.

Typical Properties Mobil v 5W-50
Product Number 481192
Material Number 971596
SAE Grade 5W-50
Viscosity cSt @ 40°C 105
cSt @ 100°C 17.5
Viscosity Index 184
Viscosity after shear cSt @ 100°C 16.8
HTHS Viscosity (150°C/106 S-1) cSt 4.2
CCS Viscosity cP @ -30°C 5200
MRV Viscosity / Yield Stress cP @ -35°C 20,000 / NOACK Volatility 1 hr at 250°C Loss wt % 7.0
Flash Point, °C 230
Pour Point, °C -54

Very impressive specs. NOAK of 6.9% is nice. Delvac 1 looks comparable only a 40wt though. I wonder if this is a SS formula? This is a TOP notch oil. The american market has it's restrictions..API CAFE etc. This would be a good choice for a BMW M3.

Updated specs. This oil though is too heavy for most cars today. Any reason why Mobil abroad reports more specs for there oils? NOAK etc.??

quote:

Meets: API SJ/CF/ EC, ACEA A3-98/B3-98/B4-98, JASO VTW. Approved against VW 501.01/505.00. Also BMW & Porsche approved.

Typical Properties

Mobil v 5W-50

SAE Grade
5W-50
Viscosity cSt @ 40°C
cSt @ 100°C
Viscosity Index
Viscosity after shear cSt @ 100°C
HTHS Viscosity (150°C/106 S-1) cSt
CCS Viscosity cP @ -25°C
MRV Viscosity / Yield Stress cP @ -30°C
11200/ NOACK Volatility 1 hr at 250°C Loss wt %
Flash Point, °C
Pour Point, °C

[ July 15, 2003, 09:58 PM: Message edited by: buster ]

Alex D/Buster,

I've been following 5/50 too. I have been very impressed with the technical/descriptive info I have seen on it. Since 5/50s are or have been marketed in the US, wish Mobil would try it here.

Alex D, Great pruduct discription and you know me I would send it out for analysis. I wish companies would give that much product discription on a bottle! mikeyoilnutt

buster,
was at BigW the other day, and the supersyn has just made it onto the shelves. (50/50 of the old style - still SL - bottle, 50% marked SS).

BTW, what's the SuperSyn actually mean ?

I'm sure their 0w40 would probably do a better job anyways, so just use that. Like I've said before, these 50wts are too thick for best engine wear in about 99% of what's on the road today.

Shannow, SuperSyn is simply the name they've given their mixture of antiwear additives.

[ July 16, 2003, 04:43 AM: Message edited by: Patman ]

That M1 5w50 formulation is very old. Its before the Tri-Synthetic! So its no big deal.. There should be plenty of 50wt synthetics over in USA?

And yes finally SuperSyn is available here. About **** time. But im not waiting for it. I'm switching to Motul! =)

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:
I'm sure their 0w40 would probably do a better job anyways, so just use that. Like I've said before, these 50wts are too thick for best engine wear in about 99% of what's on the road today.

Shannow, SuperSyn is simply the name they've given their mixture of antiwear additives.

Thanks Patman.

As to the 0W-40, I too think it's a good compromise between the thin/thick.

Aussies grew up with 20W-50, and 25W-50, never put up with oil consumption, and seemed to get good engine life.

Then about 15 years ago, they came out with 25W-60s and 35W-70s.

Even mobil make a couple of 25W-60s these days.

Saw for the first time today Fuchs Titan HV70 (40W-70, whatever that is supposed to mean).

If I get the nerve, I'll try it and get a UAO done on it.

Shannow,

If you put a 40W-70 in your car, you are my new hero!!!!
grin.gif
(For what that's worth)

I like 5-50's as well. Thin when cold and great 50 weight HT/HS >4.0.

However, why is it that you guys cringe when 5-50's are mentioned..."they have too many VII's"....etc., but here is M-1...ahhh...that make it OK?? If M-1 0-40 was any indication of how M-1 large-spread viscosity oils break down, then imagine the 5-50? But then again, I think that overseas formulations of Mobil 1 are different (aka better) than the formulation we get here. Although I've emailed Mobil about why they don't have the 5-50 available here in N.A., they tell me to use the 15-50...go figure.

Otherwise, I think all the U.S. 5-50 synth's are group III's and the Syntec fits nice. Better performance than M-1 15-50. Not sure about going super-extended with it, but after 5k, it still looked good. Put it in my girlfriend's 1.6L Suzuki this weekend...

quote:

Otherwise, I think all the U.S. 5-50 synth's are group III's and the Syntec fits nice. Better performance than M-1 15-50. Not sure about going super-extended with it, but after 5k, it still looked good. Put it in my girlfriend's 1.6L Suzuki this weekend...

You don't think the 0w30 Syntec would've been a much better choice here? I sure do. That little engine will lose some much needed power with that thick oil.

I still wonder out loud why you won't provide us with UOA evidence to back up your claims that these thick oils are better for engine longevity.

PS-hurry up and make another post, you're at 666 right now!
shocked.gif

Dr. T, I don't think your thinking is correct. A thicker oil with a higher HT/HS does't make the oil better or an engine last longer. As far as I know, there isn't any proof of this either. Loss of HP and excessive heat isn't good either and that is what you will have with a 50wt oil in a car that calls for a 30wt. I know too many people that get well over 200k miles out of there car with cheap 30wt dino oil. There overseas oils aren't better, but just formulated to meet different specs.
gr_stretch.gif

[ July 16, 2003, 04:57 PM: Message edited by: buster ]

buster, there was a link somewhere on this board that showed a study that there is a minimum HT/HS that will provide adequate engine protection (2.6 or something I think)

quote:

buster, there was a link somewhere on this board that showed a study that there is a minimum HT/HS that will provide adequate engine protection (2.6 or something I think)

There is, but if you notice the new M1 0w-20 or any 20wt, they usually contain extra amounts of moly. I'm not saying a weak 20wt oil will protect as good as a 50wt oil, I am saying that there is an in between range that is the right balance. Once you get to the upper end of the visc. range, I would think that you would start to see more negatives from heat, hp loss etc.

quote:

Originally posted by pscholte:
Shannow,

If you put a 40W-70 in your car, you are my new hero!!!!
grin.gif
(For what that's worth)

pscholte,
I'm considering running a heavy weight (then doing UOA), just for the experimental value. Patman's question is legitimate, and I'd like to get some data there.

Checked into a locally made (SL rated) 40W-70, and am not overly comfortable with cold starts in Lithgow (-7C).

And I reckon a heavy weight should be tested in winter, as that's where it should perform worse.

So checking around a bit, it looks like I'm going to short change my Delo400, and (prolly) run Penrite HPR30 (20W-60)

visc @ 40 206
visc @ 100 24.4
NOAK 6.3
HT/HS 6.4
shocked.gif
(should be enough).

Have to find a lab, as I've never done one of these afore (will do the short changed Delo too probably)

quote:

Maybe for some engines, but not for all.

My 2.8 V6 12v Audi engine requires an oil with an HT/HS >3.5
This means that for my car M1 0W-40, which has a HT/HS of 3.6 is almost borderline of what I can use. That's why I don't feel absolutely comfortable with this oil. M1 15W-50 has however an HT/HS of 5.11. This is making me think again about that oil...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back