Wireless rate

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
Hello,

Quick question about wireless rate. When I look at the 192.168.1.1 screen in DD-wrt, it gives me all sorts of interesting information. One thing that it tells me right there is transmit power (I have it decreased to 25mW, still works out to the street and upstairs strong) and wireless rate.

Im currently connected in Windows. It tells me that Im connected at 54 MBPS. However, the rate value on the DDWRT screen fluctuates roughly between 24 and 54 MBPS.

Is 54 the "optimum" which changes based upon signal quality or something similar (I'm sitting next to the router), or does the rate just naturally fluctuate as some sort of logic based upon what kinds of data transport is going on between the router and things connected?

THanks for any explanations you can give!

I think 54 is the max transmission rate based on ideal conditions.
You can probably tweak some of the hidden settings on your computer to get it up a bit higher to max.

I assume your using a Linksys router. Those 3rd party firmwares can sure wake up and stabilise these routers.
I didn't like DD-WRT it kept dropping out and losing connections. (especially when file sharing)
Hyper WRT or Tomato firmware worked better on mine

I wouldn't decrease it down to 25 as this may cause transmission errors and decrease your throughput. Turning down the power won't necesarily help to keep your wireless network inside your house.

I would turn it up in small increments until you see a stable connection and stop there.

It will always be visible to others no matter how hard you try to contain it. It is wireless after all. People with a strong antenna that most hackers use to find networks will still pick it up even if it's set to the lowest setting and you have to sit beside your router! I have seen this with my own eyes!
shocked2.gif

Do the best to lock it up because it will never be 100% secure no matter how hard you try, so there is no need to frustrate yourself in the process with a poor signal.

cheers3.gif

I tuned down the power on mine too.
Doesn't seem to effect speed in any way but sure brought the temp of the router down!

Originally Posted By: StevieC
I wouldn't decrease it down to 25 as this may cause transmission errors and decrease your throughput. Turning down the power won't necesarily help to keep your wireless network inside your house.

I would turn it up in small increments until you see a stable connection and stop there.

It will always be visible to others no matter how hard you try to contain it. It is wireless after all. People with a strong antenna that most hackers use to find networks will still pick it up even if it's set to the lowest setting and you have to sit beside your router! I have seen this with my own eyes!
shocked2.gif

Do the best to lock it up because it will never be 100% secure no matter how hard you try, so there is no need to frustrate yourself in the process with a poor signal.

cheers3.gif

To much transmit power is not any better than not enough.

It varies the bandwidth not based upon use, but upon signal strength. The protocol is written to do exactly as it is. It is trying to maintain itself. If it tried to keep it at 54mps but couldn't, the computer would constantly be trying to resend packets. If it drops back, then the computer manages the data transfer and keeps the bandwidth full of data instead of retries.

Originally Posted By: tmorris1

To much transmit power is not any better than not enough.

I agree, that's why I told him to turn it up until he has a stable connection. I know from using DD-WRT that 25mw is extremely low and you would have to be almost beside the router to get a consistent signal.

Not really in my home. I can go out the front door and down to the street - and still have "full bars". I can go upstairs and have the same. Ditto for the back deck.

No issues with connection stability or performance anywhere in or around the house. Since I sit next to the router in my living room, I want to minimize the amount of energy being beamed into myself and my wife, yet still want to be able to use wireless. Preferably, I'd turn it down more!

I see 54MBPS often on all computers in all locations. It seems that it is "throttling", but Ill keep working to figure it out.

Thanks!

Originally Posted By: cosynthetics
It varies the bandwidth not based upon use, but upon signal strength. The protocol is written to do exactly as it is. It is trying to maintain itself. If it tried to keep it at 54mps but couldn't, the computer would constantly be trying to resend packets. If it drops back, then the computer manages the data transfer and keeps the bandwidth full of data instead of retries.

Intel WNIC's do it based on bandwidth use as well. I can sit 10ft from my N-router, and downloading from my main system, get 130Mbit (N) connection speed. If I stop transferring any large piece of data, it will drop the rate down into the 20's.

This was part of the Centrino implementation, essentially lowering rate and transmit power during periods of low usage, then ramping it back up as demand increases.

The transmitting power is hardware dependent. Buffalo ignores it and uses its own internal amplifier, and from what I know I usually keep it below 110mW, because above this value, the signal becomes non-linear and is actually worse. Most of the time I found 70mW on my setup is the best.

Signal rate has more to do with distance and clear line of sight than power.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back