wireless internet providers...

Status
Not open for further replies.
dialup with accelerator is very good for about 85% of all web surfing... If I didnt have DSL for $17.95/month, Id be doing accelerator dialup.

JMH

quote:

Originally posted by ScottB:
Clarify that with: don't hookup your Windows-based PC...
Other OSes don't have that issue to the same level - not even close.

Unix OSes sure do have that problem. Anyone who thinks otherwise ought to go look up "rootkit" on Google.

quote:

Originally posted by ScottB:
Come on, Brian. I run a Linux box and four Macs at home and not ONE single virus/spyware/rootkit violation ever.

With a sample size of one (Linux machine), you can't draw very many conclusions.

How about a larger sample size?

I worked for a company that offered "dedicated servers". I forget the exact figures, but they had about 500 Linux machines. The customer was responsible for maintaining the software. Many of them did not bother to patch and upgrade the box as required, and guess what? They got compromised, a root kit was installed, the boxes started port scanning and running IRC bots, they bacame FTP "warez" repositories, etc.

I got to deal with cleaning many of them up. At one point, we started installing Linux kernels without loadable modules support because someone created a loadable module that could hide itself and any rogue processes that are running or connections that are open. This meant that simply re-installing a fresh copy of "ps" and "netstat" wouldn't show what was going on.

The point is, ANY operating system needs to be patched with security fixes as they are made available. There have been security problems with the following software which runs under Unix (including Linux):

Qpopper (provides POP3 services)
Bind (provides nameserver service)
Sendmail (provides SMTP services)
wu-ftpd (provides FTP services)
SSHD version 1 (provides secure shell services)

There's many more.

Bottom line..if you think security is just an XP problem, I hope you have a good firewall.

[ July 06, 2006, 07:15 PM: Message edited by: brianl703 ]

quote:

Originally posted by 97tbird:
Thanks for the suggestions.

Dang! I need to get informed about this stuff...we will only need the wireless INside the house.
What level of technical know-how does one need for setting a router up, and securing it, after getting a DSL connection to the main PC? or is it better to let the DSL provider do the rest (setting up the router, etc?)

As far as I know our laptops both have wireless receivers (we get wireless when we are at school): (so we don't need adapters, only the router, right?)

Make certain you lock down the wireless, without some decent security your neighbors will all have access to your Internet connection as well as your PC's. Wireless is extremely easy to access, especially if you leave everything at the defaults.

You can check the device manager and see if your laptop has a wireless NIC in it.

For the most part a router is pretty easy to set up. However I much prefer to use a router with a firewall. Simple NAT is not enough in my opinion.

I would recommend a Wireless Router with a firewall. Make sure it has multiple ports (at least 4) for the LAN should you ever want to expand and plug a desktop in.

Wireless Security

The very action of network address translation, where one IP is shared among several machines which have internal IPs, does provide a firewall function.

Any traffic from the outside directed to the external IP will not be passed to any of the internal machines unless either it is in response to a connection opened by an internal machine or the user has created a mapping to tell the NAT device where to send the traffic.

The NAT device would have no idea where to send the unsolicited traffic if neither of these are the case, and would simply drop it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back