Winterization on Mercruiser 4.3L V6 2001 Need Suggestions on oil change

Hi Everyone,

I am completing the winterization on my 2001 Mercruiser 4.3L V6 this weekend. I was thinking of using 15W-40 Rotella T5 which is a synthetic blend. After doing some reading on here, I noticed that Rotella no longer has the SN rating on this oil. My boat does not have a catalytic converter.

Would I be ok with the 15w-40 Rotella T5, or would I be better with Mobil Delvac 1300 15w-40?

Thanks for the input!

The mercury filter that I have been using is part # 35-883702K. I used the Wix website to cross reference it to Wix 51040. Rock Auto seems to have a good price on the wix filters.

I would get a gas engine rated oil. Although it probably does not need to be SN for a 2001 19 year old engine.
Walmart has Mercruiser oil I think.

Some say marine oil filters have a thicker steel can given that they may be exposed to salt water and rust more.

I would get a gas engine rated oil. Although it probably does not need to be SN for a 2001 19 year old engine.
Walmart has Mercruiser oil I think.

Some say marine oil filters have a thicker steel can given that they may be exposed to salt water and rust more.
why? The uoas don't look a whole lot different.

I run Merc 25w-40 and usually Sierra, but otherwise Merc/Quicksilver filters on my 4.3 Alpha and 260 MIE. I may switch the inboard to the Merc 25w-50 as it is getting up in hours, but still running strong w/ good oil pressures. I had cut open the Merc/Q and Sierra filters a while back and I liked the Sierra's construction better, but both are perfectly fine.

I lean towards marine rated oils for their corrosion protection. Do quality non FWC rated oils provide the same protection?? Unknown, but the FWC cert does involve some level of corrosion protection.

Mercury doesn't make their own oil filters. They used AC oil filters for years though
changed to another (Champion) filter painted and labeled to their specs.
Oil was blended by Gold Seal for some years, may have changed recent years as I've been
retired for a few years now.

My 2¢

Back